Normal key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xena1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a "normal" key for the ignition in lieu of this stubby plastic one. I had a 2013 1500 which had normal keys but my 2018 2500 has the stubby one. Just hate the thing.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a "normal" key for the ignition in lieu of this stubby plastic one. I had a 2013 1500 which had normal keys but my 2018 2500 has the stubby one. Just hate the thing.
Sure- https://www.amazon.com/KeylessOptio...8-16227------------&vehicleName=2013+Ram+1500
Obviously, the metal blade sticking out the end of it has nothing to do with the ignition, as the new key will still have to be programmed for the ignition. The metal blade is only used for the exterior door lock, so by switching to this type of key, you will lose the ability to remotely lock and unlock your truck. The ONLY difference between the two styles is one has the door key blade hidden inside the fob, and the other has the door key blade fixed to the outside of the fob.

OP
OP
X

Xena1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Sure- https://www.amazon.com/KeylessOptio...8-16227------------&vehicleName=2013+Ram+1500
Obviously, the metal blade sticking out the end of it has nothing to do with the ignition, as the new key will still have to be programmed for the ignition. The metal blade is only used for the exterior door lock, so by switching to this type of key, you will lose the ability to remotely lock and unlock your truck. The ONLY difference between the two styles is one has the door key blade hidden inside the fob, and the other has the door key blade fixed to the outside of the fob.
Well my 2013 had a bladed key for both the doors and ignition. Other folks I knew had the stubby ones for the same year and earlier.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well my 2013 had a bladed key for both the doors and ignition. Other folks I knew had the stubby ones for the same year and earlier.
It doesn’t matter 2013 or 2018. The metal key blade only serves one purpose- to insert into the lock cylinder of the door or tailgate. The style key that you want doesn’t perform any function when inserted into the ignition. You can take a saw and cut the blade completely off, and the ignition will still work, because the rf chip inside is what allows the ignition to start the truck- 7NpSPqp.jpg

There are three styles of fobs for the ignition on the 2013-present Rams, and from a technological standpoint, they all start the truck the exact same way- they send a signal to the RF Hub, which gets verified, then the truck is allowed to start. One system isn’t any “simper” than the other, technologically speaking.

The only reason your 2018 came with the type of key fob that it did, is because it has remote keyless entry. So, you use the buttons on the key fob to remotely lock/unlock the doors. If you would have bought a 2018 that doesn’t have power door locks, or remote keyless entry, then you would have gotten the key fob with the blade sticking out of it. This is because you must use that blade to physically unlock the door every time you want to get into your locked truck, and it is more convenient than having to pull the blade out of the hidden compartment every time you need to unlock the door.

OP
OP
X

Xena1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Thanks! Wonder what the stealership would charge for a bladed key. Just not so bulky.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks! Wonder what the stealership would charge for a bladed key. Just not so bulky.

If you ordered those bladed keys from amazon, the dealer would charge about a hundred bucks to program them to your rf hub.

I kinda like those too.

My truck has remote keyless entry, with the hidden door key.

Ive always disliked how far the fob sticks out of the socket. Im always worried that ill hit it with my knee and break something.

I may order one of those, and cut the key blade off. Clean it up on the belt sander and program it with alpha obd. Then i wouldnt have a big, fragile 3 inch plastic fob sicking out of the dash.

Last edited:

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you ordered those bladed keys from amazon, the dealer would charge about a hundred bucks to program them to your rf hub.

I kinda like those too.

Ive always disliked how far the fob sticks out of the socket. Im always worried that ill hit it with my knee and break something.

I may order one of those, and cut the key blade off. Clean it up on the belt sander and program it with alpha obd. Then i wouldnt have a big, fragile 3 inch plastic fob sicking out of the dash.
I've had my truck for 3 years.. never even bumped the key chain with my knee.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
X

Xena1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Called local stealership today and they want $120 to cut and program keys. What a rip off. Wonder if key dealer would be able to do it.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've had my truck for 3 years.. never even bumped the key chain with my knee.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Ive been driving these since 2009, and neither have i.

I just like the lower profile key that doesnt stick out as far. I know its a ******** excuse, but i dont care. My dog likes it better too!

Plus, it gives me another opportunity to use AlphaOBD and gain experience with it.

Its worth $10 to me, so i ordered a set.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Called local stealership today and they want $120 to cut and program keys. What a rip off. Wonder if key dealer would be able to do it.

For 120$, you could buy an OBDlink and AlphaOBD and program them yourself. Amongst other things.

cory733

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I kinda like those too.

I hit my knee on it yesterday and turned the engine off while driving. Such a dumb place for that key to stick out. My other keys are constantly dangling onto my knee, I have to flip them up to where they're sitting on top of the key in the ignition.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I hit my knee on it yesterday and turned the engine off while driving. Such a dumb place for that key to stick out. My other keys are constantly dangling onto my knee, I have to flip them up to where they're sitting on top of the key in the ignition.

Those keys from Amazon are "out for delivery"

Im gonna cut the blade off and try programming them when i get home this evening.

Update:

It worked!

I cut off the blade, sanded it flush and programmed it with AlphaOBD. The whole job took 2 minutes.

Programming was flawless with AlphaOBD, as usual. It starts the truck no prob.

Its way smaller than the fob key.

IMG-20191210-164449365.png

IMG-20191210-164033591.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

Xena1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Why wouldn't you want to cut the blade to match the door and have that available too. What is the procedure for using the AlphaOBD? Never heard of it, but then again, I am not much into computer stuff.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Why wouldn't you want to cut the blade to match the door and have that available too. What is the procedure for using the AlphaOBD? Never heard of it, but then again, I am not much into computer stuff.[/QUOTE

I already have 4 standard key fobs programmed, with the hidden door key. I have plenty of metal door keys.

I've never used one of them in the 2 years ive owned the truck. Not a single time. I wanted this to be as small as possible.

As for AlphaOBD, there are detailed walk throughs in the DIY forum, AlphaOBD thread. Theres a list of things you can do, and links, in the first few posts. There sre also links to video instructions in there somewhere.

Here:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

OP
OP
X

Xena1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Called a smaller dealership in a rural area and they quoted me $35 to program/cut two keys. Far cry from the $120 quoted from the Tallahassee stealership. Wonder how they get away with this highway robbery.