Old text message keeps returning as new.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
All right I've ignored this problem for a number of years and it's resurfaced here and there. I'll do my best to explain this and what's going on. I'll also apologize right now for how long this is I'm really not sure how else to explain it without the detail.

First I have two RAMs one that's a 2013 Sport 4x4 Crew cab with the 8.4A Radio (non-navigation) premium Alpine sound. The second is a 2011 Sport 4x4 Crew cab with the premium radio premium Alpine sound, with navigation and DVD player. I just picked this truck up a few weeks ago for my son so I don't know what the model number of this radio is. But it's about a 5-in screen that folds out if you insert a DVD/CD. The navigation in this unit is basically a Garmin Nuvi interface. I've always had Android phones and still do.

So here's the issue I'm having. A few years ago my sister sent me a text message. This particular text message is the first saved message if you were to scroll all the way back to the beginning of the text messages I have on my phone. Fast forward about a year later and at some point a new Android phone. When I got the Android phone I transferred over messages the same message retained is the first message from my sister. Fast forward about another 3 years and another new Android phone that has the same message for my sister reoccurring randomly when somebody texts me.

First this is in my 2013 which I've owned since new. This did not sit on a dealer lot as it was custom ordered by me. I've also had the radio change three times because of a couple other random issues that I gave up on as well.
Basically what happened is about a year after my sister sent this message It started popping up as a brand new message whenever my one friend Jeff would send me a text message. Originally it was just when a new message would come in from him that her message would pop up as new as well.

So say Jeff texted and said hi. I would then receive two new text message notifications in my truck. One saying I had a new message from Jeff the other saying I had one for my sister. This would go on for entire conversation. Then I started getting messages from other people and it seemed like there was a different random pairing of contacts from my phone that would be associated together and come in as new every time they texted me as well. The multiple other people eventually went away but for some reason every time my friend Jeff sends me a message my sisters message pops back up as new. Luckily Jeff's out of the area and we talk just here and there to catch up. So I've just ignored it up till the other day.

The other day I was in the truck that I just bought for my son which is the 2011 and a completely different uconnect system I thought. My friend Jeff texted to say hey and for the next 10 messages back and forth every time his came in the same message from my sister popped up as new... I messed with the 2011 a few times now even drove it to work today just to test it out and make sure everything's working correctly. And unfortunately my original thinking of this just being an issue with when Jeff text's me was wrong. On my 2011 it is happening for every message I get in now.

So now this is happening between both trucks the 2013 and 2011 It's bothering me again. Oh and I should note it doesn't seem to be doing it on my 2013 right now or for any recent time that I can remember...

I guess the thing is the hardest to figure out is on the 2013 it seems to be pretty random but on the 2011 it seems to be more consistent... It did work for a while on the 2011 as it should.

Lastly Yes I did try to pair an unpair my phone with the truck. Just curious if anyone else is come across the same issue or something similar.

One of the other issues I had with the radio was the station that I listened to normally would not display the correct station information or song information. Yet I swear it seems like every other station works correctly. At one point I even called the radio station and told them about it. They had a couple people Chrysler products and said they had no issues... I've borrowed other vehicles from the dealer with the same radio as mine and never experienced the problem. Which is why I just gave up on it after the third radio change...

Again sorry for the long post Let me know if anybody has any insight.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Take your Android Cell Phone to a shop that has an old timer tech in the back room.

Your phone has an area that has an address book
another area stores your messages
i'm not sure where the pictures that you took are stored

OP
OP
LOFSFIRE

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take your Android Cell Phone to a shop that has an old timer tech in the back room.

Your phone has an area that has an address book
another area stores your messages
i'm not sure where the pictures that you took are stored
Well I appreciate the reply I'm not sure what this has to do with the issue that I posted. Where the messages are stored on the phone is just different directories. I didn't even ask anything about pictures so I'm not sure what that common is about. Maybe you have something else that you're alluding to and I'm missing. Please explain if so.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am saying that some where in your cell phone, in one of the storage areas, you have a stored message.
If you can't find it & erase it, then an old time tech knows where to find it.

It is not hiding in the radio

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Your backup feature seems to be enabled ... this happened to me a few years ago ... I had to backup a new file of everything on my phone and then do a factory reset ...then upload all my information back on the phone again ...

OP
OP
LOFSFIRE

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am saying that some where in your cell phone, in one of the storage areas, you have a stored message.
If you can't find it & erase it, then an old time tech knows where to find it.

It is not hiding in the radio
I'm understanding your thought process now. Unfortunately I know where the message is at and I've tried deleting it. Which works. But then the next message that is now the last or oldest message become the message that comes in as new...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I'm understanding your thought process now. Unfortunately I know where the message is at and I've tried deleting it. Which works. But then the next message that is now the last or oldest message become the message that comes in as new...
Was it part of a group text message ?

OP
OP
LOFSFIRE

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was it part of a group text message ?
No, the old reoccouring message was just a single message that my sister sent me. The same when new messages come in from my friend. They are just between him and me.

Bringing up group messages though. if I do receive a group message in my 2013 (not sure about the 2011) It does not notify me on the truck. It only appears on the phone. I always assumed that was just because it was a group message and it did not know how to handle the group message.

OP
OP
LOFSFIRE

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The phone this started on was an HTC One M9 (I may have had two of these, but around this time I had a phone take a ride off the back of the truck.) Then I transferred everything to a Motorola Moto G5 Plus, then eventually to a Samsung S10E

Something else to note I have used this HTC with Fords Sync on a 2014 Taurus and an 07 F250. The Moto G5 and the Samsung on the 2014 Taurus. The Samsung on a 2021 Buick Enclave with Android auto and Buick's System. None of these presented any problems. Honestly, Buick's system has been great, but I have only had the car since September.

I rented a 2021 Ford Edge this summer and the Sync/ Android auto system was the worst. I had connection problem for the whole trip.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I think for some reason that message was not opened and marked as read and the status just stayed unread and will continue lol ...

I've had group messages where just because of one person not opening the message, it causes issues for everyone for weeks lol .... have you tried responding to that message?

OP
OP
LOFSFIRE

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I've responded, it's my sister so we talked frequently. As is said if I delete that message the the next oldest message become the message the keeps repeating.

The other strange part it it will go a while and be fine. Then all of a sudden it pops up again.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Yes, I've responded, it's my sister so we talked frequently. As is said if I delete that message the the next oldest message become the message the keeps repeating.

The other strange part it it will go a while and be fine. Then all of a sudden it pops up again.
I am out of ideas then lol .... it's probably something in your settings ... I did a few internet searches but didn't find anything that resembles this issue of yours homie ..sorry man wish I could help you ....

OP
OP
LOFSFIRE

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am out of ideas then lol .... it's probably something in your settings ... I did a few internet searches but didn't find anything that resembles this issue of yours homie ..sorry man wish I could help you ....
No I appreciate the help. Like I said I honestly gave up on it with my truck. Until I bought my son this 2011 truck a couple weeks ago I just figured it was something that was with my truck. Then when it popped up on his with a different radio system It had me more confused... Figured I'd post on here and see if anybody else had the same issues...

Thanks for the replies!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
No I appreciate the help. Like I said I honestly gave up on it with my truck. Until I bought my son this 2011 truck a couple weeks ago I just figured it was something that was with my truck. Then when it popped up on his with a different radio system It had me more confused... Figured I'd post on here and see if anybody else had the same issues...

Thanks for the replies!
Very welcome homie!!!