Ok I need some help ... yes me go figure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have an aftermarket alarm installed? My viper states that If I plan on not using it for a span of more then two weeks, to turn off the alarm portion or it will drain my battery. However, she gets started daily.

and

12-13 volts ? wow didnt know a 12v battery could over exceed ..lol

I get ya ..lol

My cobra radar, reads the voltage output and it reads about 13.x volts sometimes 14.1 I have a yellow battery in mine, one of the top end ones.

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Well I stand corrected. Lol. And only CTDs have dual batterys. I have a HEMI

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I'm almost sold on a bad cell in the battery it won't charge off the alt and hold.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Well, allot of people think that the alternator "charges" a battery, when it fact thats not accurate at all. It MAINTAINS a battery...so...if your battery is weak, it's gonna stay weak, it's just going to make that alternator work harder to try and maintain it, resulting in damage to the alternator.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Well another Battery will confirm all the theories whether a drain while driving or sitting or like ya said **** battery to start!

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why don't you just switch it out with the one in your work van and see if the truck will charge the vans battery and if so then the battery in the truck is bad.

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
a little late but if your battery isn't 100% sealed, check the water level in the cells. Add distilled water if it's low. If it's a sealed battery, swap it out with another that you know is good and see if the problem continues.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really think you have something that is aftermarket that drained your battery.

I have a yellow top, very nice battery, lasted a long ass time.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
A good battery tester will show if it has a dead cell or not, most good shops have one.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
You could also disconnect the battery and charge it up and let it sit. If it goes down it's bad. The charging system like everything electrical is complex on the Ram. The PCM actually regulates the voltage, using inputs from the battery voltage and temperature. read up on it and you will be surprised, nothing old school here. Good luck. OBTW, my guess is you have a bad battery.

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like the battery to me. I am in the process of going to a dual battery setup and bought a yellow top Optima for the 2nd battery.

But the hardcore Jeep guys, and I mean the really hardcore guys have already gotten on my case about my battery choice. Seems the Optimas are to batteries what Flowmaster is to mufflers. Have the name, but not the performance.

Dave, look at the Sears Platinum P-4, 34/78DT it's not cheap, but it's supposed to be the GOD of batteries, especially if you own a winch. Also has separate side and top posts for connecting the winch and other high amp draw components to it...

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Ed , link me to this battery . I am looking for a dual post one just for the simple fact of the winch .

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
I found this quote on a Jeep forum ??

This battery has a well documented flaw in that the internal post connectors become detached from road (and off road) vibrations. Many guys on my truck forum who have bought this battery have been stranded by this issue. One guy posted he had gone through three batteries in less than two years due to this. The Sears automotive tech told him he sees it constantly and was remiss as to why the manufacturer hasn't redesigned the battery to fix the issue. He's had it replaced at no charge each time, but didn't help him when his truck wouldn't start.

This is a powerful battery made for vehicles with multiple accessories, but has a very serious design flaw...

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
What is the highest amp drawing , cold cranking , made for allot of **** battery out there ?