PacBrake remote filter install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hey all, thought I would throw up some pictures from my PacBrake filter relocation I did a couple days ago. In a 2018 Ram 1500, 5.7L Rebel.

Mount location, front right of the truck.
IMG_0245.jpeg

Filter base mounted. Tip here, use an open ended wrench with a piece of electrical tape spanned across the opening to hold the nut while you snake it in to the mounting "box". I thought this was going to be the trickiest part, nope, easy peazy.
IMG_0246.jpeg

Whoops, I screwed up, can't get the 90's on, not enough clearance, pull it off, and reinstall!
IMG_0248.jpeg

Let's get the oil filter adapter put on. Learned from above and put the side 90 on first this time! 1 1/4" wrench is your friend here, need it for the center adapter stud.
IMG_0249.jpeg

Getting the lines plumbed. Again, made a mistake here. The lines appear to be the same but one is about 3/4" shorter. Was having a bugger of a time trying to get the center hose on. Happened to look at the install diagram and saw 2 different size lines in the picture. Sure enough, swapped the lines, right on! Short hose goes center to center.
IMG_0251.jpeg

IMG_0252.jpeg

Ahhh, I can finally use the larger size filter! RP 20-820.
IMG_0253.jpeg

My normal fill was 6.5q PUP and 16oz Lubegard. New fill is 7q PUP and 16oz Lubegard, so an overall increase of 1/2q. Ran her for a bit, check for leaks, perfect!

Overall the job took just over an hour, that's with my 2 mistakes. Quality of the parts, all I can say is WOW!!! All billet, hose quality os out of this world, even all the fittings are aircraft fittings so alignment was a piece of cake!

Can't wait for the next nice clean and easy oil change!!!

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you for the write up, and the pictures. Very good tips, and suggestions.

roguerob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great write up and pics. I ordered mine the other day. I absolutely hated doing oil changes on my 22 limited. I also ordered a valvomax oil drain kit for the plug too. I had that on my 19 limited and it helped keep the mess to a minimum.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
That install looks like it "came from the factory".

Can that mounting plate attached to the trucks frame be installed to sit lower and not as high as in the pics? My truck isn't an 4×4, so imo, a few inches lower won't cause anything from happening and would be easier to drain and take off the oil filter.

I want to install the Pacbrake oil filter relocation kit, but can't get off my dead tail and order one, however when I do, I'm going to purchase separately hose fittings(45°)so that there isn't as much a sharp "bend" in the hoses. That'll help to reduce from "restricting" the oil flow for having an more gradual flow. jm2¢

Thanks for sharing, nice set-up.

OP
OP
chopperman1

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That install looks like it "came from the factory".

Can that mounting plate attached to the trucks frame be installed to sit lower and not as high as in the pics? My truck isn't an 4×4, so imo, a few inches lower won't cause anything from happening and would be easier to drain and take off the oil filter.

I want to install the Pacbrake oil filter relocation kit, but can't get off my dead tail and order one, however when I do, I'm going to purchase separately hose fittings(45°)so that there isn't as much a sharp "bend" in the hoses. That'll help to reduce from "restricting" the oil flow for having an more gradual flow. jm2¢

Thanks for sharing, nice set-up.
Sure, anything can be done with drilling new holes. I wouldn't recommend going any lower tho, the higher the better, less likely of road debris, think 18 wheeler tire skin or such. Concern I would have with the 45's is the clearance around where the fittings go, not much room in there for the hose radius's.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed my pacbreak oil filter relocation kit on my 2021 Ram 1500 bighorn.Used my buddy’s lift. It took less than 1 hr. Install was a pice of cake.
Got any pics?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Does Pac Brake sell a seperate filter nipple that would allow the use of the older 3/4-16 thread pitch filters,there's alot more selection of bigger filters in the older thread pitch filters.
I run the older 30-8A filters on my Transdapt set-up,and only 1 90 / 1 45 the other 2 are straight fittings

Attachments

• DSCN4954.JPG
    DSCN4954.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 40

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Does Pac Brake sell a seperate filter nipple that would allow the use of the older 3/4-16 thread pitch filters,there's alot more selection of bigger filters in the older thread pitch filters.
I run the older 30-8A filters on my Transdapt set-up,and only 1 90 / 1 45 the other 2 are straight fittings
Yes from what I've seen they offer different filter block thread sizes. I'd contact them directly or look on their website.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes from what I've seen they offer different filter block thread sizes. I'd contact them directly or look on their website.
The i"-16 nipple would let you run the big diesal filters,but i'm not sure if the filters sealing surface would work on the hemi's kit. If money was no object you could probably buy the hemi kit to get the proper filter mount,and the diesal kit so you could use the diesal filters,a mix and match set-up. I didn't see anything that used the 3/4-16 filter nipple,but then again,i didn't really go digging through their site

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
The i"-16 nipple would let you run the big diesal filters,but i'm not sure if the filters sealing surface would work on the hemi's kit. If money was no object you could probably buy the hemi kit to get the proper filter mount,and the diesal kit so you could use the diesal filters,a mix and match set-up. I didn't see anything that used the 3/4-16 filter nipple,but then again,i didn't really go digging through their site
Yeah that's why I suggested to contact them directly. They may be willing to make a kit for you, to include what main kit components you want but swapping out the included head for the filter head that you want.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah that's why I suggested to contact them directly. They may be willing to make a kit for you, to include what main kit components you want but swapping out the included head for the filter head that you want.
They do have their phone number listed,and that might be the best way to get ahold of them.I'm old school and still think the phone works the best in alot of instances,lol

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Scroll back threads to see coppermam 1 thread . He shows several pictures where we installed it. Let me know if you did or did not find the thread . My pictures did not show you very good. P S you can only put it where pacbreaks instructions manual shows you.

Attachments

• A85A8614-28C5-4E87-87EE-B6AB64F176DA.jpeg
    A85A8614-28C5-4E87-87EE-B6AB64F176DA.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Terry1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great write up and pics. I ordered mine the other day. I absolutely hated doing oil changes on my 22 limited. I also ordered a valvomax oil drain kit for the plug too. I had that on my 19 limited and it helped keep the mess to a minimum.
Love the valvomax, but out of three one has started leaking past the ball. Cap with gasket keeps it from dripping. Kinda disappointed, have not been on very long and only 3 or 4 oil changes.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just out of curiosity, does the Pacbrake kit have any effect on oil temp?

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used the Fumoto oil drain valve in my truck and the wife's Wrangler for years with no issues.
Same here. Just installed one in my Ram and that's around the 8th vehicle I've used them in. No issues but I always went with fumoto. I know there's another brand that is similar.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat