Option advice for my next Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New guy here.. I’m looking to replace my 07 Megacab Cummins with a 2-3 yr old 1500 4x4 crew Laramie to tow (7-10k) but mostly commute 10 miles/ day. 5.7, 8 speed, tow pkg are a must. Do I want 3.92 and air ride? Do these 1500s have a rear sway bar? What else should I consider and what years or options should I avoid??
I realize this won’t be a direct replacement to my 07 but I also won’t tow as heavy either.
Thanks! More questions to follow....

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
392 is a definate. I'd stay away from air ride in cold climates they don't do well if you're gonna haul heavier Than reccomended you'll also get airbag overload warning lights and nonsense.
My 1500 sport has the sway bar.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I have aftermarket bags in my sport and tow 10-16000 weekly without any problems. Just don't get caught lol. It's doable but I've also got supporting engine mods that add a few more horses for towing.
That said I also use trailer brakes alot more and inspect regularly to make sure they won't fail me.

OP
OP
T

Tizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually, 8,500 would probably be max. Smaller camper, car on flatbed, occasional load of wood etc. I don’t max out my 2500 now, and I definitely wouldn’t on a 1500. I wouldn’t be towing in cold weather, I do live in a colder climate though. Does the air ride pose problems even without towing in cold weather?
Are the 16-18s mostly unchanged?

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New guy here.. I’m looking to replace my 07 Megacab Cummins with a 2-3 yr old 1500 4x4 crew Laramie to tow (7-10k) but mostly commute 10 miles/ day. 5.7, 8 speed, tow pkg are a must. Do I want 3.92 and air ride? Do these 1500s have a rear sway bar? What else should I consider and what years or options should I avoid??
I realize this won’t be a direct replacement to my 07 but I also won’t tow as heavy either.

3.92’s are a no brainer would never buy a truck without them.

Skip air ride altogether it’s been one of the biggest messes ever on these trucks and not worth the headache.

The trucks do come with a rear sway bar but it is highly recommended you upgrade it to a hellwig 7709 sway bar. The difference is night and day

Txkenpo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD

How often will you be towing, I just did the opposite went from a 17 Rebel 5.7 to a 2500 CTD. I pulled about 7500-8000lbs on a flat bed ( Tractor- hay. The area I live in East TX has a lot of hills I’m not new to hauling been doing it all my life. I would hit hills at 80 mph and top them at 65-70. The Hemi handled the job but it was not easy and gas mileage went way down under load not that it was great empty.

Getting the weight right on the trailer was critical. A few times I had the weight just a little to far back. It took too much weight off rear axle of the truck and quickly got squirly . And stopping was noticeably hard on the truck for lack of better words the truck just didn’t have enough ass. I haven’t pulled with my new truck yet just got it Sat but used Dads 2500 many times it hauls 100% better than my 1500 did.
Hope that don’t cause a ruckus but it’s my experience with both trucks.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
10000 pounds is too much for 1500 IMHO, regardless of the rating. I would suggest a 2500 with the 6.4 hemi.

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
As the current and former owner of Ram 1500’s I would say their quality issues make it impossible to recommend them. Buy a Honda or Toyota, steer clear of the big three. If I ever buy a truck again it will be a Honda.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
As the current and former owner of Ram 1500’s I would say their quality issues make it impossible to recommend them. Buy a Honda or Toyota, steer clear of the big three. If I ever buy a truck again it will be a Honda.
And yet, you bought a 2019? Why such a bad experience?

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Exactly, I hoped after such a long gap they would have got their QC under control, clearly they haven’t. I decided to give it one more chance, that’s the only reason I got the 19. I thought ok, maybe I was to harsh to get rid of mine in 03. I see I wasn’t to harsh and I see no improvement in QC. I think I expected to much. So I am the one that is at fault. I was only sharing my opinion and what I would choose moving forward.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Exactly, I hoped after such a long gap they would have got their QC under control, clearly they haven’t. I decided to give it one more chance, that’s the only reason I got the 19. I thought ok, maybe I was to harsh to get rid of mine in 03. I see I wasn’t to harsh and I see no improvement in QC. I think I expected to much. So I am the one that is at fault. I was only sharing my opinion and what I would choose moving forward.

I was just curious. I guess it's luck of the draw. I ordered my 2017 new, and haven't had one issue mechanically, or with fit and finish. Good luck.

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Sorry, I was being to general. Let me be specific, I would buy a Honda Civic before I ever bought another truck. I have lost complete confidence that auto makers can figure out how to properly make a truck. While my wife’s 2013 Honda Civic looks brand new and has zero issues, as well as gets over 30 mpg.

That’s what I am saying. In my opinion these companies can’t or won’t make trucks without issues. Simple ass stuff like paint flaking off, brake issues, transmissions that can’t figure out what gear they want to be in. It’s insane! And that’s it for me, I have had enough, so after this I will move to a company that has figured out this car manufacturing thing. Good Grief!!!

But hey! Good luck, I hope if you decide to buy a truck that you enjoy it.

RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm looking to buy a 4th gen now or till next year and I have also noticed super thin weak paint but I guess that's the EPA's fault requiring water based paint jobs

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I have had to touch up multiple spots and have had it two months while it’s pretty much sat in the backyard.

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm on my sixth new RAM. The last three have all had 3:92s and air suspension. I have no intention of buying another truck without 3:92s or air suspension. Current truck is a 2019 Limited with 45K on it. I have had zero warranty claims to this point.

Buffchief52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e torque.
The Ridgeline isn't a "truck"
I had a 2014 Ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi. Traded it in on a new Ridgeline, needless to say Im back in another Ram after one year. Ridgeline is not a truck, its an suv with an open box. Works fine for occasion hauling but that v6 works very very hard when loaded, and towing anything.