Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
wow wow wow wow wow! Where'd you get ahold of this data, @Burla ?

Is this 'new & improved' Fram Ultra Synthetic XG? It shows best combo of efficiency AND dirt holding capacity. Better than RP!
so am I understanding this right that the Fram US XG10575 is the part number to go for?

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
If the biggest of all doesn't fit. That is Fram Ultra XG2. It won't fit in my truck - diameter is too large.
so I did get the RP 20-820 (what I currently have now) to fit on it and from what I've found the XG2 is the equivalent in size. Am i correct? I just ordered 7 quarts of PUP 5w30. I wanna try it out. I currently have RL 5w30 and it's good but PUP is wayyyy cheaper. Damn near half, if not half in price.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
If the biggest of all doesn't fit. That is Fram Ultra XG2. It won't fit in my truck - diameter is too large.
Idaho winters are cold but since I want better protection, 5w-30 should still work just find in Idaho winters. It's rarely going to see sub 20F temps.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
so I did get the RP 20-820 (what I currently have now) to fit on it and from what I've found the XG2 is the equivalent in size. Am i correct? I just ordered 7 quarts of PUP 5w30. I wanna try it out. I currently have RL 5w30 and it's good but PUP is wayyyy cheaper. Damn near half, if not half in price.

Correct.

You may want to consider adding LubeGard to the PUP. 5W-30 PUP does not have adequate Moly additive to my recollection - only PUP 0W-40 does.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Correct.

You may want to consider adding LubeGard to the PUP. 5W-30 PUP does not have adequate Moly additive to my recollection - only PUP 0W-40 does.
ahhh **** you're right, i knew i forgot some detail. I would rather pay the extra then and stick with the good stuff. yeah, it's more expensive but not a big deal. Do you think doing every 5k miles is plenty? I feel like changing it out before that is overkill for such a crazy good combo on the RL 5w30 and RP 20-820.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The fram xg2 is frams version to the 20-820 but it is actually bigger than the 20-820. How much room do you have with the 20-820?

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Not a lot to be honest so it may not fit. I have a backup filter just in case

The RP 20-820 fits just fine on my 2017 HEMI and imo the FRAM XG2 should fit just as well, there isn't that much difference in size (heighth) between the both of them to be a fitmit issue ... simple visual comparison in post #1416.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
ahhh **** you're right, i knew i forgot some detail. I would rather pay the extra then and stick with the good stuff. yeah, it's more expensive but not a big deal. Do you think doing every 5k miles is plenty? I feel like changing it out before that is overkill for such a crazy good combo on the RL 5w30 and RP 20-820.

s'ok - that's why we have a Forum.

There is not a complete consensus on OCI for Hemi engines on the Forum. There is general agreement the engine has a lubrication deficiency, hence recommended super oils to help keep them together.
My view is 5,000 mile max. oil change interval, regardless of oil used.

It's not because the oil needs changing - it's because the engine can't tolerate contamination in the oil. This engine has marginal oiling, and small oil orifices in the MDS and VVT hydraulic ports. The oiling to the lifter rollers is also poor.

Anything contributing to poor oiling of this overly sensitive engine should be mitigated to minimize risk of losing the lifters and cams.

A good idea is to increase idle rpm, if you get a tuning software.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
s'ok - that's why we have a Forum.

There is not a complete consensus on OCI for Hemi engines on the Forum. There is general agreement the engine has a lubrication deficiency, hence recommended super oils to help keep them together.
My view is 5,000 mile max. oil change interval, regardless of oil used.

It's not because the oil needs changing - it's because the engine can't tolerate contamination in the oil. This engine has marginal oiling, and small oil orifices in the MDS and VVT hydraulic ports. The oiling to the lifter rollers is also poor.

Anything contributing to poor oiling of this overly sensitive engine should be mitigated to minimize risk of losing the lifters and cams.

A good idea is to increase idle rpm, if you get a tuning software.
I'm going to message you on the tuning software deal. I would like to increase idle rpm at least from 500 to 650. That seems like a very healthy number compared to 500

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm going to message you on the tuning software deal. I would like to increase idle rpm at least from 500 to 650. That seems like a very healthy number compared to 500

I haven't done it because I'd already tuned before this advice came up. I'd have to re-tune the whole thing, don't want to.

@Wild one - was that you?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I haven't done it because I'd already tuned before this advice came up. I'd have to re-tune the whole thing, don't want to.

@Wild one - was that you?
You should be able to change the idle rpm fairly easy with-out changing the whole tune, if you're already tuned

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
What was the name of the tuner you guys are using now? I forgot.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
HP and Diablo are the 2 most commonly used tuning platforms

OP - HP Tuner is the one guys are using now. Diablo has kind of fallen out of favor, but was what I used "back in the day". ha ha

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
OP - HP Tuner is the one guys are using now. Diablo has kind of fallen out of favor, but was what I used "back in the day". ha ha
If you've tuned it with Diablo,just go into the parameters reset,and you should find one listed for idle rpm,and you should be able to up the idle rpm to at least 700 rpm.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A member called champion labs, the rumor is at least jan before our beloved rp filter back. He doesnt post much, I invite him to post more here if he wants. He is considering the M1 m1-210 which appears to be our larger ram filter. Any experience from ram forum with this filter?