ORIGINAL Iridium Plugs at 223,000 Miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At about 100,000 miles I was thinking of replacing plugs in my 2014 5.7 Hemi, so I removed both from cylinder #2 (because it was easiest to reach) for inspection. They still looked brand-new, so I put them back in and stopped worrying about plugs.

At 223,000 miles, I’m getting a recurring “cylinder 2 misfire” code, and I naturally thought “maybe it’s the plugs”. So I ordered plugs from Rockauto and the Geartech swivel socket from Amazon, and prepared myself to get dirty.

So far I’ve completed the left bank (cylinders 2, 4, 6, and 8). To my surprise, the plugs look little different at 223,000 than they did at 100,000. Even the gaps appear not to be eroding. That’s a 1/16” (0.0625”) drill bit in the photo for comparison.

Another thing I noted was that the rubber spark-plug boots seal very well to the heads. There was no sign of dirt or water infiltration into the bores, and all plugs came out easily. I unscrewed all using fingertips on the extension once they were broken loose.

If I hadn’t already bought plugs, I’d probably clean these and put them back in. And now I’m sorta wishing I’d gotten Iridium again instead of Platinum, but both were recommended for my application and the Platinums had a rebate that made them about $2 apiece

My question is, do others see this plug longevity for NGK Iridium ILZFR5E?
The "left bank" (driver side) is cyls 1 3 5 7.

azmusclecar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just posted a thread about my 2014 Ram having 159K on it and in a stack full of records by the owner, Nowhere could I find a plug change. The truck is running fine.

My thread is about receiving possible NGK ripoffs and the gaps were over.50
NGK's website said the plugs are gapped at .43 or .44

I'm not here to steal this thread just to now think can I get 200K out of my plugs?

I'm 72 and don't put a lot of miles on the truck. Maybe let the next owner do it while
I push up daises.