odd question about the odometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have what some might consider an odd question about the odometer in the newer series Ram trucks. Where is that information kept? Is it in the instrument cluster, or is it kept somewhere else, like in the BCM and just displayed on the screen? Maybe if I explain why I am looking for this information, it might make more sense.

During my truck search, I had it all planned out to order a truck how I wanted it, with the options I wanted, etc. I ended up getting a truck that had a lot of the options I wanted, and during that time, was told that FCA was no longer accepting new vehicle orders. Due to a situation that came up after that point, with the timing, I sort of had to get the truck when I did, so waiting until I found one with everything I wanted wasn't really an option. Most of the time it would have one side of the pile or the other, but never everything. I am working on, as time and finances allow, getting the items I wanted from the beginning, and getting them put on the truck.

Anyway, the truck came with the standard gauge cluster that I am sure most of them have. The speedo and tach, and the fuel, and temp, along with the center display area that has the options you can view, like the digital speedo, trip A/B, fuel economy, etc. The instrument cluster that I wanted has two more dial gauges on it, located at approximately 10 and 2 in relation to the center digital display area. I believe it is volt meter, and oil temp. I already have been able to find out that the information for these two additonal gauges is being sent to the current cluster, as they show up in the "vehicle info" section.

I am looking at changing out the existing instrument cluster for the one that has those additional gauges that I want, but would like to know if the odometer reading (and potentially other information related to that specific vehicle) are kept in the gauge cluster, like the old mechanical odometers had the display wheels which kept track of the mileage accrued, or is it, hopefully, kept elsewhere, and swapping out the display would have that information specific to that truck be shown on the new one?

For those inevitable questions, 2021 Ram 1500 (Classic) Warlock, Quad Cab, 40/20/40 Bench front, short bed, 5.7 Gas Hemi, 4x4.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Milage is stored in the gauge cluster for display on the cluster. It is also stored in the PCM/ECM as a backup. If you get a new cluster it will need to be programmed to match the current milage. Dealers will check both on a warranty claim to make sure both numbers agree.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have what some might consider an odd question about the odometer in the newer series Ram trucks. Where is that information kept? Is it in the instrument cluster, or is it kept somewhere else, like in the BCM and just displayed on the screen? Maybe if I explain why I am looking for this information, it might make more sense.

During my truck search, I had it all planned out to order a truck how I wanted it, with the options I wanted, etc. I ended up getting a truck that had a lot of the options I wanted, and during that time, was told that FCA was no longer accepting new vehicle orders. Due to a situation that came up after that point, with the timing, I sort of had to get the truck when I did, so waiting until I found one with everything I wanted wasn't really an option. Most of the time it would have one side of the pile or the other, but never everything. I am working on, as time and finances allow, getting the items I wanted from the beginning, and getting them put on the truck.

Anyway, the truck came with the standard gauge cluster that I am sure most of them have. The speedo and tach, and the fuel, and temp, along with the center display area that has the options you can view, like the digital speedo, trip A/B, fuel economy, etc. The instrument cluster that I wanted has two more dial gauges on it, located at approximately 10 and 2 in relation to the center digital display area. I believe it is volt meter, and oil temp. I already have been able to find out that the information for these two additonal gauges is being sent to the current cluster, as they show up in the "vehicle info" section.

I am looking at changing out the existing instrument cluster for the one that has those additional gauges that I want, but would like to know if the odometer reading (and potentially other information related to that specific vehicle) are kept in the gauge cluster, like the old mechanical odometers had the display wheels which kept track of the mileage accrued, or is it, hopefully, kept elsewhere, and swapping out the display would have that information specific to that truck be shown on the new one?

For those inevitable questions, 2021 Ram 1500 (Classic) Warlock, Quad Cab, 40/20/40 Bench front, short bed, 5.7 Gas Hemi, 4x4.
If you have the Classic version its still a 4th gen so I would assume that the info of which you speak is still stored in the in the BCM or PCM and probably both so you would need to have your new cluster programmed to match the mileage of your truck and that it wouldn't just do it on its own after you had it installed. This question has been asked before here on Ramforum so I'm sure there are several old threads on it. There are several "Ram cluster programming service" guys on eBay(as an example) that could probably answer any of your questions, or sell you what you need.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have the Classic version its still a 4th gen so I would assume that the info of which you speak is still stored in the in the BCM or PCM and probably both so you would need to have your new cluster programmed to match the mileage of your truck and that it wouldn't just do it on its own after you had it installed. This question has been asked before here on Ramforum so I'm sure there are several old threads on it. There are several "Ram cluster programming service" guys on eBay(as an example) that could probably answer any of your questions, or sell you what you need.

Yeah probably loads of threads in the 4th gen section from many people doing stuff like that over the years. Probably not so much here in the 5th gen section yet.

OP
OP
W

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea, thought because of the year, my truck would be 5th Gen, Have found out since posting, it is still considered 4th gen. Sorry for wrong section, but thanks a lot for the feedback.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You have purchased a classic, your salesman should have schooled you on what products they sell ,but probably doesn’t have a clue.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea, thought because of the year, my truck would be 5th Gen, Have found out since posting, it is still considered 4th gen. Sorry for wrong section, but thanks a lot for the feedback.

No biggie, plenty of people make the mistake. And it's better to find out now before maybe ordering parts and having ones for the 5th gen show up. Best of luck with your projects!

You have purchased a classic, your salesman should have schooled you on what products they sell ,but probably doesn’t have a clue.

Sadly that's very true, seems to be very few and far between any sales person with knowledge about these trucks. Although people shouldn't take their word for it anyway and should do their own research. In this particular case though a little heads up about the generational difference would have been nice.

OP
OP
W

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want to know what Dodge (or Ram) did with the missing 5 CI on my 5.7. :/ I don't even have a 350, just a lowly little 345 (with kick **** acceleration tho :head3:).

@JoeCo On your ordered list, looks like you have a bunch of the options I wanted to get on my Warlock. Still working on making it more MINE.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to know what Dodge (or Ram) did with the missing 5 CI on my 5.7. :/ I don't even have a 350, just a lowly little 345 (with kick **** acceleration tho :head3:).

@JoeCo On your ordered list, looks like you have a bunch of the options I wanted to get on my Warlock. Still working on making it more MINE.

Lol coming from the GM world I thought the same thing when I got my first ram, I'm used to a 5.7 being 350 cubic inches too.

And thanks, I finally ordered one exactly how I wanted so it's been somewhat easy to leave this one stock (for now). Might do a few light mods to it at some point after our busy season but nothing too serious (hellwig sway bar, 5" exhaust tips). Making it uniquely yours is half the fun though!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I finally ordered one exactly how I wanted so it's been somewhat easy to leave this one stock (for now).
I'm the same way, only I didn't have to order it to find the one I wanted. Although in the end it took longer to find it than if I had just ordered when I first started looking. :D

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm the same way, only I didn't have to order it to find the one I wanted. Although in the end it took longer to find it than if I had just ordered when I first started looking. :D

Lol, damned if ya do and damned if ya don't! :D

In the end I'm glad I ordered, but most of the trucks I had considered buying off the lot had a lot of things missing that I wanted so it made my choice for me at that point (especially after finding the right dealer!). Wish I could find a dealer closer to me that ordered trucks the way I like them (and would deal on price more).

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Some owners buy the Express, because it has the better looking Design than the Tradesman.
But they come with basic instrument cluster & they want to upgrade to the Premium Cluster

Because the Odometer will have less miles on it, the Mileage must be Certified by a dealership or a Speedometer Shop.
Federal Law prohibits any alteration of the Odometer without Certification

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I am looking at changing out the existing instrument cluster for the one that has those additional gauges that I want
This is one of the simplest mods I've done. The 4th gen DIY has a few threads.

Basically you need a spedo from 2015+ gas RAM, then you program the mileage and hours. I'd get as close in year to your own as you can for age/warranty/recall reasons. Programming can be done yourself with AlphaODB and a bypass module, or by a service (mail in or local).

Different trim levels have different looks, so you'll probably find you prefer one over another. The front of the gauge (the mask) is what changes the look. I like to buy scratched clusters for cheap, then buy a new mask from the dealer in the trim level/desired style. For example in my 2015ssv I installed a 2017 limited cluster with a Rebel mask.