Ordering a new ram 1500. Total Noob. Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rampilot89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Hey Everyone. I'm coming over from the Audi world and plan on ordering a new 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel tomorrow. Surprisingly I've never owned an American truck or bought a new vehicle before. I've always looked for deals on used etc...

I'm coming into this whole experience pretty limited. Any tips or suggestions on the new vehicle buying side? I'm planning on ordering a longhorn in the AM and am curious how getting more off MSRP works? I have 2 trade in vehicles but am curious during the negotiations how I can get them to discount. I will visit a few dealers to see who will give me the best pricing.

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

micko24

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try to secure the dealership discount... at least $7-8k.
You can’t ask the dealer for rebates because it changes on the month that you will be taking the truck in possession... so, as for now... ask for dealer discounts... then rebates when your truck arrives. Just makes sure don’t combine the two... ask for dealer discount right off the bat. As for your trades... don’t mention it until your truck arrives and your rebates are secured. Then negotiate the trade. Hope that helps.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Did you research the Ecodiesel yet? I owned three and all had problems and/or failures. I don't know that I'd be worrying about price discounts (most likely won't be there due to the hype with the new Ecodiesel as even Ford and Chevy aren't discounting their new diesels) as much as longevity of the engine. You might want to hold on to the Audi for a second vehicle when the Ram Ecodiesel is giving you problems. Personally, I'd give it six months to a year to be certain they worked out the bugs...but then again, I was one of their test monkeys on the last version...and regret it.

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/eco-diesel-engine-failures.8564/page-89

Ask any Service Manager or service writer if they have more issues with the 3.6L, 5.7L, 6.4L, 6.7 Cummins or 3.0L Ecodiesel. I did at two different dealerships and at both places the Services Managers stated they purchased the 3.6L, 5.7L or 6.7L (depending upon your needs) before ever purchasing an Ecodiesel.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You've got some good input so far.

You do need to know the value of your two trade-ins. KBB.com is a good place to start to get a decent valuation for each vehicle.

JimmyC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From my experience KBB.com trade in values typically are not real world values. They’re high. The KBB cash offer is probably closer to true trade in. Can also try Carvanna cash offer. It’s also closer to true trade in. Again, based on my experience and I’ve purchased/traded quite a few vehicles over the last couple of years. Perhaps others have had a different experience.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ordering will be less negotiable than buying off the lot.

if what you want is relatively standard, find it on the lot and work with the dealer, deep MSRP discounts can be had.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I and several of my friends have gotten the best trade value from carmax..seems dealers around here dont haggle much on the number if you have a quote from carmax..you wont get the best price if you order. pick from something the dealer already owes money on or is in the pipeline already for delivery to get the most incentives then dont let them sell you any add-ons. they make big money on those.

Reverse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're not comfortable with the buying process, consider using a car buying service. Costco has one, for instance, but there are others as well.

Jaybear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From my experience KBB.com trade in values typically are not real world values. They’re high. The KBB cash offer is probably closer to true trade in. Can also try Carvanna cash offer. It’s also closer to true trade in. Again, based on my experience and I’ve purchased/traded quite a few vehicles over the last couple of years. Perhaps others have had a different experience.

My dealer told me KBB means absolutely nothing when it came to arguing with my trade in. They too said it holds no value in the real world.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf