Omg Is this the fall cp4 announcement we've been waiting for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Got mine scheduled to go in on Fri. 7/15. I to have them look at a vibration that started the other day too. I was towing my cargo trailer and I thought it had a loose wheel. Disconnected the trailer and the truck still did it. Checked the wheels on the truck, nothing loose.
Still under warranty. I'll let them figure it out.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Dropped my 2019 off for Tuesday install. Dealer blew it off for two days. Called this afternoon to say the pump is installed, but "having trouble" with the reflash. I am hoping they didn't brick my ECM.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Dropped my 2019 off for Tuesday install. Dealer blew it off for two days. Called this afternoon to say the pump is installed, but "having trouble" with the reflash. I am hoping they didn't brick my ECM.

Your lucky only limited 2019 can get a new pump installed...

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Your lucky only limited 2019 can get a new pump installed...
Yes, I had never let them perform the VB6 recall, so that pretty much opened the door. If they bricked my ECM I'm not feeling very lucky, at the moment.

OP
OP
Billet Bee

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Well, it took them half the day today, but they fixed whatever they had fouled up. Picked it up a bit ago, and so far so good. Barring any surprises, I am super glad to be free of that CP4 junk.
Hell yah. I wish we could all get together and have our version of the burning of books but instead we have a burning of the cp4's as we all gather and throw them into the forge to melt them down.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Got mine scheduled to go in on Fri. 7/15. I to have them look at a vibration that started the other day too. I was towing my cargo trailer and I thought it had a loose wheel. Disconnected the trailer and the truck still did it. Checked the wheels on the truck, nothing loose.
Still under warranty. I'll let them figure it out.
Well ain't this a b**ch.
Dealer calls me today. Vibration is caused by a OEM Nexen tread starting to separate. 31,000 miles on them so they aren't worth squat in warranty. Besides I wouldn't replace them with those crappy things again anyway. Just hoped I could do it on my timetable. Now I have to scramble to see who, if anybody, has Bridgestone Duravis R500's in stock. Worst case I guess I can get the dealer to mount my spare so I can take the truck home. I don't want to have the tire blow on my way back home.

Now for the real kicker. Guy tells me they can't submit for my fuel pump because their diesel tech quit on Friday.
Now I have to find a different dealer.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
When it rains, it pours.
Wifes 2018 Grand Cherokee with EcoDiesel just got recall notice in the mail today for fuel pump recall.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well ain't this a b**ch.
Dealer calls me today. Vibration is caused by a OEM Nexen tread starting to separate. 31,000 miles on them so they aren't worth squat in warranty. Besides I wouldn't replace them with those crappy things again anyway. Just hoped I could do it on my timetable. Now I have to scramble to see who, if anybody, has Bridgestone Duravis R500's in stock. Worst case I guess I can get the dealer to mount my spare so I can take the truck home. I don't want to have the tire blow on my way back home.

Now for the real kicker. Guy tells me they can't submit for my fuel pump because their diesel tech quit on Friday.
Now I have to find a different dealer.

I'd highly recommend General (Continental Tire Owns) Grabber ATX. Highly rated on Tire Rack. Alternate is Falken Wildpeak AT3, but those made in Thailand. At least they were - reported Sumitomo intended to build a new plant in NY State, haven't kept up with this. General made in USA.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
On duallies a closed shoulder tire wears the best on the front. The Bridgestone R500s are wearing like iron on mine. Open shoulders and more aggressive tread patterns will scallop like mad on the front. Also, use Thuren specs for front end alignment. Close to zero toe-in is imperative on these trucks.

Last edited:

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I had Bridgestones as OEM on my Chevy.
Got 70,000+ miles out of the fronts and 60,000+ out of the backs.
Thuren specs are what I had the shops use on my '17 Ram.
The OEM specs for my '20 are just as bad as the '17 and the '20 front right tire is wearing as bad as the '17 did. So, new Bridgestones will get the Thuren specs too.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I had Bridgestones as OEM on my Chevy.
Got 70,000+ miles out of the fronts and 60,000+ out of the backs.
Thuren specs are what I had the shops use on my '17 Ram.
The OEM specs for my '20 are just as bad as the '17 and the '20 front right tire is wearing as bad as the '17 did. So, new Bridgestones will get the Thuren specs too.
Jersey gets blizzards. We have had 20-24" snows fairly often. The Bridgestone's I had on my Chevy were the 700 Duravis which is a slightly better tread for snow.
I replaced the Nexen's on my '17 Ram dually with the 500 Duravis which is highway tire and it wasn't that bad in the snow.
I moved out of NJ to warmer climes, so 500's will do me fine here too.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
In a nod to the "don't panic" crowd, wife's GC has 55,000 miles on it and is a 2018.

Isn't the probability of CP4 pump failure tied to usage, though? I think that's why owners are worried. Also, isn't the failure rate fairly high due to this unrobust design?

The Hemi's also fail with usage, but can be mitigated to a large extent by employing a proven super lubrication strategy. Not aware of any mitigating strategy for the CP4 pump. Hemi failures were estimated by a dealer tech to be 5-10% of all Hemi's that dealer sold.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
According to one dealership I talked to while awaiting my 2022 to arrive, they claimed the only CP4 pumps they have had to replace were in Ambulance or high idle time, yet I have read of some going out with little usage so no rime or reason as to why they fail...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yes, the CP4 is an asinine design. There have been plenty that failed before the first oil change.

We called such designs "value-engineered". i.e. - design margin was to be x 1.000000 to get to the end of warranty. Dictated by the great executives.

In the CP4 case, they didn't even get there. Can't imagine what Bosch was thinking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357