Options for "Dead" Laramie 8.4 UAS head unit ? (2018 2500, out of warranty)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Posting on behalf of my Brother-in-Law. 2018 Laramie 2500 CTD.

There are other threads on close to this same topic - but many focus on connecting & coding 8.4 UAS radios as upgrades into earlier trucks or trucks with simpler trims. I would like to hear from those who: 1) have experienced failure of their 8.4 UAS/UAQ radio head units in higher trims that route the HVAC, heated seats, cameras, and other options through the radio. 2) had to choose out-of-pocket options to go with a salvage OE head unit, a new OE unit, or an aftermarket replacement (are those even available ?).

My Brother-in-law's 2500 CTD just had radio failure - and the failed radio drained down both batteries before he knew what was going on. He is contacting his selling dealer to see what goodwill pricing might be. I experienced a similar thing on my 2018 1500, but in my case the immediate cause was a faulty UConnect update that bricked my radio just barely inside the 36K bumper-to-bumper warranty - so my dealer replacement cost me mostly time and inconvenience.

The head unit is the camera screen, the HVAC feedback, and the only way to select/change other driver options, and I know from my experience that it can make a really nice truck feel unreliable and nearly unusable. The physical heater controls may end up not working properly when the radio-BCM communication breaks down (my event happened in Winter, so this was a big deal).

Thanks to those willing to share how you have dealt with this.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
When you say dead, what is occurring? Screen black but audio plays? No audio or screen?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
mostly-dead.gif