Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
So instead of arguing the point,when you can clearly see Heminmanns running the filter,why don't you go buy one and compare it yourself. CJ is one of the better guys on here,and you probably shouldn't snub your little nose at him,so get off your *** and go buy the damn filter.Just my 02 bud
Thanks..........you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink......LoL

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
just tried the link you provided,it says does not fit i even tried different years and same response
But it does fit, according to the thread attachment and the gasket sizing. Summit also says the 20-820 does not fit, and in fact, it's gasket sizing is less fitting than the 20-500.

What you need to understand is these retailers only match the EXACT replacement size - they don't offer options as we do on this site.

Dannyn_01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Tore apart my SRT filter. This is after 12K+ Miles, and a little over a year. Not sure whether this is paper or the MicroGlass. All I can say it is extremely stiff. Do what you want with this info :)

Attachments

• AE7F9047-E66A-4DDD-AC04-96496F1C3C3F.jpeg
    AE7F9047-E66A-4DDD-AC04-96496F1C3C3F.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 5BC2E3E3-0423-442F-8171-FFDBC9CCE6C2.jpeg
    5BC2E3E3-0423-442F-8171-FFDBC9CCE6C2.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 17
  • CE7179FE-F96C-4C0F-9BDC-C55A2126F12D.jpeg
    CE7179FE-F96C-4C0F-9BDC-C55A2126F12D.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 16

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
But it does fit, according to the thread attachment and the gasket sizing. Summit also says the 20-820 does not fit, and in fact, it's gasket sizing is less fitting than the 20-500.

What you need to understand is these retailers only match the EXACT replacement size - they don't offer options as we do on this site.
Thanks for responding back to me with no childish ignorant rants. I addressed my question to you and got nothing but rude comments from someone that only wanted to be ignorant to others.These sites are supposed to be for us to share what we know about our trucks to make it worth owning them,Thanks again,Bob

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I
So member adrianp89 brought this test to the Syn thread, but this test is good enough to have it's own thread and many guys have tuned out of the Syn thread. This test proves the benefit from spun micro glass filters, all of the top three performers where spun microglass, and others such as Wix XP weren't tested. Anyhow, spun micro glass not only filters better out of the gate, but lasts much longer and holds contamination better. The top three filters tested in order are Royal Purple, Amsoil EA and Fram Ultra in third and the most economical choice. The test shows a different name for the third place filter, but it was changed to Ultra that year 2011. Below is the test filter after it passed through the tested filter (the name of the filters on the left), this is a compilation of the filters and as you can tell no noticeable contamination 30microns pass through the royal purple filter. Very little passed through the Amsoil or Fram Ultra. Read through the test page to see all of the results. Bottom line, Cellulose filters simply do not filter as good as synthetic media at any point in your oil change interval.

comparison.jpg
Interesting, I would like to see how a Purolator Boss would compare to these now

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes we know they only tried 4 synthetic filters, and one of those m1 was a blend. But, since the three 100% synthetic filters finished 1,2,3 and the blend finished 4 ahead of all papers, I feel pretty comfortable thinking all synthetic media filters are going to outperform paper from cradle to grave of that filter, and I would wager are pretty close to each other as well. To complicate things even further, if they tested the puro sun filter it would mean zero since they redesigned it, and even out RP filters have gone through several iterations of the tested filter, and needless to say fram would likely no longer be a top choice, especially considering it was the number 1 pick of the tester.

It is literally impossible to stay current in this environment. You just have to make your decisions based on experiences plus a little thought to the construction. The main value is how much better synthetic media is from paper even fresh, which at the time was brand new information. Paper continues to degrade and synthetic fibers seam to get better with time. The good news here is we don't spin or sugar coat it based on feelings, we go off facts and experience that includes all of the tools we can find even cutting open dirty filters and sharing the info. This test was only fresh filters, our tests hint at end of interval performance. The two paper filters I remember cutting open where stiff as a board, every synthetic fiber I cut open as fresh as the day it was born.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Tore apart my SRT filter. This is after 12K+ Miles, and a little over a year. Not sure whether this is paper or the MicroGlass. All I can say it is extremely stiff. Do what you want with this info :)
if there is wire mesh behind media, it is microglass. If there is no wire mesh, it is paper. They use binders for paper filters, those binders stiffen with heat cycles in oil. This is great info, thanks, so much we don't know about srt filters, seams like half of them are microglass, and 1/2 of them are paper, dunno? Reason number 537, just use royal purple filters.

Dannyn_01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
if there is wire mesh behind media, it is microglass. If there is no wire mesh, it is paper. They use binders for paper filters, those binders stiffen with heat cycles in oil. This is great info, thanks, so much we don't know about srt filters, seams like half of them are microglass, and 1/2 of them are paper, dunno? Reason number 537, just use royal purple filters.
Correct, no mesh behind the media. Installed the 20-820 now.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The info people never get if they don't continue to read these oil related threads is crazy? In one week we see evidence two of the most popular filters are not constructed i the way that made them popular. Fram Ultra and SRT filters are not as we know them to be lest week. IMO filters are more important then oil in one key area, it matters in your filter choice from one to another. There are no api standards and resource saving goals that make their formulas similar like we see with automotive fluids. Unless we continue to cut them open, no real way to tell if they changed unless we get lucky and catch a youtube. Spun Microglass doesnt degrade, the more and more I see, I am glad I'm sitting on a lifetime supply of the RP filters. 200 bucks well invested imo.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The info people never get if they don't continue to read these oil related threads is crazy? In one week we see evidence two of the most popular filters are not constructed i the way that made them popular. Fram Ultra and SRT filters are not as we know them to be lest week. IMO filters are more important then oil in one key area, it matters in your filter choice from one to another. There are no api standards and resource saving goals that make their formulas similar like we see with automotive fluids. Unless we continue to cut them open, no real way to tell if they changed unless we get lucky and catch a youtube. Spun Microglass doesnt degrade, the more and more I see, I am glad I'm sitting on a lifetime supply of the RP filters. 200 bucks well invested imo.
As you said, synthetic media also has more consistent pores and is less restrictive to oil flow compared to same surface area of paper media. To me this is more important than media life as we are changing oil at shorter intervals again due to Hemi sensitivity to oil contamination. Free flow oil is critical to poorly lubricated Hemi valve trains. Period.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If those patches say anything, it says that synthetic media traps more contamination. So you get better flow and better contamination trapping capability. And we don't know what paper is at a 3k interval, we know that maybe it hasn't stiffened yet depending on age, but we don't know what the current filter rate is. I'd say we have a pretty good idea what synthetic fibers ability is in the same 3k miles. The only downside is cost, and that doesnt make a lot of sense to me. Just having spun microglass cannot raise the production cost that much, but literally is that important. So the market place never handed us a reasonably priced synthetic option and to make it worse is changing full synthetic filters to blends . So let me ask this, why are blends in the middle of paper and synthetic in cost? Attaching paper to a synthetic media saves you that much in production costs over 100% synthetic? I think not.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
If those patches say anything, it says that synthetic media traps more contamination. So you get better flow and better contamination trapping capability. And we don't know what paper is at a 3k interval, we know that maybe it hasn't stiffened yet depending on age, but we don't know what the current filter rate is. I'd say we have a pretty good idea what synthetic fibers ability is in the same 3k miles. The only downside is cost, and that doesnt make a lot of sense to me. Just having spun microglass cannot raise the production cost that much, but literally is that important. So the market place never handed us a reasonably priced synthetic option and to make it worse is changing full synthetic filters to blends . So let me ask this, why are blends in the middle of paper and synthetic in cost? Attaching paper to a synthetic media saves you that much in production costs over 100% synthetic? I think not.
No wire backing = cost reduction, while still weasel marketing the word "synthetic" onto the label.

Same as semi synthetic oil. Consumer market is awful. Glad I worked in commercial products my entire career. There's enough charlatans there.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well there is a time when paper filters flow better, when they stiffen and go into bypass, but what is the point of having a filter at that point? The best filters ever made for flow are with those w/o media.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I'm sitting on 4 fram ultras now that I bought a couple of months ago.I will be cutting the next one open for sure.That will be in about 1 month from now.Hope the ones I bought have the wire backing.I would have never known this and continued to use them if not for you guys.Thank You very much!

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
For those like me that have recently bought a new zero turn with Vanguard (Briggs) engine & would like to upgrade oil filter.

Thread size 3/4-16
All diameters the same close to 3"
Royal Purple #10-2835 (3.4 length)
Royal Purple #20-400 (4.75 length)
Mobile1 #M1-102A (3.62 length)
Mobile1 #M1-209 (4.75 length)

Quoted lines below are from 2008 but still fairly accurate as far as length maybe not for drain back & micron size.
The WIX website gives micron ratings.
In a nutshell, larger filters have the same micron ratings as the tiny filters, UP TO A POINT!
When you start going to the 1+ qt. size filters, (designed for trucks) the micron rating tends to go up to around 30ish from 20ish.
ALSO, the tiny (2.3" long) Kohler/Briggs filter tends to have a larger micron rating.
These filters will fit your Briggs/Kohler- They tend to be around 20 micron.
For an "oversize filter, the 4.8" long one is a good match.
The only caveat for using a larger filter is if it has a poor quality Anti Drain Back Valve. Look for an ORANGE one. That's silicon rubber instead of nitrile rubber. It stays "pliable" much longer and over wider temperature ranges. That's why I won't use FRAM. Yhe oil tends to drain back out of the filter.

"Briggs/Kohler type" 3/4" X 16 threads 8-11 PSI Bypass Gasket 2.734"OD X2 .430"ID 0.226" thick
Length" Wix Purolator Hastings Kohler B&S Baldwin MotorCraft AC Walmart JD
2.3" 57035 NA LF503 2805001 492932 B7165 NA NA? NA ?
2.7" 51056 L35310 LF302 1205001 492056 B1410 NA PF2210 NA AM125424
3.4" 51348 L10241 LF157 5205002 491056 BT223 FL793 PF53 ST3614 AM101207
4.8" 51516 L20195 LF134 NA NA B243 FL400A PFL400A ST3600

Last edited: