oil temperature while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramccie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hello all,

My truck is a brand new 2018 RAM 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi, 1100 miles on the odometer with the proper break-in procedures followed and with the factory fill oil.

Today I towed my 5000 lbs trailer on a steep incline at 55 MPH and outside temperature was 92 degrees. The oil temperature going up the hill reached 252 degrees while the tranny temps stayed at 176 and coolant went up to 227 degrees. I'm worried that the thin factory fill 5W-20 oil may not be sufficient in protecting the motor at these temperatures and I was wondering if I switch to Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 is a wise choice. What oil temps are you folks seeing when towing? Is 250+ degrees normal under stressing conditions and is the factory fill oil capable in withstanding these temps?

TIA,
Jim

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Switching to the 30wt oil is a damn good idea imo ! Not just for towing but all the time . Many here using 30wt for the added film strength and protection .

I've towed 7500+ with mine in 90+°f heat running 30 wt oil and my oil temp never went above 230°f .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

ramccie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Switching to the 30wt oil is a damn good idea imo ! Not just for towing but all the time . Many here using 30wt for the added film strength and protection .

I've towed 7500+ with mine in 90+°f heat running 30 wt oil and my oil temp never went above 230°f .

Will do asap. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks. BTW, I’m a big fan of Redline lubricants and have used them for years. RL 5W-30 will go in at about 5K miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's great !
I've been using Redline for about 30 years , started off while racing , then I eventually started using their oils in everything . I've never had an oil issue .
I use Redline 5W-30 in both of my 5.7L Hemi's with great results .

Since your engine is so young I'd recommend doing a couple short oil change intervals ( 3000 ish miles ) to get the largest amount of iron & copper out using Pennzoil of your choice( PUP) Pennzoil Ultra Platnum would be my choice , but all the 5W-30 Pennzoils are a great oil .
Then I'd use the Redline oil .
Best price on Redline products here is ordered from a member / forum Vendor Nick from nick@gotexhaust .

Also the filter that has tested best for the 5.7L hemi is the RP 10-48 .
This is the filter I and many others use . Other great filters are the Amsoil filter and the WixXp .

Hope this helps !

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I'd be careful switching oil weights from what is the oem recommended oil. If you have a failure they could deny your warranty claim. Not to say they would but it could possibly give them an out. I'm sure there is extensive testing done on oil by the oem before they decide on a weight for your engine. Just as my 6.4 takes 0w-40 weight, which has to meet a certain Chrysler spec. Pennzoil ultra platinum is one that does so that's what I run.

If you are regularly seeing oil temps that high, change it more often. In the summer I've seen it in the 240s at least if I remember correctly. Good luck!

OP
OP
R

ramccie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks guys. I'm planning on using PUP in the first few oil changes like R.L.K suggested and then switch to Redline. I thought 5W-30 is also "approved" by FCA. Here's what's in my manual:

NOTE: Mopar SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available.

I am concerned about the warranty but wouldn't the above statement eliminate any warranty issues when using PUP 5W-30 which is MS-6395 approved? I guess it is all about the wording and lawyer talk but it seems that using that oil should be OK.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thanks guys. I'm planning on using PUP in the first few oil changes like R.L.K suggested and then switch to Redline. I thought 5W-30 is also "approved" by FCA. Here's what's in my manual:

NOTE: Mopar SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available.

I am concerned about the warranty but wouldn't the above statement eliminate any warranty issues when using PUP 5W-30 which is MS-6395 approved? I guess it is all about the wording and lawyer talk but it seems that using that oil should be OK.
It would seem so based on that wording, so long as the oil you use meets the Chrysler spec. Make sure you keep good maintenance records and receipts for the oil and filters you are using if you do your own work as i do. If you have a failure, you need to be able to document you have maintained the truck according to, or in my case better than the factory specified OCI.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fwiw the Chrysler specs for oil is an absolute JOKE !
Nearly any cheep ass gas station junk oil would pass the MS cert if they were willing to pay for the terribly LAME certification donut [emoji16]

Also , the Mopar filters tested poorly ( also a joke ) the best filter in the filter testing I've seen was the RP 10-40 By Royal Purple , don't confuse RP's oils with their filters . RP filters are top notch but they have significantly changed the formulation of their oils over the years ....reducing the ppm of Molybdenum , calcium , phosphorus and zinc .....

Gentleman use what you want , but I prefer to use a much better product than the oem's MINIMUM Requirements stated in their junk MS Certification.

If your concerned with warranty then by all means use the PUP 5W-30 as it is a fantastic oil !!!
If your hemi starts " ticking " then dump the PUP and pour in an even better oil Redline , which has all the good stuff in good ppms [emoji106]

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Fwiw the Chrysler specs for oil is an absolute JOKE !
Nearly any cheep ass gas station junk oil would pass the MS cert if they were willing to pay for the terribly LAME certification donut [emoji16]

Also , the Mopar filters tested poorly ( also a joke ) the best filter in the filter testing I've seen was the RP 10-40 By Royal Purple , don't confuse RP's oils with their filters . RP filters are top notch but they have significantly changed the formulation of their oils over the years ....reducing the ppm of Molybdenum , calcium , phosphorus and zinc .....

Gentleman use what you want , but I prefer to use a much better product than the oem's MINIMUM Requirements stated in their junk MS Certification.

If your concerned with warranty then by all means use the PUP 5W-30 as it is a fantastic oil !!!
If your hemi starts " ticking " then dump the PUP and pour in an even better oil Redline , which has all the good stuff in good ppms [emoji106]

Fully agree on the RP oil filter. I did my homework and dumped the MOPAR paper element and went to RP. Due to warranty MS12663 must stick to Amsoil or PUP.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fully agree on the RP oil filter. I did my homework and dumped the MOPAR paper element and went to RP. Due to warranty MS12663 must stick to Amsoil or PUP.
Amsoil or PUP should serve you well Sir !
I'm partial to Redline oil mainly because I've used them so long with great results .
I have no reason to change .
I'll say again though if your hemi starts ticking then just switch to Redline 30 wt oil as it has a history of significantly reducing or eliminating noisy & ticking Hemi's 5.7L & 6.4L just use the 40 wt for the 6.4L [emoji16]

Last edited:

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Amsoil or PUP should serve you well Sir !
I'm partial to Redline oil mainly because I've used them so long with great results .

Would like to have RL as a high quality option to A and PUP. Thanks for your help yesterday.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anytime Sir !
Glad to help out where I can [emoji1303]

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It always amazes me how many people have chemical and mechanical engineering degrees on forums.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It always amazes me how many people have chemical and mechanical engineering degrees on forums.
Welcome to this thread Deki .. Read lots , say nothing until you have something beneficial to post [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Welcome to this thread Deki .. Read lots , say nothing until you have something beneficial to post [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Beneficial like giving people info that could potentially ruin their truck? Yeah, got it.

Here is something beneficial.

If anyone here thinks that a way to reduce oil temperature is to switch to a thicker oil, they need to go back to physics 101.

Another tip, I've done 3 Blackstone OCAs on my 1500 in 21,000 miles, with dealer oil changes, and factory filter, and none of them showed any wear. 40% of those miles were towing a 6400 pound trailer.

Old wives tales are just not good advice for modern engines. Zinc isnot necessary to preserve roller cams, and the amount of zinc in modern oils is inconsequential.

How's that for adding to the thread?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Post your UOA's here sir and I'll point out the wear you say your not getting with a dealer installed oil filter and dealer oil .

We can discuss all the points you tried to make above .

I truly believe you have no idea and you believe what you are saying , hey there's no wrong in that ...if you don't know , you just don't know [emoji1303]

Post up your UOA's & let's talk about them..

I'll also point out the viscosity , zink , phosphorus , Molybdenum and calcium levels that likely need improvement.

If you'd like I'll give you some pointers on the type of filter that would help you as well . We should also cover the air filter & your PCV .
I'm not looking to argue Sir , I just want to help a Ram forum member .

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seeing as many of us have been and are continuing to run 5w30 in our MDS 5.7 Hemi's that FCA says requires 5w20 with absolutely no adverse effects other than a quiet and smooth running motor, yeah I'm going to recommend 5w30 as well. PUP 5w30 is great if you're concerned about warranty issues.

Keep in mind a 20wt is only a 20wt at 210*F. Above that it gets thinner and thinner and the protection gets less and less. These are facts. Look them up.

No degree in engineering here, just common sense.