OEM Projector vs OEM Quad Headlight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not all classes always race simultaneously, but the reason it indicates headlight color is forced by class, and not driver option, is to help the drivers distinguish similar profile looking vehicles in their rearview.

They aren't forcing headlight colors by class division to give slower cars and advantage with better lighting or anything. White is better, yellow is merely different.

Otherwise, like you say they would just let the driver's decide based on their personal preference or mandate a single color.

I promise you aside from the example. It has been proven that yellow is better at cutting through moisture than white. White reflects much more than yellow because white is far more intense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I promise you aside from the example. It has been proven that yellow is better at cutting through moisture than white. White reflects much more than yellow because white is far more intense.

You guys and your yellow fever...

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys and your yellow fever...

I’m mean considering I run pure white LED headlights and yellow fogs I can tell you straight from experience. Also a simple google search will give you all the info you need on why yellow is better in moisture.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m mean considering I run pure white LED headlights and yellow fogs I can tell you straight from experience. Also a simple google search will give you all the info you need on why yellow is better in moisture.
Why do you figure that, as far as I know, no manufacturer uses the superior yellow film on their fogs? If automotive engineers thought it worked much better, it should be more common right? I believe its because you can eliminate blue light without having to use a yellow filter, and the lower placement is what cuts through the fog using narrow spectrum white light.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why do you figure that, as far as I know, no manufacturer uses the superior yellow film on their fogs? If automotive engineers thought it worked much better, it should be more common right? I believe its because you can eliminate blue light without having to use a yellow filter, and the lower placement is what cuts through the fog using narrow spectrum white light.

Auto manufactures would use yellow as their vehicles all the time back in the day. You don’t see it anymore because everyone is in a war for the brightest headlights. I’m speaking from experience because I can physically see the difference from white in yellow. In dense fog situations those pure white headlights are of no help seeing forwards you just throwing light out there that’s the same color as the fog. Vs having yellow fog lights which illuminate the sides of the road ( if the vehicle has true fog lights. I can tell you right now the factory fogs on rams are not true fog lights ). You have yellow showing you the sides of the road much more clearly because it’s a contrasting color vs being the exact same and also being far less intense. In any situation yellow is far less intense and that is exactly what you need when driving in bad weather. I bet you’re the kind of person that turns their high beams on in a snow storm [emoji23]

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bet you’re the kind of person that turns their high beams on in a snow storm [emoji23]

I'm the kind of person that believes that bulb technology has changed and that the very low angle of the light is what affects refraction to your eyes.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm the kind of person that believes that bulb technology has changed and that the very low angle of the light is what affects refraction to your eyes.

Bulb technology has changed but the color spectrum has not lol [emoji23]

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bulb technology has changed but the color spectrum has not lol [emoji23]

The color spectrum HAS changed with bulb technology is my argument, and that the blue spectrum was the big culprit.

CFLs are broad spectrum, emitting light all the way into the UV for example even though the average color comes out white. LED by contrast can be very narrow spectrum, avoiding blues if you don't buy a high kelvin one, and causing less glare.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The color spectrum HAS changed with bulb technology is my argument, and that the blue spectrum was the big culprit.

CFLs are broad spectrum, emitting light all the way into the UV for example even though the average color comes out white. LED by contrast can be very narrow spectrum, avoiding blues if you don't buy a high kelvin one, and causing less glare.

[emoji2357] you can’t change the color spectrum *****

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have ran yellow headlights before, and I can say they are by far the best color for visibility in any conditions. Ran yellow headlights and white fogs just so there was white light at the front of the vehicle to keep cops off my back and never had a problem, thinking about doing it again.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
[emoji2357] you can’t change the color spectrum *****
You can control whether your light source is broad or narrow spectrum, avoiding the blues without having to resort to yellow filters. Manufacturers understand this, which is why yellow is almost never seen in modern vehicles, and often only added these days for the retro/rally/racer aesthetic.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can control whether your light source is broad or narrow spectrum, avoiding the blues without having to resort to yellow filters. Manufacturers understand this, which is why yellow is almost never seen in modern vehicles, and often only added these days for the retro/rally/racer aesthetic.

You do realize when you take out the blues it makes the light even more intense right? White is the brightest most intense type of headlight you can buy. Any way you swing it you are terribly wrong. You’re lacking in your research.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Literally took me two minutes to do a google search lmao
3b8018d0886b99b251370a26cc8f5371.jpg
8c282a6e62ece412e068a97b444f07d4.jpg
a41277c348b6788731f295b750c0418f.jpg

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You do realize when you take out the blues it makes the light even more intense right? White is the brightest most intense type of headlight you can buy. Any way you swing it you are terribly wrong. You’re lacking in your research.

You have to decide what you're even arguing for though... If you want to reduce your brightness or "intensity", then just put in lower lumen lights. We were talking about refraction which limits penetrating power of the light in fog and the like, and while red and yellow has reduced refraction angles, my argument, which it seems pretty much every OEM agrees with, is that if you keep your fog lamps way lower than your line of sight (as they certainly are on a Ram) and don't pump out a lot of light in the blue spectrum which is on the opposite side of the wave length extreme, you get brighter light that can still penetrate with little refraction off the droplets back into your eyes.

Or, what is also possible, is that all the automotive engineers at Toyota, Honda, FMC, Ford, etc. don't know what they are doing and you should write an email to their CEOs and demand they all be fired. :p

BTW: I skimmed your source and it says that many OEMs use yellow in their fogs. To attack the credibility of your source, go ahead and list the top 5 vehicles in 2019 that you can get with yellow fog lamps... I won't hold my breath.

Dale Hartley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They make a quad to projector harness but I highly doubt they make a projector to quad harness. Reason being is the quads are terrible. If you think your light are bad now you’ll really hate the quads. Anything you run will be bad in the rain. Water reflects the light off of the road. Your best option to see better in rain is 3000k bulbs on the fogs.

Dale Hartley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can go on line at Ebay and have all kinds of OEM picks for headlights . The old Quad Head lights can be removed and LED bulbs installed for better lighting .Have a 2014 Ram and replaced headlight bulbs with Cree or Cob LED's .Do not have to pay $500 for head lights aasy .

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have to decide what you're even arguing for though... If you want to reduce your brightness or "intensity", then just put in lower lumen lights. We were talking about refraction which limits penetrating power of the light in fog and the like, and while red and yellow has reduced refraction angles, my argument, which it seems pretty much every OEM agrees with, is that if you keep your fog lamps way lower than your line of sight (as they certainly are on a Ram) and don't pump out a lot of light in the blue spectrum which is on the opposite side of the wave length extreme, you get brighter light that can still penetrate with little refraction off the droplets back into your eyes.

Or, what is also possible, is that all the automotive engineers at Toyota, Honda, FMC, Ford, etc. don't know what they are doing and you should write an email to their CEOs and demand they all be fired. :p

BTW: I skimmed your source and it says that many OEMs use yellow in their fogs. To attack the credibility of your source, go ahead and list the top 5 vehicles in 2019 that you can get with yellow fog lamps... I won't hold my breath.

You’re not going to find any modern cars with yellow fogs because yellow is illegal in some countries/states. That doesn’t automatically mean white is better. Leaded fuel is best to put into your vehicles but how many cars to you see on the road running leaded fuel? Lmao You are extremely misinformed. How are you going to penetrate white fog with white light exactly? And do not even try to bring up the rams fog lights as good fog lights. The rams fogs are the farthest thing I have seen from actual foglights. They’re almost as bad as 03-06 Silverado fog lights. Rams fogs have a terrible beam pattern to be effective in fog.

I tell you what you keep on believing that you can somehow change the color spectrum and the more intense the lights the better and I’ll keep understanding that in fog it’s best to have a wide foglight beam in contrasting color to water molecules and less intensity to bounce off of them. I am baffled by your lack of research and your insistence that you really think white (the most intense temperature) is better for fog.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You’re not going to find any modern cars with yellow fogs because yellow is illegal in some countries/states. That doesn’t automatically mean white is better. Leaded fuel is best to put into your vehicles but how many cars to you see on the road running leaded fuel?
There's a good reason leaded fuel was abandoned, as were laws requiring yellow lights/fogs, and why both are hasta-la-byebye.
How are you going to penetrate white fog with white light exactly?
Like 99% of people on the road do.

The way I understand it, different wavelengths have different refraction angles.

Red has the lowest refraction angle, meaning the light can be shining closer to your eye level and is less likely to scatter back from the droplets. Blue has the least, and so would refract the most... those blueish HIDs, not great, I agree.

Manufacturers tended to believe that between 4300K-5000K is the best compromise between what your day and night vision can see (rods and all three color cones in your eyes active), and low enough wavelength to penetrate fog when mounted low on the vehicle far from the angle of your vision (which is why high beams are bad in fog as it puts light right at eye level droplets instead of just pointed down).

Yellow, like red, isn't picked up by all your rods and cones well and so will seem dimmer, thus slightly inferior, and why even the cheese eatin' surrender monkeys admitted they were wrong. :D

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a good reason leaded fuel was abandoned, as were laws requiring yellow lights/fogs, and why both are hasta-la-byebye.

Like 99% of people on the road do.

The way I understand it, different wavelengths have different refraction angles.

Red has the lowest refraction angle, meaning the light can be shining closer to your eye level and is less likely to scatter back from the droplets. Blue has the least, and so would refract the most... those blueish HIDs, not great, I agree.

Manufacturers tended to believe that between 4300K-5000K is the best compromise between what your day and night vision can see (rods and all three color cones in your eyes active), and low enough wavelength to penetrate fog when mounted low on the vehicle far from the angle of your vision (which is why high beams are bad in fog as it puts light right at eye level droplets instead of just pointed down).

Yellow, like red, isn't picked up by all your rods and cones well and so will seem dimmer, thus slightly inferior, and why even the cheese eatin' surrender monkeys admitted they were wrong. :D

Yellow was outlawed in most countries because it wasn’t bright enough to be used as a headlight which is what MOST manufacturers used in their headlights back in the day because it was the best in bad weather but terrible in clear weather. Car manufacturers would still use them as fogs. Especially Lexus (one of the best in lighting) since that’s what most of their fogs had. But since it’s not legal in all the countries they sell them in it doesn’t make sense to make two different styles.