OIL in coolant reservoir ONLY. Radiator drained clean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jon Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2009 4.7 liter 1500.

Dirty milkshake like oil in my coolant reservoir, however when I drained my rad thru the petcock it drained clean. In the picture you can see the pan on the left is milky - dirty from my reservoir and the pan on the left is from the petcock. Clearly a difference. The picture on the left does not truly show how dirty the reservoir is

I drained and flushed the reservoir and rad, but with a day the coolant reservoir was dirty again.

I even did a head gasket test with the blue liquid dye and it did NOT indicated any leaks

This problem has existed for years, and has been running fine, but it's starting to bother me so I need help.

What else could it be? PCV? No engine cooler on this 4th gen. Any other ideas?

Thanks

radcoolant.jpg

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Coolant goes to the transmission also.

In all honesty your coolant looks perfectly fine. I wouldn't throw any money at it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is how the reservoir is designed, for the most part contamination into reservoir is a one way trip, it settles and does not go back into rad. Both look to be in very good shape, of course you are hoat and the interval was 5 years, but in aging systems you will want to lower that to 3 years imo. Stay with Mopar so you can see that orange.

Oil and Water don't mix, if you let it settle you can see if it is oil, I'm not really sure by that pic.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Coolant goes to the transmission also.

In all honesty your coolant looks perfectly fine. I wouldn't throw any money at it.

Not on an 09.There's only coolant fed to the transmission on the 8 speed trucks.The transmission cooler is in the top of the A/C condenser,not in the rad.