Oil housing leak or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdventureDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
So the other day, my 80k mile V6 started leaking out of the blue. Y'all know the drill, top of the engine, running down and covering the tranny, and all that. So...I googled the Oil filter housing and cooler leaking that plagues these engines. Before I did that, I took out the Fram oil filter, and just for the heck of it, put on a WalMart filter. No more leak. I've got about 5k miles since the last oil change. What do y'all recommend? I've already bought the parts, but I'd rather not spend $800 bucks or something....OR just get it done as a preventive measure? I was going to do the spark plugs at the same time...

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was the housing top loose at all? If not, it's probably cracked and just holding together for now. I'd be looking at replacing, maybe time it with your next oil change?

OP
OP
A

AdventureDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Nope, it was snug, but I have been careful to not overtighten it. I looked at is, and no cracks that I could see, and the outside was dry...so...yeah, it's getting changed. It'll either be now, (minor hassle) or totally give out on a trip, hauling our RV (MASSIVE hassle)

Russ_M

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
My 2017 RAM Big Horn 3.6L recently developed a leak. It started a few weeks ago when it got down to 0 Degrees. Once weather warmed up the leak stopped. I had gone under the truck and wiped everything down to try and trace the leak, but then it stopped. A week ago when it got down to below zero again the leak returned. Now it's a bit worse. I have an appointment for the 17th to take it in. I still have an extended warranty (100,000 miles and am at 52,000).

Mine started out of the blue and stopped and then started again. It was temperature related I think. Yours may start again also. Good luck.

OP
OP
A

AdventureDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Interesting... We've had mild weather. The day I noticed it was 72 degrees. So ...quien sabe?

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you can not see the crack in the oil filter cooling housing as it cracks on the bottom where it sits in the V of the engine. take a flashlight and look down in the V and see how much oil is pooled up. what happens is the valley fills up and sloshes back and then drips down the tranny and the cycle repeats.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OR just get it done as a preventive measure? I was going to do the spark plugs at the same time...
That’s my plan. Since the intake has to be pulled to replace the spark plugs I’m going to do the full preventative maintenance package. New oil cooler housing, knock sensors, seals, coolant drain and fill along with a new T-stat.

Russ_M

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Just as a follow-up. The service shop did indeed find the oil cooler assembly leaking. It is now replaced with a new OEM one. Be interesting to see how long this one lasts. It was under extended warranty so cost me the $250 deductible. Their price to fix was just under $900. They also indicated they see this issue quite a bit on the V6 engines.

ramrod_2023

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the other day, my 80k mile V6 started leaking out of the blue. Y'all know the drill, top of the engine, running down and covering the tranny, and all that. So...I googled the Oil filter housing and cooler leaking that plagues these engines. Before I did that, I took out the Fram oil filter, and just for the heck of it, put on a WalMart filter. No more leak. I've got about 5k miles since the last oil change. What do y'all recommend? I've already bought the parts, but I'd rather not spend $800 bucks or something....OR just get it done as a preventive measure? I was going to do the spark plugs at the same time...
Question for you. Was it because you had the oil filter cap too tight?