Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
As I read through this thread, I counted how many times different people mentioned buying, using, or preferring different filters. Top 3 results from this thread:
1. RP: 30
2. Fram Ultra: 17
3. Wix XP: 9

I also went to other sites/forums and counted up the most popular in addition to those on this thread:
1. RP: 45
2. Wix XP: 35
3. Fram Ultra: 24
4. Amsoil: 16
5. Mopar/SRT: 15

RP has more ram owners using it across multiple sites than any other oil filter, with Wix XP not far behind.

Also noticed that different forums prefer different filters, but this forum/thread is the only one that really digs into/takes a critical look at filter material.

Actually, I've been using RP for some time now, so there should be 1 extra in the RP category.

I like this guy, nice work. Not because of the result, because of the process. I wonder the date of the posts, who mentioned RP first? We found it organically, by researching the guts of filters, I wonder if they did the same or maybe got the idea from here?

Yokes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I like this guy, nice work. Not because of the result, because of the process. I wonder the date of the posts, who mentioned RP first? We found it organically, by researching the guts of filters, I wonder if they did the same or maybe got the idea from here?
Thanks!

I was looking online for the best filter for a ram 1500 and came across all these garbage "best oil filter" articles with worthless explanations and generic pros and cons. After looking into it further, those articles were just affiliate marketers trying to get me to click their ads so they could make money. Then I found this thread, learned a ton (thanks!) and started counting to see which was the most popular.

Not sure which one mentioned RP first. I went through a bunch. The only forums/threads I saw people cutting these open is this one and BITOG. This discussion is by far the largest I could find.

Gort

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm not a fan of the smallish Mopar MO-339 filters that are specified for the 6.4 in my 2020 2500. I've been trying to find the correct part number for the larger SRT oil filter but I really don't want to read through all 67 pages of this thread. Could anyone kindly provide the correct part number for a compatible SRT oil filter? TIA.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not sure if anyone has seen this...

AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter Temporarily Not Recommended for Select Ram and GM Applications​

March 4, 2021 - Announcement

AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter Temporarily Not Recommended for Select Ram and GM Applications
We are no longer recommending the AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter for 2007-2013 GM vehicles with the 5.3L engine and 2013-current Ram vehicles with the 5.7L or 6.4L engines. There is no cause for alarm if you or one of your customers is using the EA15K50 Filter with one of the listed vehicles; we are acting out of an abundance of caution. We have sold thousands of AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filters to customers with one of the GM or Ram engines listed above. A very small percentage of those customers have reported gauges or check-engine lights indicating slightly lower than normal oil pressure.

Our industry-leading high-efficiency media removes more particles of smaller sizes than most competing filters to better prevent engine wear. In the GM and Ram applications listed, the EA15K50 Filter is capturing a large number of deposits and reaching its holding capacity before the end of its recommended service life in a small number of instances. This can result in reduced flow and overall oil pressure, but in no way harms the engine. AMSOIL Oil Filters include a bypass relief valve to ensure appropriate oil volume is always delivered to critical components.

Rather than cause some customers unnecessary concern, we are recommending the WIX 57060 or Donaldson P550794 in place of the EA15K50 in 2007-2013 GM 5.3L engines and 2013-current Ram 5.7L and 6.4L engines. They are high-quality filters, but will not capture as many small particles as the AMSOIL Oil Filter does, and they are designed for shorter service intervals.

Watch the Dealer Zone for updates. If you have questions, contact Technical Services at [email protected] or (715) 399-TECH.

FAQ

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Not sure if anyone has seen this...

AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter Temporarily Not Recommended for Select Ram and GM Applications​

March 4, 2021 - Announcement

AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter Temporarily Not Recommended for Select Ram and GM Applications
We are no longer recommending the AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter for 2007-2013 GM vehicles with the 5.3L engine and 2013-current Ram vehicles with the 5.7L or 6.4L engines. There is no cause for alarm if you or one of your customers is using the EA15K50 Filter with one of the listed vehicles; we are acting out of an abundance of caution. We have sold thousands of AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filters to customers with one of the GM or Ram engines listed above. A very small percentage of those customers have reported gauges or check-engine lights indicating slightly lower than normal oil pressure.

Our industry-leading high-efficiency media removes more particles of smaller sizes than most competing filters to better prevent engine wear. In the GM and Ram applications listed, the EA15K50 Filter is capturing a large number of deposits and reaching its holding capacity before the end of its recommended service life in a small number of instances. This can result in reduced flow and overall oil pressure, but in no way harms the engine. AMSOIL Oil Filters include a bypass relief valve to ensure appropriate oil volume is always delivered to critical components.

Rather than cause some customers unnecessary concern, we are recommending the WIX 57060 or Donaldson P550794 in place of the EA15K50 in 2007-2013 GM 5.3L engines and 2013-current Ram 5.7L and 6.4L engines. They are high-quality filters, but will not capture as many small particles as the AMSOIL Oil Filter does, and they are designed for shorter service intervals.

Watch the Dealer Zone for updates. If you have questions, contact Technical Services at [email protected] or (715) 399-TECH.

FAQ
thanks for posting, hard to understand this one especially with no production dates or anything other information. It sure would be nice to know why this happened and in what season, they must have found something. Maybe cold performance issue? And the date suggest this is well into the cheese grater production runs which give better flow, so I really am at a loss. Bypass not opening at correct psi maybe?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Not enough media surface area, @Burla. This is what we were discussing - what's needed is (1) high efficiency, (2) high surface area for reasonable life. Can't have just one of 'em. So, the little, efficient filters ain't makin' it in sensitive engines cause they plug too fast.....hence our search for the larger Royal Purple cans.

Remember when we were looking for media surface area documentation from the filter manufacturers and it was hard to come by if at all? They hide everything from us except their damn marketing spin.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not enough media surface area, @Burla. This is what we were discussing - what's needed is (1) high efficiency, (2) high surface area for reasonable life. Can't have just one of 'em. So, the little, efficient filters ain't makin' it in sensitive engines cause they plug too fast.....hence our search for the larger Royal Purple cans.

Remember when we were looking for media surface area documentation from the filter manufacturers and it was hard to come by if at all? They hide everything from us except their damn marketing spin.
Yep, those small filters are just not enough for the Hemi motors. Then you go and make one with media as efficient as a RP or Amsoil and you’re asking for it to get clogged quickly.

Definitely glad I’m using the bigger filters.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, is this wrong?

Says that filter has no bypass.

Model:
EA15K50
Brand:
Amsoil
Thread:
1 1/2-16
ADB Valve:
No
Bypass Valve:
None

I need to know when this happened, first start or end of trip before I make a decision.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When changing the stock size oil filter there is very little room for its removal. How does a larger filter fit in that small area ?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, is this wrong?

Says that filter has no bypass.

Model:
EA15K50
Brand:
Amsoil
Thread:
1 1/2-16
ADB Valve:
No
Bypass Valve:
None

I need to know when this happened, first start or end of trip before I make a decision.

If Royal Purple has a bypass, why would Champion make same filter size w/o for Amsoil??? I'm confused.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If Royal Purple has a bypass, why would Champion make same filter size w/o for Amsoil??? I'm confused.
Dunno, but I cut my RP filters open many times all have had the metal sheet spring type. Obviously with a hemi as finicky as these are, no way would any filter w/o a bypass work at all. These things tick enough at dry start to remove oil from start up. The massive research we of have done showed amsoil to have a bypass as well, we have all seen the comparison video's, all have bypasses. Is that particular filter just an anomaly?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So using their software, asmoil has the small ram filter as EAO11, and their larger filter is EAO 11, so either the have the large or small for all rams, I didn't look at dimensions. If the eao 11 is large, then I kind of like the fact amsoil uses that for all rams, good for them on that.

But, oil filter data shows no bypass for those, and that has to be wrong. But, oil filter data says this about RP see below... Notice that last word? So as far as I go, day 1 I haven't seen any reason or any evidence that shows there is a better filter to my pea brain. So if anyone asks, it will always be the same answer, if you want a different answer, ask someone else, because 20-820 is as good as it gets as far as I am concerned. I still believe that 11 amsoil filter is a clone, which imo if that is the case is very = to RP 20-820, but upon verification that the 11 has a bypass. Listen guys, big deal here, rams need a bypass, that should be the first thing you look for, then spun microglass as a second feature. As far as Nushells warning, I have no dea what that filter is about, it isnt for a hemi under their fitament guide. And I am really confused why they just didnt say use the 11, dunno. bout that.

Model:
20-820
Brand:
Royal Purple
Thread:
M22x1.5
ADB Valve:
Yes
Bypass Valve:
Yes

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So using their software, asmoil has the small ram filter as EAO11, and their larger filter is EAO 11, so either the have the large or small for all rams, I didn't look at dimensions. If the eao 11 is large, then I kind of like the fact amsoil uses that for all rams, good for them on that.

But, oil filter data shows no bypass for those, and that has to be wrong. But, oil filter data says this about RP see below... Notice that last word? So as far as I go, day 1 I haven't seen any reason or any evidence that shows there is a better filter to my pea brain. So if anyone asks, it will always be the same answer, if you want a different answer, ask someone else, because 20-820 is as good as it gets as far as I am concerned. I still believe that 11 amsoil filter is a clone, which imo if that is the case is very = to RP 20-820, but upon verification that the 11 has a bypass. Listen guys, big deal here, rams need a bypass, that should be the first thing you look for, then spun microglass as a second feature. As far as Nushells warning, I have no dea what that filter is about, it isnt for a hemi under their fitament guide. And I am really confused why they just didnt say use the 11, dunno. bout that.

Model:
20-820
Brand:
Royal Purple
Thread:
M22x1.5
ADB Valve:
Yes
Bypass Valve:
Yes
Is this data on their website?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Is this data on their website?
Which data and which website? I didn't see the exact data on the 11 filter on amsoil, I will try again. I don't even see the cutaway filter like RP has.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Which data and which website? I didn't see the exact data on the 11 filter on amsoil, I will try again. I don't even see the cutaway filter like RP has.
Sorry, Amsoil filter data on Amsoils website