OEM TT brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 2021 Ram 1500 Classic Warlock 5.7..It has a tow haul button and a - + slider showing a trailer. Not ever having used this and cannot seem to locate any info in the manual..(must be there somewhere)...just wondering..
1.When you plug in your trailer getting ready to go, do you hit the tow haul button and then do a slow test of that slide the - + brake controller until you are happy at the stopping drag at various speeds?
2.Once you are happy with the braking of the trailer when you apply the truck brakes, does the truck remember that setting?...or do you have to manually apply the - + slider with one hand while you steer with the other as you are braking.../naw that does not make sense/

Please confirm the truck remembers...or advise what you know on this and what I have to do when a braking situation comes up...thanks guys...

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes, the truck remembers what gain you last had the brake controller set at.

No, that's not how you adjust the brake gain. You have to adjust it based on response when you press the brake pedal. I have found it best to find either a REALLY big parking lot, or an empty rural blacktop road, and repeatedly stop from about 25mph (the speed you most notice trailer brakes) and adjust.

I have found that starting with the gain around 5.0 is usually close, though I've had some trailers as low as 4.5 and some as high as 6.5.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Also, tow/haul mode isn't related to trailer brake functionality. The brakes will work weather toe/haul is on or not.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
From pages 153-155 of the owners manual:
Screenshot_20230822-002205.png

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
From pages 153-155 of the owners manual:
View attachment 526889

Crash, you and I are normally on the same page...But I disagree with the owner's manual on this. Testing in that manner, if you've got the gain too high, will flat spot your tires, and your trailer will never ride smooth again (I have done this...it's not fun) unless you get new tires. New tires every time you get a new trailer gets expensive.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Crash, you and I are normally on the same page...But I disagree with the owner's manual on this. Testing in that manner, if you've got the gain too high, will flat spot your tires, and your trailer will never ride smooth again (I have done this...it's not fun) unless you get new tires. New tires every time you get a new trailer gets expensive.
Agree. I start at the lowest setting and work up until I’m comfortable with the trailer’s braking response.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yep, basically I expect the trailer to stop itself under most/all conditions; if I slow down quicker with the trailer attached than without, the gain is way too high. If it feels like the trailer is pushing the truck while stopping, then I adjust the gain up a bit, until I can barely tell the difference stopping with a trailer vs without.

@Dave Haddon, the "+" and "-" buttons are used only to set the gain. You never touch them unless you want to make the trailer brakes more or less sensitive. Once you're happy with the gain setting, the truck will apply the trailer brakes automatically with that gain level every time you brake in the truck.

The other "slider button" on that control is to manually apply trailer brakes only, in an emergency. Lets say you're driving down the freeway and you see and feel the trailer start to violently swing from side to side, you can use that slider to apply trailer brakes only, to slow the trailer down and get it inline behind the truck. If you use the main truck brakes, then you can actually make that trailer swinging worse. If you end up in that situation, it is usually because your trailer is not balanced correctly, or it's way to heavy/long for the truck you're using, or your towing without a WDH etc. Normally you just use the +/- to set it for your trailer, then just brake normally in your truck without touching the controls on your brake controller.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I usually start the process at 10 - 15 MPH and the gain set in the middle. Usually only takes a couple test stops to get it where I want it, then I up the speed to about 20 MPH and check again. It's not usually necessary to make any changes.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Testing in that manner, if you've got the gain too high, will flat spot your tires, and your trailer will never ride smooth again (I have done this...it's not fun) unless you get new tires.
Your dragging the trailer with the wheels locked up too far then...lol
I roll windows done and just pulse the brake lever to full. It's usually just the car hauler when empty that will lock the brakes up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357