Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm happy using oversize Royal Purple (unless their new owner starts going cheapo), but I'm bothered by the visible degradation of previous gen Fram Ultra XG media. Sure seems to indicate cellulose (paper) is involved? Or maybe it is polypropylene fiber, which hardens (cross-links) and degrades with heat or UV exposure? They've cheapened my house water sediment filter the same way by changing from glass fiber to polypropylene fiber, but house water application isn't anywhere near as harsh as engine lube oil.

Fram never advertised Ultra XG as anything other than all-synthetic media. I've already reported Fram's new media has TWO synthetic layers instead of one with a wire mesh retainer. I suspect they are staged efficiency layers.

Because I use Fram for some of my other weird engines. Got a lot of engines around with two sons.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
someone needs to put the new fram canless filters in a trunk for 6 years to see if it stiffens. The one thing I know for sure, the rp media wont stiffen even in a trunk for 10 years.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got sick of waiting for Royal Purple 10-48 in Australia, and Summit won't ship these to Australia. I just ordered 10 x XG10060 Fram from Summit. Fright for one was about $US40 and about $US50 for 10 of them. I'll change to a remote setup before I use them all but I should be able to sell off the ones not used locally on Ebay.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I got sick of waiting for Royal Purple 10-48 in Australia, and Summit won't ship these to Australia. I just ordered 10 x XG10060 Fram from Summit. Fright for one was about $US40 and about $US50 for 10 of them. I'll change to a remote setup before I use them all but I should be able to sell off the ones not used locally on Ebay.
I think fram is a top choice, but store them in a cool place, if you can.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Summer isn't so cool here. Although rare it can hit 45degC (113F), but there are places I can put them that remain below 30degC like on concrete.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Basement / root cellar?

We don't generally have either in Australia. Houses are rarely build below ground here as there as no-one needs furnaces or central heating etc. Mine is build on a stepped concrete slab so I can stash them on the floor in a cupboard at the lowest part of the house which the the house garage.

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, have I read it correctly that the RP 20-500 will fit a 2014 1500 Hemi? I usually use the 20-820 but Amazon is out of them, I'd rather run the 20-500 than the 10-48 if it fits plus it's cheaper and I'm already ordering the same filter for the 2019 Expedition.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So, have I read it correctly that the RP 20-500 will fit a 2014 1500 Hemi? I usually use the 20-820 but Amazon is out of them, I'd rather run the 20-500 than the 10-48 if it fits plus it's cheaper and I'm already ordering the same filter for the 2019 Expedition.
yes, it fits

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Those results are different then the more specific gm test or the oil filter test last posted, but thanks for posting it. The gm test and other one ****** brand, this test didnt, we have no idea about the products used and as we know, brand is everything when it comes to filter.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Those results are different then the more specific gm test or the oil filter test last posted, but thanks for posting it. The gm test and other one ****** brand, this test didnt, we have no idea about the products used and as we know, brand is everything when it comes to filter.
I mostly just shared it for the visual perspective of an oil filter test. Plus another thing this didnt acount for is what are these filters like after 3k miles? 6k miles? 10k miles? Paper seems best when new but i think we all know a synthetic spun microglass filter is better over the course of the oci

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
And id add what if the oil was at 200f?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The filter he used was EMGO, I wonder if that is rebranded wix xp or something else. As you can see right from the beginning, it isnt the thick lush loose media of RP/Amsoil ea. Did they leave the brands out on purpose? It seams like a well produced video, not some weekend warrior job, but production machinery and testing was thoughtful, and yet the brand and choice to have only one option of each filter was willfully ignorant. With that much effort I would have expected more brands and name the brands. It was clearly a PR puff piece.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The filter he used was EMGO, I wonder if that is rebranded wix xp or something else. As you can see right from the beginning, it isnt the thick lush loose media of RP/Amsoil ea. Did they leave the brands out on purpose? It seams like a well produced video, not some weekend warrior job, but production machinery and testing was thoughtful, and yet the brand and choice to have only one option of each filter was willfully ignorant. With that much effort I would have expected more brands and name the brands. It was clearly a PR puff piece.
I think we can add the vp racing oil filter to the amsoil/rp to. Looks to be a clone of those 2 filters from the 2 cut opens ive seen on youtube. The nice thing with the vp is they spell out spun microglass instead of just "wire backed synthetic media" which as @HEMIMANN pointed out could mean polypropelyne media. I dont know much about those but according to hemimann polypropelyne is cheaper FWIW

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Melting point of polypropylene is 312 degrees F. Max sump oil temp is ~ 230 degrees F, but more importantly, polypropylene can age / temp-harden. Its fine for spun mesh water filters (my house filters switched from glass to polypro), but hot, contaminated engine oil?? Um, no thanks.

Melting point of plain glass is 2,552 degrees F. Obviously not a temperature problem along as it's not made too brittle to break.

Anybody see why spun fiberglass might just be a hair more expensive than polypropylene?

@Burla - you could write a commercial using "thick, lush, loose" adjectives. For a number of items. Such as my brain, for example.