Oil and oil filter options....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I thought Wix XP was the winner on that you tube video with Fram Ultra Syn coming in second & RP & K&N coming in close behind. I prefer the Wix but when I can't get one of those I get the Fram Ultra. I have always liked Pennzoil Oil products. Been using it for about 40 years with no issues. OP you are not going to save yourself a whole lot of money changing it yourself, but at least you will know it was done right! Most of these losers in the fast lube shops are the employees that flunked out of doing the fries at McDonalds!

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Get any synthetic 5w20 that's on sale at your local parts store. I bought 0W20 Mobil extended performance for $30 Canadian. Your signature states your in Miami so you wont need a 0 weight oil.

The only one I wasn't a fan of was Castrol. It has a lower noak (spelling is off) which means it's more likely to evaporate at higher temps. It was the only oil I had to top up and I've used amsoil, PUP, castrol, royal purple, Mobil 1.

As for filters, royal purple, amsoil, and the fram synthetic are good.

If you are going to stick with one brand you could do an oil analysis at 10k miles and see how the oil is breaking down and have an idea how the oil is holding up.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I let my Hemi do the talking. The dealer did the Mopar fast lane oil change that didn't last 3K miles. The valve train started to sing for a few seconds at startup, so I changed the oil myself. The noise went away.
After reading the forum, I decided on PUP and did half 5W-20 and half 5W-30 and the small royal purple filter. At 4500 miles the valve train started to sing for a few seconds at startup. I changed the oil myself.
This time i changed with PUP at 2 qts 5W-20, 2 qts 0W-40 and 3 qts 5W30 and Mobil 1 filter. Now I will wait for the valve train to sing and tell me its time to change the oil again.
I am only looking for an oil to comfortably last 5000 between changes. Fresh oil and additives are good for any engine.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks for your input. I am running around 5k miles between changes; and since I live around 4 miles from work, and I change it based in the mileage not in the time frame, I am changing oil twice a year. Even at that time spam, I would like to still save money while at it...
Thats my delemma as well---I have a short commute--7kms each way-after 6months I have logged 2000 kilometers or 1250 miles every 6months. It seems like such a waste of $ . Ive always used PUP full synthetic and a mobil1synthetic filter. Should i go a little longer between changes or switch to dino oil?

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the expensive cost of lifters and cam, why risk it especially when it gets colder. I'd stick with full synthetic even at 5000miles because the cost difference isn't enough especially when on sale. You don't have to pony up for redline but qsud or PUP when on sale with rebates is pretty cheap! I'll be sending my uoa after a couple more changes as my hemi is still young (under 30,000miles).

Last edited:

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
With the expensive cost of lifters and cam, why risk it especially when it gets colder. I'd stick with full synthetic even at 5000miles because the cost difference isn't enough especially when on sale. You don't have to pony up for redline but qsud or PUP when on sale with rebates is pretty cheap! I'll be sending my uoa after a couple more changes as my hemi is still young (under 30,000miles).
I was thinking the same-I can get full synthetic on sale for not much more than dino-and my mechanic will change out for $20 if i bring my own supplies-just seems that 6mths/2000kms is way sooner than any vehicles ive ever owned.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking the same-I can get full synthetic on sale for not much more than dino-and my mechanic will change out for $20 if i bring my own supplies-just seems that 6mths/2000kms is way sooner than any vehicles ive ever owned.
Tbh, if I were you I'd easily run 12months/4000km using PUP or qsud 5w30. You can grab pup or qsud when it's on sale and use the mail on rebate.

I find it hard to justify running redline 5w30 as its expensive and hard to find. Sometimes it's on sale at partsource for around 50bucks for 4quart but often its slot more.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2 qts 5W20 PUP, 2 qts 0W40 PUP and 3 qts 5W30 PUP and the oil didn't get to 2500 miles. The hemi started to sing for a few seconds on start-up a few days in a row so I decided to change the oil. I did 1 1/2 qts 5W20 PUP, 2 qts 5W30 PUP and 3 qts 5W30 Red Line. I left the M1 oil filter on because it only had 2500 miles on it and I wanted to see if it was the filter or the oil. Just the oil change and the hemi stopped singing on start-up. I don't believe that it is the oil filter as others have suggested...at least not at 2500 miles.
I have come to the concusion that these Hemis just seem to shear oil. Lets see if the Red Line bolsters the PUP. I am only looking for an oil to comfortably go 5000 miles without breaking the bank with boutique oils. Haven't found it yet.