OEM brake controller advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd like to thank everyone for chiming in !

This is exactly what Forums are all about! You also get to meet some really cool people along the way!

"RAMble On!"
Sir, U want to drive a Rambler? lmao.

ggg.JPG

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Factory Mopar brake controller kits available on EBay for $139.00. Bought one and installed it myself. Took it to Dealer to have it flashed, charged me $100.00. Working great with my travel trailer.

OP can also try a you-pull-it. Most of those places keep a running inventory of their vehicles on their web sites.

RMS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic
Engine
V6
Mine is a 2020 Classic Tradesman, it is missing many of the standard harness 'included' cables. Even it included the OEM brake harness wires and connectors. From what I can see, all models include the connectors for the OEM brake controller. Buy the parts, install the components as per all the YouTube videos, and flash the required computer with AlfaOBD and a good OBD interface.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
bought mine off ebay...$135...last year. it's a perfect OEM fit, even the dash controller buttons that fit under the 12" screen. The electronic box wired right up to the factory harness and the instructions were very clear to install. After you install it, have your dealer program it in and it shows on the dash just like it was factory. My 2020 Limited also senses the length of the trailer i'm using and adjusts the side vehicle warnings on the mirrors accordingly.

Also the dash tells you the percentage of trailer braking. Check out the ones on ebay...the prices vary, but you'll be happy with one the is close to OEM, rather than one that mounts under the dash.

dealer charged me $50 to program the controller

Last edited:

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I added the oem controller myself. Easy job. No place to mount the after market that wasn't in the way. Works great. If it doesn't work for you it's probably the trailer.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just a rheostat would be worse than surge trailer brakes.
One of my older friends told me that "they don't build vehicles the way the used to, and thank goodness they don't". In the good old days one was lucky to hit 100K miles with a vehicle and it usually required a tune up every year. Nowadays it's commonplace for tune ups to be 100K miles apart.
Rheostat may be the incorrect term. I'm referring to the brake controllers from 20 years ago where all you had to do was adjust the gain dial between 1 and 10 until you got the proper amount of braking dialed in, then you didn't need to touch it again. They were simple to use, foolproof, and inexpensive.

HarryMancini

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I did this in 2014 on my 1500:
> Asked a RAM service writer to confirm that the
under-dash harness was in place to accept the
OEM trailer brake controller (it was)
The trailer connections are clearly visible at the
rear of the truck
> Got an estimate and left
> Bought an OEM controller from one of the MOPAR
vendors online. Surprising variation in price for the
same PN. Was a bit worried about counterfeit.
Instructions were clear
> installed it a morning. Nowadays, there are YouTube
videos that show how to pull the underdash cover
and the center panel that holds radio/display and
HVAC controls. The control interface fits in an
unused (blanked) space in the panel
> At the time, I had no OBD and no AlfaOBD, so I
had to pay the dealer to enable the thing. The cost
made me angry. The TBC shows up in the
small display in front of the driver, not the radio -
a good thing because the durn radio died this year,
and RAM does not support it

My neighbor uses an aftermarket trailer brake
controller on his 2500. He hauls a large RV and
a 19 foot boat, sometimes as a double. Whatever
works.

Best of luck

Jimmitch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 Ram 1500. I ordered a OEM brake controller from Allmoparparts.com for $255.00 dollars in 2020. there is a good video on YouTube for the install. I had to bring it to the dealer to get it flashed which was around $100.00 bucks., if I recall there is three bolts that mount it under the dash . I was able to get two of them installed and had to use a zip tie on the one I could not access.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
It's easy to install the OEM controller. Dealer shouldn't charge more than $50-60 to add the code for it. Takes like 15 minutes. Call around if they're trying to gouge you on that.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To save money on the installation, the OP could install everything then just bring it to the dealership for programming(may charge 1 hour for labor).
Maybe someone will chime in if it's possible to enable the OEM brake controller with AlfaOBD on the Gen5 trucks.
I looked into this. My dealer was willing to sell me the kit for around $200, which included instructions, and then I would return to have it programmed into the PCM (another $100).

On the pretense of a sale, my trailer dealer let me use a brake controller which attached to the hitch and was controlled by an app on my phone. I don't remember the product name, but was not pleased with it and returned it. It either over braked or under braked.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 98538 miles.

JoshsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Bought off eBay from Steve White Motors for pretty cheap (I forget the price but it was around $190, I think). Installed myself and had the dealer program for $100. Totally simple install.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
On the pretense of a sale, my trailer dealer let me use a brake controller which attached to the hitch and was controlled by an app on my phone. I don't remember the product name, but was not pleased with it and returned it. It either over braked or under braked.
The bad part about the app controlled brake controllers is if you need to manually apply the brakes in an emergency situation.
The OEM controllers have the advantage due to their incorporation with the vehicle data.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The bad part about the app controlled brake controllers is if you need to manually apply the brakes in an emergency situation.
The OEM controllers have the advantage due to their incorporation with the vehicle data.
Yes, I agree. None of the aftermarket controllers I looked at blended very well to the interior, either. After looking at several aftermarket versions and talking to people, I'm convinced the OEM version is the best way to go.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 98539 miles.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I agree. None of the aftermarket controllers I looked at blended very well to the interior, either. After looking at several aftermarket versions and talking to people, I'm convinced the OEM version is the best way to go.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 98539 miles.
HECK yeah. When I bought MY 19, I had dealer install TT Controls and flash as part of the vehicle purchase and agreed all on dealers dime, not in the sale price of the vehicle,. Told him, trading in a 2015 ED with TT, need on my 19, and not buying w/o a lil give and take. Always work when U head for the door. NOW, with the UAW strike and all that, PPL that want a new vehicle better hurry up, LOL.

Unless U wanted to go and buy a Toyota? lol.

Bob1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Local dealer did not have OEM controller so I bought one on line from another dealer in Arizona. Under $300. Installation was easy. Couple of hours tops. ****** is that the dealer wants $170 just to flash the computer!

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sir, U want to drive a Rambler? lmao.

View attachment 528487
The replies to this thread stopped notifying me in my email mailbox, as a result I haven't been checking the replies, so I'm a little behind now.

It's funny you mention driving a Rambler. I've owned them before. Mine was a slightly different model than what you've shown.

Attachments

• 20211021_093220.jpg
    20211021_093220.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20170704_111301.jpg
    20170704_111301.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20170704_111347.jpg
    20170704_111347.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 3

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The replies to this thread stopped notifying me in my email mailbox, as a result I haven't been checking the replies, so I'm a little behind now.

It's funny you mention driving a Rambler. I've owned them before. Mine was a slightly different model than what you've shown.
One of my friends when growing up had a '66 like I pictured.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After careful consideration, I wound up purchasing an OEM brake controller. I purchased it from someone on this forum who was very fair, shipped quickly and has offered me great communication including technical advice. I'm very happy with him !

I made the purchase Sunday, received it Wednesday and installed it yesterday. Installation was fairly straight forward. I did take a little longer (about 3 hours) for the installation. It's not easy taking your new truck apart, so I was extra careful during disassembly especially removing the wiring connections. The controller and control wiring connections were taped to the factory wiring harnesses in the areas.

I did wind up with a couple wiring connections that I couldn't find locations for when reconnecting?

One was under the steering column trim plate, had blue marking tape on it, and seemed to fall down from the area below the push button ignition switch (I did not remove it that I remember). The other was behind the center control bezel with the other wiring. I took pictures as I was disassembling and didn't see it anywhere in the pictures.

Any ideas what these go to ?

Thanks for all the help peeps !

Rich

Attachments

• 20230922_101247.jpg
    20230922_101247.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230923_082336.jpg
    20230923_082336.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230922_121447.jpg
    20230922_121447.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230922_190950.jpg
    20230922_190950.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 6

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After careful consideration, I wound up purchasing an OEM brake controller. I purchased it from someone on this forum who was very fair, shipped quickly and has offered me great communication including technical advice. I'm very happy with him !

I made the purchase Sunday, received it Wednesday and installed it yesterday. Installation was fairly straight forward. I did take a little longer (about 3 hours) for the installation. It's not easy taking your new truck apart, so I was extra careful during disassembly especially removing the wiring connections. The controller and control wiring connections were taped to the factory wiring harnesses in the areas.

I did wind up with a couple wiring connections that I couldn't find locations for when reconnecting?

One was under the steering column trim plate, had blue marking tape on it, and seemed to fall down from the area below the push button ignition switch (I did not remove it that I remember). The other was behind the center control bezel with the other wiring. I took pictures as I was disassembling and didn't see it anywhere in the pictures.

Any ideas what these go to ?

Thanks for all the help peeps !

Rich
Wish I could help, dunno, dealer did mine. Somebody who did this and has more knowledge needs to chime in. Most of the harnesses contain extra wiring for other options not installed, that I can tell U, but not helps your issue.

THE VIDEO AT APPX 2:10 shows where the Blue taped wire plugs in. Red/yellow/brown/red did not see in this video, maybe I missed it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: