Opinions on Milage for Second 2500 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
As others have said I wouldn't get too worked up on those kind of miles. I look closer at what kind of miles those were. Look at the hitch & bed area to see if it has been doing a lot of towing, how beat up is the bed & interior (was it used in construction), check the brakes (if they are almost wore out it was likely used in more stop & go kind of driving.
I don't know your exact financial situation but as others have said, check new financing compared to used. Between interest rates & incentives you may get a lower payment with a moderately equipped new truck over the used. Especially this time of year, you might see that they move off of a 2018's sticker price a lot right now.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I traded my 14 6.4 in March with like 55k-60k miles and the dealer gave me 33k for it. I took care of the truck, I’m sure it would go another 200k miles, but as others have said- for that price u can get a Brandnew - Lesser trim

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Pick your poison guys. To me it isn't even a question the Ram looks better though.

Chevrolet-2020-Silverado-Front.jpg

RAM_2500_Limited_012-copy.jpg

It’s like being the wingman, and being force to take what’s left of the hot girl’s ugly friends. I’ll pass, and hope mine lasts until the next gen. There isn’t anything compelling me anyway, unless the 6.4 gets an 8-10 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Alexpaul09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Almost two years ago I bought a ‘14 ccsb 6.4 tradesmen with 80k miles for $24,000. I have 120k on it now and not a issue! I think these 6.4 are made to last. Most ppl that ride with me think it’s new

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
BUY BRAND NEW. GET THE WARRANTY WITH IT.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 2500 4x4 C/C Off Road.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How is that Chevy Aero Dynamic. Man is that Ugly.

Booner21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
My 2500 tradesman with the off-road package 5th wheel prep uconnect 5 bedliner led bed lights steps, twist knob 4x4 and chrome package was under 38 otd. I looked for a used one in the 20 to 40k mileage range for 12 months and ended up buying new the delta just wasn't there on the used. I plan on keeping mine way beyond 120k and don't foresee any issues. My first son will be 16 in 9 years and invision it being his first vehicle and then down through the next 2 also. One additional thought i had is since I planned on keeping it for a long time was better off knowing exactly what had been done or not done with it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
35k for on the lot or special order?

$35,000 off the lot tradesmen. 2016 model, made in September of 2015, purchased in February of 2016.

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Thanks for all the replies, fellas. Never really gave much thought to looking at a new truck only because there can be light years difference between a tradesman and nicely equipped Big Horn. There are some features/options that are a must for this truck. Gotta have the 6.4, rearview camera and sensors in the bumper, 8.4 in the dash and upgraded cluster. There are some things the wife will want but mostly if I show her the tradesman package she put the brakes on the deal. I do like the idea of the warranty as that fits our goals for this truck and how it will be used. I'll see if the Ram builder site is up and play around on it a bit to see what that may offer and check with Dennis Dillon as that is where I my current Mega Cab. As far as financing or cash, I'll be putting down about $15-$20K cash and finance the rest through my credit union. I'll post up what we decide to do. Thanks for the advice.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Good luck skip. I bought mine new in December of 16 for just over 35k. Great time to buy is end of year if you can do it then.

I would not invest 34k in a used 2500 personally when you can have new. I'd forgo some of the fancy crap to get a brand new truck with full warranty...but I am a hick. My tradesman is nice inside...my wife likes it too but she's simple like me. Hope something works out for you.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck skip. I bought mine new in December of 16 for just over 35k. Great time to buy is end of year if you can do it then.

I would not invest 34k in a used 2500 personally when you can have new. I'd forgo some of the fancy crap to get a brand new truck with full warranty...but I am a hick. My tradesman is nice inside...my wife likes it too but she's simple like me. Hope something works out for you.

Its all about personal opinion/preference.

And $34k on a low mileage used laramie (if thats what someone is looking for) would be a great deal, considering they are north of $60k new. Msrp on my laramie (power wagon with the 6.4) was over $62k.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The new 2500 looks better than the 1500. And it has the interior of the new style so that’s a nice thing. I think if pictures are correct of the new gen hd they got it right vs the 1500

They are basically the same old worn out truck, with a different front end, slightly different rear end, and possibly completely redesigned interior (I have not yet seen pics/confirmation on this yet).

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They are basically the same old worn out truck, with a different front end, slightly different rear end, and possibly completely redesigned interior (I have not yet seen pics/confirmation on this yet).

Interior is redesigned, was confirmed some time ago on moparinsiders.com and other sites. But you left out the most important part, 8 speed is expected do debut on both diesel and gas models. Only update that really matters :D

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Interior is redesigned, was confirmed some time ago on moparinsiders.com and other sites. But you left out the most important part, 8 speed is expected do debut on both diesel and gas models. Only update that really matters :D

Knowing RAM, it’ll be perfectly geared for the Cummins, and they’ll use the same for the gas engines.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

“Expected”. We shall see!

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
Glad you’ve been enjoying the purchase..

I have 5 friends that have bought a Ram in the last two years, most of them came from GM too. The bang for the buck with the Ram can’t be beat, on top of the fact that they are building a really nice truck.

I couldn't agree more, the bang for your dollar is LARGE when you compare Ram to Ford and GM in a 4th Gen truck. I got down to every last detail and did everything possible to lower the price on the closest contender at the time, and Ram still blew it out of the water. I really enjoy getting a quality product that puts value use and a smile in the consumers world. That is becoming far a few in between these days....

Trucks from Canada are built pretty well been driving mine since 37k miles now I am at 60k. Love my truck. HD means the 2500 right? I never driven one but man I want to!

I hear this more and more from folks south of the border. The last few years here, and while our CAD $ has been weak, there has been a craze nation wide for our trucks heading south. Many dealers that have received trades have been sending them to the US by the truck load, some used lots even specialize in it. Lots of guys selling there trucks privately hiring export companies to market there trucks in the US.

It gives US buyers a steal of a deal, and gives us Canadian sellers top dollar. Matter of fact, I can recall reading online somewhere how in some states, used Canadian trucks are somewhat "sought after" ?

Bought my 2500 Laramie new in December 2014. Was pretty much exclusively GM before that.

I have zero complaints as well. It has been a reliable and comfortable truck in every aspect. I couldn't be happier.

I'm glad I took the time to look around at other brands and finally took the blinders off!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Same here, was strictly GM all my life. 5.3's, two 6.2's and a 6.6 Duramax. I was nervous to switch, but I sure am glad I did now.

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
I couldn't agree more, the bang for your dollar is LARGE when you compare Ram to Ford and GM in a 4th Gen truck. I got down to every last detail and did everything possible to lower the price on the closest contender at the time, and Ram still blew it out of the water. I really enjoy getting a quality product that puts value use and a smile in the consumers world. That is becoming far a few in between these days....

I hear this more and more from folks south of the border. The last few years here, and while our CAD $ has been weak, there has been a craze nation wide for our trucks heading south. Many dealers that have received trades have been sending them to the US by the truck load, some used lots even specialize in it. Lots of guys selling there trucks privately hiring export companies to market there trucks in the US.

It gives US buyers a steal of a deal, and gives us Canadian sellers top dollar. Matter of fact, I can recall reading online somewhere how in some states, used Canadian trucks are somewhat "sought after" ?

Same here, was strictly GM all my life. 5.3's, two 6.2's and a 6.6 Duramax. I was nervous to switch, but I sure am glad I did now.
Can I have an Admin delete this post? I was doing a multi quote in a different thread all together, and somehow it ended up here in this thread lol

Reactions: U&A