OBD2 scanners any advice on what to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hesabiggin111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Ok I have two 2007 Dodge ram 1500s ones the 4.7 other ones a 5.7 both 2wd. I want to get a pro/diy'er all system OBD2 bidirectional scanner that has as many bells and whistles (being able to program keys would be way cool) and be able to cover as many makes and models as possible but mainly American and your more popular Asian and European makes and models. Preferably has blue tooth and wifi with free life time upgrades. Here's the kicker I'm hoping to find something around $300 and no more than $550. I found a few different brands in my price range with most of even 1 or 2 with all the functions I'm wanting but I don't know much about the brands. Any advice on a brand and model that's going to be a quality tool for a beginner would be much appreciated. Thanks guys

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
A lot of us with 2006-present trucks use an OBDLink MX+ scantool with AlfaOBD on our computer or phones. Its able to do just about everything the dealer is able to do with their Wi-Tech scanners. Heck in many cases I’m able to do more than the dealership can. I believe it can program new keys (with a 4-digit pin which can be gotten from a dealership), but I’m not sure if anyone with a 2006-2008 has tried that yet. It also works with other FCA makes (Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, etc)

For both its about $140-$150 and definitely worth it

OP
OP
H

Hesabiggin111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Thank you I'm definitely checking it out do you know if there's any extra fees