Now what happened??!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imwaahoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Mi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey there,
Anyone available to enlighten me on how to proceed with this issue?
Just got off the highway from a 300 mi trip. Everything was fine. Next morning I get in the truck (2016 Ram 1500 Limited Crew cab 5.7L) and try to do a three point turn to get out of the driveway and discover the wheels will make a complete turn to the right and will align straight but will only turn to the left about an 8th of a steering wheel rotation to the left. I haven't had a chance to look at anything yet but was hoping someone had some incite on this issue from experience and would have a concrete answer as to what's going on with it.
Thanks ahead of time for your inputs!
Dan

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Electronic steering wheel issue. What, hmmm, I am not a mechanic, so there I have no input, unless somehow U have something jammed up in the steering preventing it from turning??? Something wrong/out with the rack, IMHO...

OP
OP
imwaahoo

imwaahoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Mi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Electronic steering wheel issue. What, hmmm, I am not a mechanic, so there I have no input, unless somehow U have something jammed up in the steering preventing it from turning??? Something wrong/out with the rack, IMHO...
I think you may be correct sir. Hopefully a wire connection or something not as costly as a new Elect. R&P. Just not getting why it goes right fully but not left at all.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pop hood ,locate thre steering shaft there is a u-joint on it ,spay the heck out of it with penetrating oil . This is a common occurrence, I give it a 75% chance maybe higher , if it doesn’t work it’s probably the rack n pinion. Let us know how it turns out.

OP
OP
imwaahoo

imwaahoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Mi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pop hood ,locate thre steering shaft there is a u-joint on it ,spay the heck out of it with penetrating oil . This is a common occurrence, I give it a 75% chance maybe higher , if it doesn’t work it’s probably the rack n pinion. Let us know how it turns out.

OP
OP
imwaahoo

imwaahoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Mi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So is it the u joint where the steering wheel shaft connects to the rack and pinion?
1627426251220.png

OP
OP
imwaahoo

imwaahoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Mi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay, sorry for the delay. Picked up a can of PB blaster today after work.
Poped the hood checked out the u joint. Sure as sh.. it was coroded a bunch. I sprayed it down hit it with a hammer and now waiting for the wife to bring the key fob home so I can check it. I'll follow up tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Poped the hood checked out the u joint. Sure as sh.. it was coroded a bunch. I sprayed it down hit it with a hammer and now waiting for the wife to bring the key fob home so I can check it. I'll follow up tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
Gonna make me go out and pop the hood and look just to see what U R talking about, LOL... I got a MY 19, bought in Aug 2018, it best be good to go, lol.

OP
OP
imwaahoo

imwaahoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Mi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I tried it last night. No luck. Still can't go left. (guess I'll never get on the Nascar circuit) Saturated it again and I'll try in a couple of hrs. Not looking good.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Easy solution, just map out all your trips with right turns. Sure it will take longer to get where your going, but you will see more of your neighbor that you've never seen before

OP
OP
imwaahoo

imwaahoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Mi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh man, a $60, 000.00 truck I can only go right and straight in. But yeah I've been thinking my way around. Lol. Well retested it and it's a no go. So now got to get a low milage used one and replace it. So one other question. What's the difference between off road and 4x4? That's how they're listed them on car-part.com.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Easy solution, just map out all your trips with right turns. Sure it will take longer to get where your going, but you will see more of your neighbor that you've never seen before

You could get a job with UPS.

Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
imwaahoo

imwaahoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Mi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update...Update! So I locate a donor vehicle with a rack and pinion that has under 1800 miles on it! For a grand I have removed and shipped out to me. It arrives and looks just about new. This morning I get in the truck and I could move the wheel partially to the left past center??? What the hell. So I push it a little harder. Pretty hard to turn at this point but moving. So I think go for it. Force it and see what happens. I did and it felt as if ...I don't know like the connection broke or I striped the shaft where it connects to the rack and pinion. Then I turn it back right then left the left is a little stiff but work it again and I'll be damed it's working. Wheels turn left and right freely. Fixed! So now I have a grand invested into a part I don't need. Anyone want a good deal on a like new rack and pinion? I don't have enough posts for qualifying permission to list in the classifieds so let me know.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Update...Update! So I locate a donor vehicle with a rack and pinion that has under 1800 miles on it! For a grand I have removed and shipped out to me. It arrives and looks just about new. This morning I get in the truck and I could move the wheel partially to the left past center??? What the hell. So I push it a little harder. Pretty hard to turn at this point but moving. So I think go for it. Force it and see what happens. I did and it felt as if ...I don't know like the connection broke or I striped the shaft where it connects to the rack and pinion. Then I turn it back right then left the left is a little stiff but work it again and I'll be damed it's working. Wheels turn left and right freely. Fixed! So now I have a grand invested into a part I don't need. Anyone want a good deal on a like new rack and pinion? I don't have enough posts for qualifying permission to list in the classifieds so let me know.
Somehow I doubt the fix will be permanent. It sounds like there's either debris lodged inside somewhere or a problem with the pump. I'd hang onto that replacement rack.

-K

OP
OP
imwaahoo

imwaahoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Mi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I totally agree. What I don't know is if there's a solenoid in the system that fails or is the pump internal to the rack and pinion and how could debre find its way into it?

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

And the result is?