Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Since our engines like molybdenum, I am going with Liqui Moly MolyGen 5W30 and an OEM filter. Right now I used Fram fully synthetic oil 5W20 just to get it from point A to B because it was sitting for over 4 years. These are GREAT trucks!

Best regards,

-Mike
that oil has no moly. liqui moly uses titanium and not moly in their oil.

This thread is for filters, look up syn oil thread.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
looks like they went from no moly to low moly, but prior to this liqui moly had no moly to speak of, this has been discussed here if you use search function.

lm-molygen-5w40-200503_virgin_analysis_clean-jpg.23208

Ghost1500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Fram makes engine oil now?
Yes, they sell it at Advance Auto. I'm not a big fan of their oil filters but I had to get the truck from point a to point b after sitting for so long. I wanted the cheapest full synthetic I could find. This was 6.99 per qt.

Best regards,

-Mike

az chip

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Here is a 20-500 and a 10-48 filter. I thought the top flow holes would be bigger. Is this normal?429AF4FB-3394-4B4E-8236-B8E0F82DCC3F.jpegB66B9FF6-FBD4-4933-BF05-5B9DF1EEE76E.jpeg

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Now that is interesting, the 20-820 does have 8 holes and not 6. As long as I have been here I keep coming back to the same combo, 20-820 and 5w30 redline. No matter how many ways we skin this cat, the cream rises to the top.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View attachment 494526
Just picked up Wednesday.
Very nice.....always liked the Sand color. Mine is a '16 Rebel with the Red/black two tone paint. Currently at 80k miles.

I've tried a number of oil filters, from Mopar to Fram Ultra. My 5.7 seems to prefer Mopar. With the Fram Ultra (and Penn Ultra Plat, or PUP) oil, I get some startup chatter for a second or two, but never had Hemi tick. With a Mopar filter, I don't get the startup chatter. I'm currently running the slightly larger Mopar MO-899 filter (it used to be "the" 5.7 filter until Mopar decided they needed a smaller one to make it easier on their service techs). No idea why....the 899 fits perfect, and it's awkward to change regardless of filter size.

Ghost1500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
With a Mopar filter, I don't get the startup chatter.
I am going to run the Mopar OEM ones too. I have a 2019 Hyundai Veloster N and that thing only likes the OEM filters as well. If I find the Mopar ones are crap, I will try the 20-820.

Best regards,

-Mike

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if because of this thread you can no longer get the RP 20-820. LOL. Seriously though cannot find it anywhere. Where do you guys typically get it? If from Amazon yea out of stock like other places. Wonder if it is getting hit with the "production issues"?

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I wonder if because of this thread you can no longer get the RP 20-820. LOL. Seriously though cannot find it anywhere. Where do you guys typically get it? If from Amazon yea out of stock like other places. Wonder if it is getting hit with the "production issues"?
try oreilly auto parts. Or maybe @Rod Knock still has the ones he purchased and doesnt use and would sell to you?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
did you try direct?

Rod Knock

Reaction score
try oreilly auto parts. Or maybe @Rod Knock still has the ones he purchased and doesnt use and would sell to you?
@Burn2k12Ram I got a bunch of them and I sell them for $12.99 a piece, with free shipping if you buy them all. The catch with free shipping is that it comes out of my pocket, so shipping individual filters is almost the cost of the filter versus shipping all of them in one box. I don't think they're that great, and in fact, I no longer use them, but whoever vants them can have them.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Rod Knock,
So what do you use now?
I had a funny incident a couple days ago. (Just an aside)
Had my oil changed at dealer as only 2nd change. Full synthetic and paid, got home. Small drop off steering rack (as usual) Got under to clean off and found A NAPA GOLD FILTER!
Challenged dealer, they were out and fitted that instead! Not good. Didn’t tell me or ask me. I did check invoice and it was in fairness in there, just under parts…..7060. They assured me it was FCA approved. I blew and made them fit a genuine one yesterday. Was I over the top? Probably. My trust is now dented.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Rod Knock,
So what do you use now?
Had my oil changed at dealer as only 2nd change. Full synthetic and paid, got home. Small drop off steering rack (as usual) Got under to clean off and found A NAPA GOLD FILTER!
Challenged dealer, they were out and fitted that instead! Not good. Didn’t tell me or ask me. I did check invoice and it was in fairness in there, just under parts…..7060. They assured me it was FCA approved. I blew and made them fit a genuine one yesterday. Was I over the top? Probably. My trust is now dented.
I believe the napa gold is the same filter as a regular wix which is a quality paper filter imo. The one time dealer changed my oil they used a servicepro filter with servicepro synblend 5w20

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rod Knock,
So what do you use now?
This is exactly why no one else will ever do the oil change on my truck but me. No one.