Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was in Canadian Tire this weekend and had a look to see if they had any old XG2's still sitting on the shelf. No luck. They were all the new ones.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Another option for you is redline 5w30, which is thicker then most 0w40's at the end of an interval, and gives you better cold performance, better then 0w40. Now, redline 0w40 is thicker then most 0w40's, and in fact most 5w40's. Because redlines are so viscosity stable, that 5w30 will be thicker then srt 0w40 throughout most of the time in the sump.
Thanks Burla, I will give it a go on the next oil change. I will say the red line definitely makes it sound much better. I’m a big a fan of Amsoil products but after reading through a lot of posts on red line and particularly yours I wanted to give it a go. Thanks for all the insight and info you post.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just a quick FYI. The Fram Ultra XG2’s in the new boxes that I’ve bought still have the metal screen. If you shine a light down the center tube, you can see it through the holes in the center tube. Not sure if they’ve changed yet or if they are going to but the ones I’ve bought are still the old style. If and when they change, I’ll be an RP customer.

well it looks like Royal Purple is no longer showing filters in their line up of products.

Last edited:

Jeff-M-B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I'm up to 62k miles so far and have used RP 10-48 filter and RP 5w-20 for the last 40k or so. I'm not hauling... yet. I'm living in upstate NY so definitely seeing temp extremes and in my 35+ years of driving I always thought that changing oil and filters at the 5k mark was one of the main keys to engine longevity. Spending a bit more for the filter and oil seems trivial to what you could spend with the cost of an engine failure... I change the oil myself, costs about $60, tops. I do maybe 3 changes a year... $180. Will be driving the truck for 15 yrs (because I love this one) so oil changes $2,700 over the course. What is the cost of engine replacement or cam, piston or lifter work? Plus the hassle of having it in the shop. I'll just spend the few extra bucks...

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
NJ4x4 said some of the painted filters are painted on the inside, well lets think about that for a minute, wouldn't that means the paint wont come off since that paint sits in oil for your oci, and in fact oil that is more acidic then transmission oil.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
NJ4x4 said some of the painted filters are painted on the inside, well lets think about that for a minute, wouldn't that means the paint wont come off since that paint sits in oil for your oci, and in fact oil that is more acidic then transmission oil.

I know OEM's don't like painted surfaces exposed to engine oil. That was a big no-no @ Onan & Cummins. There were some specialized applications I don't specifically recall from 30 years ago that occasionally delved into it for various reasons, sometimes using oil-resistant epoxy paint. I think that was in the Marine Engine Division.

Anyway, basic chemistry says like molecules dissolve like molecules; polar-polar, nonpolar-nonpolar. Engine oil is nonpolar molecules, and so is paint. Not a good combo in general. Notably, water is polar molecule, which is why it does not dissolve into oil - it separates.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm unclear what the marketing-speak means.

"Synthetic Blend" media in the past had meant a blend of synthetic and cellulose media, or layers of them.

This Fram guy (Matt) is saying the new XG Ultra media is 2 different synthetic layers instead of formerly one layer of synthetic media, and it doesn't need a screen.

Then he says it filters better than the original below 20 micron particle size.

Do you guys see anything different in his statements?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Members -

I sent an email to Fram inquiring about their re-designed XG Ultra Oil Filter. Below is the response. Thoughts?

View attachment 476990
Great score, do you believe it? I would try it in the wife's car, which is a canister so easy to test, no need to cut open a filter. I will commit to testing it next year, i just changed her oil so wont be needed til next year, probably will have verification next summer. I tell you, I'm not impressed with how they go about changes and informing people, and I need to go back and look at what they actually say on ultra now.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Great score, do you believe it? I would try it in the wife's car, which is a canister so easy to test, no need to cut open a filter. I will commit to testing it next year, i just changed her oil so wont be needed til next year, probably will have verification next summer. I tell you, I'm not impressed with how they go about changes and informing people, and I need to go back and look at what they actually say on ultra now.
Not these days. Sorry, but the level of corruption and dishonesty these days requires validation of most things.

I will be keeping an eye on this. I may write back requesting validation. Recall Fram was bought by Trico conglomerate. Set up to fail just as the originator GE is acknowledging Jack Welch failure and divesting itself. Sucks.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This is what they say below, now we all know what synthetic blend means. So I really do not like they did this, everyone else who says synthetic blend means with cellulose. I'm going to believe what they say even though I don't like it and verify, because I have appreciated fram for having a synthetic media filter. Now, here is the real question, even if it is what they say, would that make it better then the top choices we have? Screen or no screen, which is good? Do they add binders to make that fiber hold? Just treat the second layer as they do with cellulose and add binders? We need some ram members to step up, I will do it but it will be a while before we know.

Designed for use with synthetic oils.

Dual layered synthetic blend media provides 99%+ filtration efficiency.*

Durable metal tube offers outstanding pressure resistance and flow spacing.

It is just a new thing, we never heard of synthetic w/o mesh. Hopefully it is an upgrade, let;s sleuth this puppy.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
There was a BITOG Member Motorking that worked at Fram. I learned about XG Ultra from him 6 years ago. Maybe he's still there? Any Fram people here?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm still banned, so I cant help you there :)