Occasional "blinking" CEL under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey, all, feels like it's been forever since I last posted here. Just got ******* with a lot of stuff, which ultimately culminated in me quitting my job (12-hour work days get VERY tiring after a few years).

Blah, blah, blah. Anyway, I've got this nagging little issue that started popping up earlier this year. Not every time, but about half the time, when I've got the engine under load between 2,500 and 2,800 RPM (almost always when I'm going uphill), the CEL starts blinking, indicating what I'm lead to believe a severe misfire.

I don't feel a loss of power during this. Quite the opposite, actually. Sounds strange, but the engine seems to run particularly strong whenever this happens.

Letting off the throttle turns it off, but it also appears that increasing throttle turns it off as long as I hit around 3,000 RPM. It's the darndest thing.

Replaced crank sensor with O'Reilly's (yeah, yeah, I know) unit a couple years ago, NGK plugs are two years old as are my DUI cap, rotor and wires.

Any idea what's going on and/or where to look? I had relocated my IAT into the intake tube and around this time is when the problem seemed to start. I've since put the sensor back into the intake manifold and reset the computer, but the problem still pops up.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Detonation, maybe a sensor reads or is hearing a mild knock?

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The check engine light will only flash if it thinks there is a misfire, it does that to hopefully get your attention so you don't melt down a catalytic converter. The ECM uses the crank sensor to monitor for misfires by monitoring the engine rpm fluctuations, if your aftermarket sensor is a bit crappy it could cause this even though the engine is not misfiring. If you cant feel any misfires, I would replace that sensor with a OEM Mopar sensor and inspect the connector for corrosion while you are down there. That should solve your problem

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, I definitely don't FEEL any misfiring. I've honestly been suspecting the crank sensor, if nothing else because LOLO'Reilly'sreplacementelectronics. Not the first time I've had problems with their BWD sensors...