Overdrive shorting, sparks fly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm afraid there is a short. I'm embarrassed to post this... this is to double check...on a 94 ram 1500, is the indicator light on or off when the trans is in overdrive? Also the O.D. is always on when the truck is started until you manually turn it off, correct? The 4wd indicator light stayed on for about a quarter mile after I disengaged it, I tried the reverse for a few feet trick and I confirmed It was disengaged even though the indicator was still lit. I turned the truck off for a bit, restarted it, 4x4 was still lit, but now when I start it the overdrive stays off until I push the button. this is opposite of what it used to do maybe I'm getting dementia, or do you think there's a short?

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Od light being lit means you have it off.

The 4x4 light probably just needs the sensor cleaned. 4bolts to pull the CAD housing on the back of the axle, spray the inside of the cover with some brake cleaner and dry it then reinstall. Usually works

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Isn't there a vacuum tube up front around the transfer case that if gets old and cracked, affects the 4x4 on those years?

OP
OP
94ram1500

94ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes there is a vacuum line, I guess I'm going to have to spend some time under the truck, I have taken that truck in gnarly places

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956