PacBrake remote filter install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I installed the kit today. Took me about 3 hours. Working from the ground. No hoist, no assistance.

Now I'm having a beer. :)

As mentioned previously, leave the oil filter mount off of the mounting bracket while mounting the bracket. The instructions instruct you to bolt the oil filter mount to the bracket first and then bolt the entire assembly to the frame.

It's just too heavy to do so IMHO. The assembly falling on my face one time was enough to convince me to go another route. :)

I was able to place the washers on both bracket attachment bolts with my fingers. I was able to place the nut on the lower retaining bolt with my fingers. The nut for the top bolt needed the old "tape the nut to the wrench" trick. If the nuts and washers fall off the bolt while attempting to bolt them together (and they probably will), they are conveniently captured by the frame and can be removed with your fingers from there.

But be sure to place the 3 oil filter mount bolts in the bracket before bolting the bracket to the frame. You probably won't be able to place them in the bracket after bolting it to the frame of the truck.

Tightening the oil filter mount bolts (3-5/16th's bolts) a 1/2" gear wrench will be worth its' weight in gold. There's simply no room for a socket wrench in there.

I attached the hose to the outside oil line fitting on the oil filter adapter plate on the engine before attaching it to the engine block. It was much easier to attach and tighten that way. It's not possible to attach the center line before attaching the adapter to the engine. The center line fitting is what attaches the fitting to the block and many revolutions are needed to tighten it.

And as has been mentioned previously, the flexible oil line fittings are a sonofagun to start. The oil lines are stiff. It did seem though that it got easier to get them to mate by the time I got to the 4th fitting.

I used a plain ol' pair of slip joint pliers to tighten up the lock nuts on the oil line fittings.

I cut a notch in a rib of the shroud as it was making contact with one of the hoses. I was able to move the hoses around enough by slightly rotating the oil filter adapter to avoid contact elsewhere.

No leaks detected thus far. :)

Last edited:

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've noticed about a 6 PSI average drop in oil pressure since the install.

Has anyone else noticed a pressure drop?

I slapped a Fram UG10060 on it that I had on hand. I'll put an XG2 on it in the couple of weeks when I do an oil change.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I noticed a very small leak on the center line originating up at the oil filter adapter plate.

I got a 7/8th open end wrench on the lock nut and was able to tighten it up a fair amount. My good ol' slip joint pliers were not the proper choice during the install. A stubby 7/8" wrench would've been easier to get to the lock nuts but the standard length worked.

I am hoping I have the source of the leak corrected now.

Fritter

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had a similar 6 psi oil pressure drop when I installed the PacBrake relocation kit. I tried swapping the oil filter (used 2 Fram XG2's) with the same result. The 6 psi drop is at >1200 rpm. Idle oil pressure was within 1 psi. I'm going to a RP 20-820 on next oil change - I'll post if there is a difference.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My kit came with both hoses same length when one should have been shorter

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
Nicely done! Filter relocations are one of the best mods! Especially on vehicles in which it's a PITA to get to filter. My '89 Diplomat Police package had a factory engine oil cooler so I relocated filter up front near the cooler. Attached to rad support next to cooler. Best mod ever!

Attachments

• 1989Filter.jpg
    1989Filter.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 1989FilterTwo.jpg
    1989FilterTwo.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 14

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It appears that the crimp on the fitting on one of the supplied lines has a slight leak. Not much I can do about that except contact Pacbrake and explain the situation.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've noticed about a 6 PSI average drop in oil pressure since the install.

Has anyone else noticed a pressure drop?

I slapped a Fram UG10060 on it that I had on hand. I'll put an XG2 on it in the couple of weeks when I do an oil change.

I have not noticed a single PSI drop on mine. No leaks, I'm using a Fram as well as 5w-30 oil.

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have not noticed a single PSI drop on mine. No leaks, I'm using a Fram as well as 5w-30 oil.
Same here. I installed a few remote filters on various performance vehicles and not once have I seen a pressure drop. Only thing that changes is you might need a touch more oil for changes.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question if anyone knows -if you install this relocate filter system, does it void your warranty from the Mother Ship on the engine?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Question if anyone knows -if you install this relocate filter system, does it void your warranty from the Mother Ship on the engine?
Good chance it will void your engine warrenty. If you do have an issue though,it's easy to return the truck to stock by removing the filter relocation kit,it's not hard to put it back to the way it left the factory

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Voiding a warranty would require the installed item to be the cause of the failure.
Scenario 1: You install the kit. A month later the transmission goes. It would be covered.
Scenario 2: You install the kit but forgot to tighten a hose fitting and it leaked out all the oil and now the engine is locked up, siezed from no lubrication. Warranty VOID due to improper install.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents automakers from automatically voiding a vehicle's warranty if you use aftermarket car parts and services.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 5th gen Ram 1500, where is the location to mount the bracket for the Pacbrake relocated filter? Is it that stubby vertical bracket on the front passenger side just forward of the tire??

Last edited:

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good chance it will void your engine warrenty. If you do have an issue though,it's easy to return the truck to stock by removing the filter relocation kit,it's not hard to put it back to the way it left the factory
what would be the case say you broke down on the road and it was towed to the dealer, you could not take it off then you're screwed big time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat