Offroad Lights - Dual Power Input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi All!

Bit of a strange one.

Im getting ready to install some offroad lighting in my 2014 RAM 1500. Ill be using several 2" light cubes (Rough Country), rock lights, etc - and controlling them with a Voswitch UV100 control unit. If youre not familiar with the Voswitch programming, heres what you need to know for this application. Each button is assigned to an input from the power distribution module. That button can have several modes: switched on/off, momentary, accessory power on (automatically turns on when the truck turns on, but can be switched off I believe), or strobe).

Unfortunately, the Voswitch is not as advanced as a Switch Pros or Spod, so one button cannot control more than one input.

What I want to do is have 7 buttons that control individual inputs (button 1 is fog lights, button 2 is lightbar, etc). Those will all be in on/off mode. Button 8 will be set to strobe. However instead of having a light connected to this button, the input for button 8 will be a bus bar that ALL the lights are connected to. Essentially each light will have a dual input. Buttons 1-7 turn lights on constant and individually... button 8 turns them all on as strobes.

In theory this sounds good, but am I missing anything in this grand master plan? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Davood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 4x4
each light should have a power rating or maybe a maximum current. P = V*I and you have a 12 V system so divide the power by 12 to ge tthe current. to give youself a bit of margin (and make the math easier) just divide the light's power rating by 10 toget maximum current with a 20% margin.