Orange Peel Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramvette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Though I really like my Limited 2019 Ram, when I look close at the paint I see a lot of "orange peel" in the metallic white. Reflections have that "ripple look." I'm not sure its because of that color but it is noticeable and I'm wondering if anyone else sees this in their paint?

OP
OP
Ramvette

Ramvette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 Vette has very little if any though I've heard of many that do......my Ram has it severe though it isn't easy to see and not keeping me up at night but it does seem to be on all body parts and extensive.

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 19 is WAY worse then my 18 is. The orange Peel on my 19 is embarrassing

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 19 is way better than my 17. Not only orange peel, but also dirt nibs. I have found 4 on my 19, on my 17 there were 63.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Clay bar, cleaner wax, wax, polish, paint sealer. All most all imperfections are gone.
I think these are the correct steps as in sentence 1

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clay bar, cleaner wax, wax, polish, paint sealer. All most all imperfections are gone.
I think these are the correct steps as in sentence 1

The only way to remove orange peel is wet sanding. I HIGHLY recommend not doing this to factory paint. The clear and base are extremely then. If you don’t burn through the clear you are severely jeopardizing the clear coat.

The other way to minimize is more tedious. CarPro makes a Orange Peel removal pad for a machine polisher. It is a labor intensive aggressive compounding step that will also jeopardize factory clear.

When I drove mine off the lot it went in the garage. I decon washed, chemical decon (dissolving rail dust and other ferrous iron deposit), clayed, light machine polish, then a sealant. Till I decide what coating I want to put on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Johnsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am impressed with the paint quality on my '19 Delmonico. No substantial orange peel or contamination. By contrast, my ZL1 has so many factory defects I have considered a repaint...but the I just want to drive it.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 19 is better than my '13. Every new car has it... also depends on the owner... some people can really notice it while others will never notice it. Luckily I don't think my '19 is bad at all.

Johnsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am impressed with the paint quality on my '19 Delmonico. No substantial orange peel or contamination. By contrast, my ZL1 has so many factory defects I have considered a repaint...but then I just want to drive it.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your truck came from the Warren plant you have a good chance of having a crap paint job. This has been a problem for years. It was suppose to be corrected a couple of years ago but evidently it has not been. The QC inspectors at that plant have to be visually impaired, and the robots that do the paint work, evidently don't take criticism very well.
Jay

Trevorjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 19 is much better than my 17. I also work in the paint shop at Jeep. You should see the orange peel that comes out of there

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We used to laugh about orange peel and tell people to wash their car in cold water and the paint will "flow out"----LOL
Jay

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We used to laugh about orange peel and tell people to wash their car in cold water and the paint will "flow out"----LOL
Jay

Sounds like a line from the car sales dept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Though I really like my Limited 2019 Ram, when I look close at the paint I see a lot of "orange peel" in the metallic white. Reflections have that "ripple look." I'm not sure its because of that color but it is noticeable and I'm wondering if anyone else sees this in their paint?[/QUOTE

OK so I was at the dealer today getting routine service done on my '18 today and walked the lot looking at the '19's. I have to say (and no offense to any '19 owners) that the paint and body panels are terrible. Every truck except the 2 straight white clear coat one were terrible in respect to orange peel. Also all the door skins look like washboards, especially the big lumps extending down under the front door handles.

If you ever need body repair to those panels the shop is going to be hard pressed to produce that wavy look, the peel won't be that difficult to reproduce just eliminate the cut and buff. Hope it gets better by the time I replace mine in a few years.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
OK so I was at the dealer today getting routine service done on my '18 today and walked the lot looking at the '19's. I have to say (and no offense to any '19 owners) that the paint and body panels are terrible. Every truck except the 2 straight white clear coat one were terrible in respect to orange peel. Also all the door skins look like washboards, especially the big lumps extending down under the front door handles.

If you ever need body repair to those panels the shop is going to be hard pressed to produce that wavy look, the peel won't be that difficult to reproduce just eliminate the cut and buff. Hope it gets better by the time I replace mine in a few years.

Don’t bet on it.
Hell just be glad the trucks are the same color from one side to the other

MaxB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Son-in-law works for Nissan. He said all automakers do it to hide flaws.

QuasarZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
If your truck came from the Warren plant you have a good chance of having a crap paint job. This has been a problem for years. It was suppose to be corrected a couple of years ago but evidently it has not been. The QC inspectors at that plant have to be visually impaired, and the robots that do the paint work, evidently don't take criticism very well.
Jay
How do you know which plant you’re comes from? And if known issue are they doing anything for remedy? My rebel is bad after going to look after this thread.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I didn't notice my Laramie had orange peel till today in the garage with the florescent lights on. It's pretty bad. Have any of you guys tried to get anything done to correct it? From what I've read, it may take a complete paint job to correct it.