Ooops! What happens if you twist the gear knob while @55mph?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I reached up to turn the radio down and almost grabbed the tranny knob. Do the nanny controls prevent damage or does it rip the park pawl out and damage the tranny?

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It won't shift into park above a certain speed. When I first got my truck I accidently switched it into park while driving through a parking lot. Thought it was the radio volume. The dash just said to stop to shift to park or something like that, quickly realized my mistake and shifted back to drive. No harm done. Mine is a 4th gen so I would bet the 5th is the same.

OP
OP
ibike

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whew. Good to know. I was feeling pretty dang stupid when I reached for the wrong knob. I suspected it wouldn’t let you do it, but what a money maker if it would. Thought about putting something ugly over the tranny knob to prevent grabbing it.
Hey maybe a shock knob?

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I reached up to turn the radio down and almost grabbed the tranny knob. Do the nanny controls prevent damage or does it rip the park pawl out and damage the tranny?

Models vary.

Likely ya have volume controls, backside of steering wheel, on the right. Way too easy to use, while hands on the steering wheel.

I very, very rarely ever tough the radio itself.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Did it myself years ago, As mentioned no damage ! I not have a challenge coin on it and that helps make it feel different !
Over time you will get used to it being there

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I suspected it wouldn’t let you do it
If you shift out of gear while driving to fast to make a change you'll get a warning on the dash to shift it back into gear and then the transmission will go into neutral.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I hated it at first, but got used to it over a span of 2 years. I think it can be improved, mainly it needs deeper/notchier indents as you go from park to reverse to neutral to drive etc. Something stiffer and harder to turn, make the button feel a lot stiffer to match the severity of what you're doing.

I'm not saying we should need to use a pipe wrench, but maybe something in between these two extremes?

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whew. Good to know. I was feeling pretty dang stupid when I reached for the wrong knob. I suspected it wouldn’t let you do it, but what a money maker if it would. Thought about putting something ugly over the tranny knob to prevent grabbing it.
Hey maybe a shock knob?
Bud Light sticker?

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Better than working a 17 hour shift when driving a new truck and thinking the radio dial is the shifter dial and you lift off the brake and the truck starts moving almost into your garage door lmao. When I got mine I still went to grab the non existent column shifter from driving my Tahoe for so long

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Better than working a 17 hour shift when driving a new truck and thinking the radio dial is the shifter dial and you lift off the brake and the truck starts moving almost into your garage door lmao. When I got mine I still went to grab the non existent column shifter from driving my Tahoe for so long
My last two trucks - since 1987 - have been sticks. I keep finding my hand starting to reach over and I have to stop myself. The first week I had this truck I about broke my ankle a couple times trying stomp on the clutch.

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
My last two trucks - since 1987 - have been sticks. I keep finding my hand starting to reach over and I have to stop myself. The first week I had this truck I about broke my ankle a couple times trying stomp on the clutch.
I did the same thing when I first got my 2500. My previous daily driver was my Jeep, which is a manual. Now, whenever I get in my Jeep, I have to remind myself to step on the clutch (and put the key in the ignition) before I start it.

kstill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Models vary.

Likely ya have volume controls, backside of steering wheel, on the right. Way too easy to use, while hands on the steering wheel.

I very, very rarely ever tough the radio itself.
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Tradesman. It doesn't have rear steering wheel radio controls. I don't have a touch screen radio either. I would like to get the steering wheel mod and a touch screen one day... when I can afford it.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for this post, it makes me feel better to hear that I’m not the only one who has accidentally grabbed the shift dial instead of the radio dial, thankfully it was to mute the radio and I didn’t turn it. I don’t have the audio controls on my steering wheel (mine doesn’t have that option) and prefer not to take my eyes off the road, especially on the highway and in traffic.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi