OEM engine block heater cord

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fivesense

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I searched the archives but didn't see an answer in there.

I want to pick up an engine block heater cord for my '18 2500 CTD. Is it necessary (advisable) to get the OEM cord or is there a suitable aftermarket cord that will work? My dealer wants $75 for the OEM part but I paid quite a bit less than that for my '15 ED engine block cord.

Thanks.

warwagon98xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I looked for mine but didn’t see it, thinking maybe going in thru the wheel well to install it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fivesense

Fivesense

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I'm embarrassed to ask, but is the actual engine block heater standard? I bought my 2018 used with incredibly low miles and just ass-umed.

Page 145 of my manual suggests that the heater is installed; it's just the cord that may or may not be standard.

Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm embarrassed to ask, but is the actual engine block heater standard? I bought my 2018 used with incredibly low miles and just ass-umed.

Page 145 of my manual suggests that the heater is installed; it's just the cord that may or may not be standard.

Can anyone confirm?

Yes, they all have the heater just some do not have the cord. (Think it's part of the cold weather package?)

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm embarrassed to ask, but is the actual engine block heater standard?
On the CTD the block heater is a round plug near the top of the oil filter.

FYI, the block heater on a CTD is 700 watt vs the 400 watt on the EcoD. Something to keep in mind if you use a smart switch or timer to turn the block heater on.

OP
OP
Fivesense

Fivesense

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
On the CTD the block heater is a round plug near the top of the oil filter.

FYI, the block heater on a CTD is 700 watt vs the 400 watt on the EcoD. Something to keep in mind if you use a smart switch or timer to turn the block heater on.
Thank you- great info. I traded in the '15 ED so no worries about the switch!

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
This is my first diesel, and I live in Texas, so I don't hear much about the block heaters. What temperature is it recommended to plug one in?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is my first diesel, and I live in Texas, so I don't hear much about the block heaters. What temperature is it recommended to plug one in?

I don't know if there is a recommended temp but I would say if you have sustained days/weeks of sub freezing temps and your truck sits outside you could use it. I lived in Colorado for 10 years and never used mine. Parked in the garage at night but it was outside all day every day and I never had a issue starting the truck. It might help it warm up a little faster though.
You'll never ever need it in Texas

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
My truck stays in a conditioned garage at night, so it's even less of an issue at home. I am really just curious. Did some searching online, sounds like some people will plug it in even at 40 degrees, just so the heater is warm already.

OP
OP
Fivesense

Fivesense

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I think you are supposed go out to your truck on a cold morning and tell it that diesel pick ups in Oklahoma start up right away in frigid temps. That should get your Texas rig properly motivated. :D

My general rule of thumb is if it goes below 30º F. That said, it was about 19º F this morning and my truck started immediately. Even still, I think it's good for the engine to give it a nice warm start on cold days.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
i usually plug in my 18 2500 when its 20 or below that. it produces heat very quickly. plugged in, exhaust brake on idling for 5 minutes - the heat is warm already. my 01 2500 would take 8 miles to produce any meaningful heat. yesterday my timer messed up, and it was minus 4. the truck started but was exceptionally grumpy and made odd noises for 30 seconds. ( currently october in colorado is coldest on record ) cheers comrades!

mopareg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Is there a block heater setup for the 6.4 Hemi?

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I added an extension cord to my 1500 and ran it out the tow hook passenger side-tired of opening the hood to plug in

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Geno's Garage has a nice option of being able to mount the cord to the bumper. Plus it has built in cover to keep the male ends of the plug free of snow & ice build up. In the winter I use the block heater every night to help keep the engine warmer for the start up in the morning. It also helps reduce the wait time the cabin heater to be able to kick out heat. I've also found I don't frost on my windshield while the neighbor's cars do. Another benefit to have the cord mounted solidly on the bumper is when you do park for the night and the weather is really cold and nasty with snow storm, it makes plugging the power cord to the heater cord much easier and faster.

The CTD will start in the cold without the the block heater being plugged in - it just helps when the temps drop well below freezing.

Below is pic of the block heater cord mounted to my front bumper.

20181111_164934.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fivesense

Fivesense

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Geno's Garage has a nice option of being able to mount the cord to the bumper. Plus it has built in cover to keep the male ends of the plug free of snow & ice build up. In the winter I use the block heater every night to help keep the engine warmer for the start up in the morning. It also helps reduce the wait time the cabin heater to be able to kick out heat. I've also found I don't frost on my windshield while the neighbor's cars do. Another benefit to have the cord mounted solidly on the bumper is when you do park for the night and the weather is really cold and nasty with snow storm, it makes plugging the power cord to the heater cord much easier and faster.

The CTD will start in the cold without the the block heater being plugged in - it just helps when the temps drop well below freezing.

Below is pic of the block heater cord mounted to my front bumper.

View attachment 185387
Great set up and likely very convenient. I've always just had the cord tucked away.

Am I correct that you just have a mount installed, rather than having drilled a hole?

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Great set up and likely very convenient. I've always just had the cord tucked away.

Am I correct that you just have a mount installed, rather than having drilled a hole?
That is correct. The set up has two (2) plates that when the screws are tightened, they squeeze together onto the bumper. One of the most convenient upgrades I made to my rig. And one of the least expensive as well. :)

AnonStu

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I just added the cord yesterday afternoon to my 2018 CTD and I’m seeing coolant temp of 125-127 F whether the ambient temperature is 36 or 56. So, the heating circuit must have a thermostat somewhere to cycle the heating element on and off. That was a pretty easy upgrade. I took apart the duct pieces from the air filter down to the turbo and it made it super easy to install. It took me less than an hour.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just added the cord yesterday afternoon to my 2018 CTD and I’m seeing coolant temp of 125-127 F whether the ambient temperature is 36 or 56. So, the heating circuit must have a thermostat somewhere to cycle the heating element on and off.
Nope. It’s just a straight up 750w heating element. If it’s plugged in, it’s on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990