Oil Weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Oh, it wouldn't bother me at all if I had to use the Pennzoil Ultra. I'm just in the process of a learning curve with the new
Euro is the better formula for mobil 1. Its got a full dose of ZDDP and boron with average moly. Top notch base oils to. And its loaded with approvals

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
That's actually backwards? Tolerances have improved, clearances haven't. A clearance is a spec, a tolerance is how much variation from that spec you will tolerate.

Our production lines have improved in that the tolerances/precision manufacturing has improved, but there are guys on bitog who are basically saying clearances haven't changed on engines in like 30+ years because of the physics of different metals; we can't get away from the fact that iron/aluminum/copper all expand and contract at different rates, so the clearnances in an engine need to account for that.
I was a bit too binary in my statement. I understand the difference. Thx for the clarification.

Slick61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Geez... buy your oil & filter on Amazon... got 7 quarts of PUP for $53 and a Mopar filter for $8... delivered to you door.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I ran the PUP in my 2018 since day one of ownership with never an issue. I'll stick with what's not broke on the 2023. I usually take mine to local place as they also rotate my tires at the same time. My "free time" is expensive.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ran the PUP in my 2018 since day one of ownership with never an issue. I'll stick with what's not broke on the 2023. I usually take mine to local place as they also rotate my tires at the same time. My "free time" is expensive.
If it works, AND you're happy, then go for it! "To each his own" said the man as he kissed his pig! ;)

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
lol...I like my pig.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The big idea behind PUP is that it's made from natural gas, according to their ads. If it is synthetic, how's it made from a naturally occurring hydrocarbon, hmm?

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The big idea behind PUP is that it's made from natural gas, according to their ads. If it is synthetic, how's it made from a naturally occurring hydrocarbon, hmm?
You're not supposed to ask questions. Just pay the exorbitant price and get on along.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I did find that Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic 0W-40 is an equivalent to PUP 0W-40 Full Synthetic. It says, "MEETS OR EXCEEDS ALL REQUIREMENTS of API SN, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, & C3, MB 229.5, 229.3, & 226.5, VW 50200/50500 & 50501, BMW LL-01, Porche A40, Renault RN0700 & RN0710, and Chrysler MS-12633/ MS-10725". The MS-12633 part is what's important. But it's the same price, so there is no savings.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

All API Group IV synthetics are made from hydrocarbons. However, they can't be crude oil refined hydrocarbons. That's what sets Group IV apart - these are polyalphaolefins built from smaller hydrocarbons.

In fact, natural gas is made into synthetic oil using the Fischer-Tropsch process such that it can not be classified as a Group IV - it is a Group III+.......more saturated than a catalytic-cracked and severely-hydrotreated crude, but not reacted in an additive process. F-T process has interim steps that are very strange, if you look it up. The Germans invented it and used it in WWII to convert coal gas to fuel and lubes.

PAO Group IV is more highly saturated, because it starts with ethane, C2H4, then reacts over a catalyst to increase molecule length until desired viscosity is reached.

Group V synthetics are every thing else - esters, silicones, glycols, etc.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All API Group IV synthetics are made from hydrocarbons. However, they can't be crude oil refined hydrocarbons. That's what sets Group IV apart - these are polyalphaolefins built from smaller hydrocarbons.

In fact, natural gas is made into synthetic oil using the Fischer-Tropsch process such that it can not be classified as a Group IV - it is a Group III+.......more saturated than a catalytic-cracked and severely-hydrotreated crude, but not reacted in an additive process. F-T process has interim steps that are very strange, if you look it up. The Germans invented it and used it in WWII to convert coal gas to fuel and lubes.

PAO Group IV is more highly saturated, because it starts with ethane, C2H4, then reacts over a catalyst to increase molecule length until desired viscosity is reached.

Group V synthetics are every thing else - esters, silicones, glycols, etc.
Gesundheit...:cool: