Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlitzBound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have had my '13 RAM Hemi QC since late Feb... I'm now at around 3500 miles. Wondering when the oil should be changed... The EVIC says oil life is still good for another 3500 miles... Does this mean I should be changing oil every 7k? I had always changed at 3k in my '07 Ram.
As usual, thanks for replies!

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I believe the manual says every 8,000 miles. I think? I know I read 8,000 miles somewhere. I used to do every 5,000 on my old vehicle. I know there are guys here on the forum who swap out the factory oil as soon as they get the truck. I personally would watch the EVIC and also make sure you're physically checking the oil to make sure the EVIC is accurate, and then change it when it gets low. 7K sounds reasonable to me.

20ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These days the engine tells the computer when the oil needs to be changed (according to dealer). When I had conventional oil I changed mine every 4000 miles regardless what the manual/dealer said. To answer your question, it will probably come on at about 6500/7000 miles. That's when mine did when I forgot to reset the light.

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
Just a word of caution, I bought a GMC Acadia in 07 the first year, not the first year for 90% of the components. My oil computer was saying change a what would have been 10,000mi. I did it at 3,000 anyways. And stayed on, no more than 4,000mi scheule with simi-syn oil. 2.5 years and 36200mi later I hear a tick in the engine. within 10 minutes its a bad tick. Drove fine had power, just a loud tick. get to the dealer they say leave it will call you, they call after they pull the engine to find a broken piston skirt down in the crank. GM gave me a new engine, but first tried to say I never change the oil. I had good records. Next they told me it was due to using non-GM parts (aftermarket oil filters) This was straight from GM not the dealer. Few months later GM sent a recall letter to update the computer on the Acadia's do to low oil consumption. It now tells me at 3000 on the dot to change the oil. My dealer also said some aftermarket oil filters where not as good as others and they had filter pieces stuck in oil lines. They would not say which one but did say they did not find any pieces in my engine. And said name brand filters were not the problem.

My point is use caution, do what you think is right, if the computer is giving too long of an oil change time, change it sooner.

The Crow 1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed Trans.
Just a word of caution, I bought a GMC Acadia in 07 the first year, not the first year for 90% of the components. My oil computer was saying change a what would have been 10,000mi. I did it at 3,000 anyways. And stayed on, no more than 4,000mi scheule with simi-syn oil. 2.5 years and 36200mi later I hear a tick in the engine. within 10 minutes its a bad tick. Drove fine had power, just a loud tick. get to the dealer they say leave it will call you, they call after they pull the engine to find a broken piston skirt down in the crank. GM gave me a new engine, but first tried to say I never change the oil. I had good records. Next they told me it was due to using non-GM parts (aftermarket oil filters) This was straight from GM not the dealer. Few months later GM sent a recall letter to update the computer on the Acadia's do to low oil consumption. It now tells me at 3000 on the dot to change the oil. My dealer also said some aftermarket oil filters where not as good as others and they had filter pieces stuck in oil lines. They would not say which one but did say they did not find any pieces in my engine. And said name brand filters were not the problem.

My point is use caution, do what you think is right, if the computer is giving too long of an oil change time, change it sooner.

I agree with this. My wife drives a 2010 Chevy Equinox and GM just reprogrammed the oil life monitor in her vehicle. It was also consuming oil and the oil life monitor ratio was WAY off. Definitely use with caution.

Peattie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do mine every 8,000 like the dealership says and take it to the dealership for the oil changes. Some times the computers tell you to change the oil before its due. My dads raptor is supposed to be every 7,500 but it you check the computer itll still show that the oil has 40% "oil life" left. So I guess just do what feels right to you.

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I change it every 5k, I'm running a synthetic oil and a k&n filter so I let it go a tad longer because I know I'm good!