Oil change - Not at the RAM dealership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,

So far I did my oil changes at the RAM dealership, but I am thinking of doing at some generic oil change shops that are everywhere like "Mr. Lube" etc....

Any reason why I should keep doing my oil change at the RAM dealership?

and if I don't do it at the RAM dealership, how do I reset the Oil change indicator in the EVIC?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most of those places use cheap oil and cheap filters.

If I don't want to do it myself, I take my own oil and filters in and have the dealer do it for about $15.

But any good shop should be about the same, imo, if you don't want the dealer find a small trustworthy shop instead of the quick changes.

I have seen the quick changes also put the wrong fluid into the wrong place - not all are bad, but I am not a fan.

Go to the oil monitor screen and just follow the direction on how to reset it.
I hope you aren't following the oil monitor for when your oil changes are due - esp. if you plan on keeping the truck long term.

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I found that at my local dealer oil changes are cheaper than all of the quick lube type places. Hell, it’s almost cheaper than DIY. If I had any faith in a dealership I’d take it to them, but I’d rather just do it myself so I know 100% it’s done right.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Why don't you want to use the dealer? Convenience or price? Pricewise, if you buy the packages were you get 3-4 oil changes over so long a period of time it's about as cheap as you can do it yourself. I get it if the dealer is a PITA to deal with, though.

Big Daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,

So far I did my oil changes at the RAM dealership, but I am thinking of doing at some generic oil change shops that are everywhere like "Mr. Lube" etc....

and if I don't do it at the RAM dealership, how do I reset the Oil change indicator in the EVIC?

If you have a warranty or extended warranty, its better to have it document it through the dealership. Otherwise, if someone else does the work, the reply will be to take it back to whomever did the work...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I've even had bad experiences with Dealers hiring know-nothings for quickie lubes - in effect, they're mirroring the quickie lube shop models to get business back. I don't trust any of them.

When the time comes, I will go to my local garage shop where they have experienced mechanics work on all jobs, big & small. This is what the Magliozzi's recommend from Car Talk, Click & Clack. Vehicles are too valuable to trust critical work to bozos.

https://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Hi,

You can do this - buy the oil and filter you want at Walmart. Then give it to the Walmart service dept to change it. They charged me $10.

Why can't you do it yourself?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure some people might not be at an age where doing their oil changes is as easy as we think it is but for crying out loud is an oil change folks, lol. No you don't have to have it done at the dealer, yes you can use a quick lube place or any place that says can change the oil.. geez You can take your own filter and oil and simply pay the labor at most places. as easy as it sounds. Lol

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Honestly a lot of this is just hesitation and self doubt about ourselves being able to work on our vehicles nowadays ..... all this BS about voided warranties and not having the right tools is just an excuse "MOST" of the times....

I grew up wrenching a long side my Dad, he did everything to his cars .... rarely did I see him take one of his cars/trucks to the dealerships to get worked on ....

Most of the time our warranties our going to get voided because of a "technicality" which is a lot of the times lol ....

The oil changes on these trucks is by far the most frustrating thing ever ... the location sucks ass and I understand the reason for it being where it is, to protect it from debris which is honestly complete bs because they could of installed it somewhere else behind or inside some other kind of secured design, but it is what it is lol ...

I plan on fabricating an enclosure with a small door that either slides off or is hinged to protect the relocation kit I plan on doing sometime soon .... then the oil changes will be a breeze ...

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do my oil changes as well. Simple enough. I use a painter plastic sheet I throw underneath to prevent making a mess in my driveway with the oil. I haven't used a dealer to change the the oil in at least 15 years :)

Been down there gives me the time to inspect the stupid stuff the dealer say I need to have "inspected" and it's free.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have to say though, changing those getting those bigger RP filters out of that small area is a ***** lol ... I did make a mess but I know what to expect for the next oil change with these filters or when I install the relo kit

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have all the equipment that i would ever need to service almost any vehicle.
The thing is, i have just reached an age & my arms don't work to good after having a Rotator Cuff surgery on both my shoulders.
I don't even take my Harley out of the garage anymore.

At my dealership, they have the regular service bays, where the Techs seem to know their job.

Then they have the Express Lane, where i don't think they do as good. I watch them as much as i can & i don't trust them at all

I also refuse to go the any Express or Quick lube place, i caught them pouring in Valvoline after i requested Castrol & they never greased the rear U-Joint or checked the rear differential fluid, I called them out about it & they insisted that everything was done correctly, until i asked which mechanic had 5 feet long arms that had reached the differential plug with the way they had parked that truck over the Pit

brian42

Military
Reaction score
If I wasn't doing it myself I would have the dealership do it. Depending on the oil change package price (I use full synthetic) would determine if I have them do all of it or I bring them the oil and filter.

The person doing the oil changes is probably one of the most junior people in the service area. I'm pretty sure that Quik Lube, Jiffy Lube, etc., are just as inexperienced but the dealership has a little more at stake than just churning out oil changes and trying to upsell services.

I have an extended warranty so I save all of my receipts for oil and filters to show in case I have an issue where that might come up. I also enter the maintenance into my truck's record at mopar.com.

As far as resetting the oil life, if it's anything like my 5th gen, go to the oil life screen and hold the OK button for a few seconds and it should reset to 100%.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
For me having a lot of warranty left plus a 3.6 with the plastic oil filter housing, I go to the dealer.
Three full synthetic changes = 18 qts of oil and 3 filters for $100 using the Mopar promo coupon. Yup, they hate me because when they pull it outside I do a walk around, open the hood, check all the fluids / oil filter housing and engine bay. Plus I decline everything when they ask about the air filter, cabin air filter, tire rotation, etc.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just did my own first oil change on my 2500 6.4l. I will say I stopped doing them because it was such a pain. On my set up, it was the easiest oil change I ever did. Would not see the value in a relocation kit in my set up. The oil filter was very accessible and the small pan they placed below it is perfect for keeping oil from dripping on the frame, etc. I would suggest trying to get under the truck and see how things are set for you, see if it might be something you could do. FYI, I did not use ramps, just out a old towel down and laid in that. Good luck.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Honestly a lot of this is just hesitation and self doubt about ourselves being able to work on our vehicles nowadays ..... all this BS about voided warranties and not having the right tools is just an excuse "MOST" of the times....

I grew up wrenching a long side my Dad, he did everything to his cars .... rarely did I see him take one of his cars/trucks to the dealerships to get worked on ....

Most of the time our warranties our going to get voided because of a "technicality" which is a lot of the times lol ....

The oil changes on these trucks is by far the most frustrating thing ever ... the location sucks ass and I understand the reason for it being where it is, to protect it from debris which is honestly complete bs because they could of installed it somewhere else behind or inside some other kind of secured design, but it is what it is lol ...

I plan on fabricating an enclosure with a small door that either slides off or is hinged to protect the relocation kit I plan on doing sometime soon .... then the oil changes will be a breeze ...

If you are moving it because of the dripping oil when you change the filter I'd suggest another solution.

Make the drain hole smaller. The problem with the current drain hole is that it is a too large rectangle.

Make the hole smaller and maybe add something like a funnel to the bottom. Then you can take off the filter and have the oil flow into a bottle.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you have the oil change done somewhere, VERY IMPORTANT, please check the oil before you leave.

I know of more than one person that had too much or not enough put in.

One had a older Nissan frontier with a 4 cylinder that had almost 1-1/2 qts extra in their engine. That was done at a Nissan dealership, too. Scary.