Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Stuff you find out by accident, haha?

2nd interval on fram ultra, 18k easy miles, the wife 100 miles a day on freeway, no go stiff as a rock, no vacuum issue or contamination, must have been in bypass for a lot of miles. Oil was in good shape amber still smelled good, that had 10k miles pup.

Here is the deal, I had rp canister next to fram ultra canister in my wifes trunk, I never thought about dry heat cycles, lol? The rp is the oldest filter, I bought ten years ago, still like new. However, I am on the end of a 6 pack deal I bought fram ultra and not used but also in wifes trunk the filter was stiff as a board, lol? Age and temp in rav 4 trunk stiffened fram ultra. Zero doubt rp has better media, just yet another of a long list of examples of this. Also, store your microglass filters indoors. I have 20 rp 20-820 so glad they are inside. lol. A hot garage or a hot truck can mess them up, not RP apparently, but other filters. with canister filters it allows you to see things you otherwise would not think about/.

You cut open?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Or element. Got it now, anyway - thanks.

One of your vehicles uses an element-only replacement? By the way, many synthetic filters have changed media from wound glass to polypropylene. I believe PP is still a thermoplastic polymer (not completely cross-linked). You know what that means. But it's CHEAP!!!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mr Burla, any thoughts on the Napa platinum ?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
yeah, wife's vehicles takes those...

I've never seen a vehicle with replaceable oil filter element, except for son's Navistar diesel. Mind sharing what it is?

Also, maybe Fram improved the new Ultra oil filter media? The efficiency and capacity test charts you shared showed it better than Royal Purple, remember? It has finer filtration and more capacity. Didn't see any data on flow restriction.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 3.6 Pentastar's have a filter element. The oil filter housing it right on top of the engine too which is super easy to change the filter unlike my truck.

Just did my Ram's oil on Saturday and I am starting to consider a filter relocation kit.

To add the the fun the Fram XG2 filter I had would not thread on to save my life after 15 minutes of trying. I pulled another off the shelf and it went right on no problem.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never seen a vehicle with replaceable oil filter element, except for son's Navistar diesel. Mind sharing what it is?

Also, maybe Fram improved the new Ultra oil filter media? The efficiency and capacity test charts you shared showed it better than Royal Purple, remember? It has finer filtration and more capacity. Didn't see any data on flow restriction.

My Mrs' Lexus RX350 has a replaceable element oil filter. The engine is a 2GR-FE 3.5L V6. The 2GR is used in a lot of Toyota and hence Lexus vehicles, like Camry, Avalon, Aurion etc. I think Lotus use it too.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Aha - fancy makes this po' boy would never own!

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Toyota sedans aren't all that fancy! Similar engine to a 1GR 4.0L V6 found in Tacoma and similar, although they use a normal filter. I have a supercharged 1GR-FE in my 2011 Toyota Hilux 4x4, which is a close cousin to a Tacoma just built RHD in Japan and Thailand rather than on the North American continent.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
The 3.6 Pentastar's have a filter element. The oil filter housing it right on top of the engine too which is super easy to change the filter unlike my truck.

That'll probably be my next engine, whether my next rig is a Ram, or a Gladiator.

But, MAN I love that Hemi !

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Does amsoil ea/royal purple have another cousin filter? I do believe so, vp racing filters carry the same product numbers as the RP filters and seam identical... This is the hemi 5.7 filter, note the product number.

VP Racing VP820 20,000 Mile Premium Full Synthetic Oil Filter​

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Funny, some of the paper out there claims it is a blended filter, which I happen to not believe :) I could be wrong, but I believe they are exact clones, but just a wild guess.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Funny, some of the paper out there claims it is a blended filter, which I happen to not believe :) I could be wrong, but I believe they are exact clones, but just a wild guess.

Looks to be microglass!

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know that this oil filter issue is top of mind for some people.
Not me.
50 years of driving and a lot of those driving full time in company trucks that never even saw oil changes.
Never ever seen an engine fail or show any signs of problems on those trucks.
I change my oil and filter every 6000 miles using bulk oil and generic filters on my 5.7 hemi.
Some things in life I don't sweat over.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So the massive issues with the smaller filters tossing engine codes and having filter manu's officially say dont use our filters on hemi's because of low psi isnt a clue that maybe you should investigate further? If you are cool with that, far be it for me to point that out :)

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
ram went to a small filter without a thought to what that would do to your truck. Page 92 of this thread, since it is on 2018, you may have a little interest? or not, keep on keeping on.