Oil filter relocation thread?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fiddlebick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm trying to find the older thread about the trans adapt oil filter relocation kit. For some reason searching on my phone on this forum refuses to pull up any results. I've had problems with the install, and I'd rather stay with the original thread instead of starting a new one. Can someone post the link?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What problems are you having? May be able to just give you a quick answer. I can’t find the thread but mobile sucks for searching

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya, ask your question. That thread is loaded with posts.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

Fiddlebick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I've already answered my question to the problem but here it is. Finished up my filter relocation yesterday afternoon. I started it up and all was pouring out. Shut it off cleaned it up, took my lines off at the filter adapter and tightened it a little more since I didn't put it on much more than hand tight. Started up and oil is still pouring out, all lines are tight. Tried to see what the flashlight where is coming from, but there was too much and I couldn't leave it running for long. Spent a considerable amount of time cussing the Hemi design with the oil filter in such a horrible location then I I put my old filter back on top it off with oil and call it a day . After thinking about it overnight I decided that it must be the oil filter adapter o-ring because there was just too much oil for it to be a leaking line . Today I rigged up a quick test using an airline some valves and a gage . No problem with the lines I dead headed them at 70 PSI on the bench and there was no air leak. I believe my O-ring on the adapter squeezed out at some point allowing the quite sizable leak. I'm going to give it another shot soon although I may put it on a lift this time at my buddy's garage. At age 61 I can't handle much more of that crawling in and out underneath the truck. My darn shoulders are killing me today

OP
OP
F

Fiddlebick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd like to hear if anybody else had this problem. I'm an industrial mechanic and I should have paid attention to that o-ring. I know that often times they will be slightly bigger in circumference then the groove they fit in. At times I've had to even them out till it lays in the groove uniformly. Since I have it off the truck right now I can see that it does fit ever so loosely, so next time I'll put a little bit of grease on it to hold it and try to be careful not to dislodge it in any way. I also want to add that I used cheap fittings from Amazon at about 8 bucks a piece and relatively cheap stainless braided hose from eBay

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't trust those crappy nitrile o-rings.
They aren't designed for our engine temps.
I went with Viton. seriously the price of less than a dollar each is well worth it.

In there other post, I posted a butt load of part numbers, but here are the o-ring part #s
568-912V -12 Boss Viton O-ring
568-230V 2 1/2" Viton O-ring

I also spent an evening sanding and polishing the surfaces of both the adapter and mount.
I also took time grinding all the flashing and ports.

I did notice some advice abotu thread depth. I had no issues on my 2014.
Grease those o rings and tighten. i don't think I could overtighten. I aint got a clue how anyone got a torque wrench in there.