Options for Rear Seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67Vert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Hello Ram Forum,
I'm looking for used crew cab truck and really like the styling the of the Ram. My big hang up is the middle rear seat. From what I've seen most have a recessed bottom in the middle. I'll actually be using all 3 seats in the back and that weird little middle seat just doesn't work for regular use. But I have seen a '19 Ram truck with a decent middle seat (see screen shot). Is this a model year change or a trim level thing?

IMG_6567.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That picture is of the 2019 Gen5 DT body truck, you actually posted this in the Gen4 DS body section. The 2019 Gen4 trucks will have the "Classic" designation.
If your concern of the middle seat is for a child car seat, there have been several threads on this subject. Several members have responded that they have used car seats in all three rear seat spots without any issues or safety concerns.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will also note, in the gen 5, the floor is flat vs. the hump in the gen 4 floor.

OP
OP

67Vert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
That picture is of the 2019 Gen5 DT body truck, you actually posted this in the Gen4 DS body section. The 2019 Gen4 trucks will have the "Classic" designation.
If your concern of the middle seat is for a child car seat, there have been several threads on this subject. Several members have responded that they have used car seats in all three rear seat spots without any issues or safety concerns.

Not for a car seat, just for teen age kids. The gen 4 rear middle seat does not look comfortable for longer trips. Riding in the middle sucks enough as it is. The recessed design just makes it worse.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Not for a car seat, just for teen age kids. The gen 4 rear middle seat does not look comfortable for longer trips. Riding in the middle sucks enough as it is. The recessed design just makes it worse.

That stupid little seat is precisely why I’m in a Megacab. I’m 6’, my wife is 6’, 5’11” teenage daughter, 6’ teenage daughter, and 12 yr old boy who is 5’9” and looks like he’s about to fly by us all. None of us want to sit there.
C’mon RAM. Update the HD cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quad cab rear seats aren't comfortable for anyone over probably 5' tall. The bottoms are too short, the backs are too vertical and there's very little leg room. I would go for the crew cab if you can swing it.

OP
OP

67Vert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Quad cab rear seats aren't comfortable for anyone over probably 5' tall. The bottoms are too short, the backs are too vertical and there's very little leg room. I would go for the crew cab if you can swing it.

Thanks but I'm actually referring to the Crew Cab. The middle seat bottom cushion is short in the Gen 4. I was hoping the picture I attached to the original post was some option but it looks like that's new in the Gen 5 which is over my price range. And it would probably cost too much to swap a rear seat if I could even find one.

OP
OP

67Vert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
That stupid little seat is precisely why I’m in a Megacab. I’m 6’, my wife is 6’, 5’11” teenage daughter, 6’ teenage daughter, and 12 yr old boy who is 5’9” and looks like he’s about to fly by us all. None of us want to sit there.
C’mon RAM. Update the HD cab.

Megacab is way cool. But I don't think I'd find one in my price range and I really don't need an HD truck. My boy is 13 and just about to pass me up to be the tallest in the family. But he's the youngest so he usually gets stuck in the middle seat.

Russ007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Look at a crew cab with a rear bench seat. One piece seat all the way across

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’ve used all 6 seats, 3 in front and 3 in back with me, the wife, and 4 kids on long road trips. If you have teenagers why worry about comfort for the short term. I’m assuming they’ll be getting their license soon or just not wanting to tag along

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Look at a crew cab with a rear bench seat. One piece seat all the way across
This above. My 2018 CC has a straight bench in the back. No center armrest, just seat and seat back.

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This above. My 2018 CC has a straight bench in the back. No center armrest, just seat and seat back.
I think he's referring to the indent in the bottom bench in the center. This provides less support for the bottom of your legs. That coupled with the floor hump will make the center slightly less comfortable to sit in for long distances.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think he's referring to the indent in the bottom bench in the center. This provides less support for the bottom of your legs. That coupled with the floor hump will make the center slightly less comfortable to sit in for long distances.
Yeah, there is a bit of a hump and there is a little cut in, but it is not as bad as the extended cab ones I looked at, especially if you don't have the split seat and or center armrest. But the only way you are going to get a 3rd person in a Gen 4 for ling distance is to remove the front jump seat / center console.l, so they can stretch out. A child would be fine in middle, unless they are hitting over 5.5 feet tall