Own: Ram 1500 Laramie; Test Drove: Sierra 1500 Denali; Still Like Ram More

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TL; DR: Have 2014 Ram. Drove 2015 Sierra today. Still like Ram better

Been reading a lot about the Sierra in 2015, especially since the 6.2L V8 makes a lot more torque (460 ft-lbs) and they upgraded to 8-speed transmissions also. The 2016s will get LED headlamps, too (AHEM, RAM REPRESENTATIVES - get after that!)

But I still like my Ram better (details below)

My truck: 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
Test truck: 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Crew Cab 4x4

Where Sierra is better (IMO):

1) Quieter at 70 mph by maybe 2 or 3 dB (didn't have an SPL meter but just my best guess); largely due to side mirrors about 70% the size of the Ram's

2) "Drives Smaller" - feels like you're driving a vehicle much smaller than it is

3) Clearer gauges (Ram, you should look into this)

4) 4G LTE Hotspot

5) Telescoping steering wheel (Dammit, Ram - this is really simple to implement!)

6) Driver & passenger grab handles on headliner (Ram, why don't we have these?)

7) Steps integrated into bumper. NGL - these were nice to have

8) Dampened tailgate. Yeah, we got Deezee tailgate assist but it should be simple to implement at the manufacturer

Where Ram is better (IMO):

1) Higher ride height; went offroading yesterday on a tough trail and no issues - I couldn't see saying the same about the Sierra I drove today.

2) Better ride quality. Even with the Magnetic Ride Control shocks on the Sierra, the small, high-frequency impacts were unpleasant compared to Ram's coil springs

3) V8 engine soundtrack. I'm really sound sensitive and while the Sierra was quieter (I strained to hear the engine below 2500 RPM), I enjoy Ram's blend of "V8 badass soundtrack" and "hushed freeway experience." YMMV.

4) Interior materials quality. Sierra, while nice, was still a work truck with lipstick & rouge. The interior execution couldn't compare to Ram in the details like how the air vents adjusted and the flimsy protective caps over the power & USB ports. Even a year older, Ram still wins hands down on interior quality.

5) Rear A/C vents from center console and under seats. I was surprised to see that Sierra had neither, even as an option.

6) Rear fold flat floor. Sierra didn't have it, even as an option.

7) Rear underseat storage. Sierra had this really, really cheap, flimsy, molded black plastic **** that wasn't even bolted down in 4 corners. I kid you not, this POS would lift up at the front b/c there was only 1 screw per side, near the back of the cab, holding it place. Totally unacceptable and really trashy.

8) Rear floor storage. Ram has it - Sierra does not, simple as that.

9) Rear legroom. Yeah, they're within an inch of each other but Ram's feels bigger.

10) Rear armrest. I think Sierra had one but I feel like Ram's was better executed and felt more premium when moving into place.

11) Side view mirrors. Sierra's mirrors were substantially smaller. The tradeoff is they made less noise at freeway speeds.

12) 0-60, sort of. Ram is slower to 60 by the stopwatch but doesn't feel like it. Sierra is measured faster but also doesn't feel like it. [Source: Car & Driver, etc.] I thought this would be a big thing but it's not; the Ram is fast enough.

13) Rambox is available. Sierra has nothing similar.

So there you have it - 10 months after buying and 16,000 miles later, I still like my Ram better and happy to say so. YMMV, of course. :) Hope this helps someone out there doing some cross shopping.

Last edited:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool review and comparison!

All I have to say is square wheel wells... I just could not deal with those. Everything else I could get used to, lol.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Nice review, thanks for the info. I have never been able to adjust to GM's square fenders, just plain ugly.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
I came over to Ram from GM trucks. Honestly, the interior is one of the reasons I made the switch. Not that there's anything specific that is wrong with the GM, but the Ram just "feels" better. Higher quality, no squeaks or rattles which I always seemed to deal with before.

I have had my 14 2500 for a little over 6 months and I am EXTREMELY happy with my decision to switch.

I still find myself just staring at it sometimes thinking how awesome the truck looks! [emoji41]

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drove a High Country with 6.2 and 8 speed and I still prefer the Ram. I agree with pretty much everything from the OP's assessment.

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I test drove a few Chevy's/GMC's

Even if you can get passed this on the wheel wells...
roundpeg.png

You realize that like-equipped trucks are 7-$10k more.
F-that.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really loved the look of the GMC Sierra and it was the first truck I test drove. Things that stopped the deal were: 1) Vibration issues where the driveline didn't feel "bolted down", 2) Ride was a bit jiggly and unsettled over any discrepancies in the pavement (yes I know it's a truck), 3) Lack of power with the 5.3 and 6 speed. Always felt like it wanted to upshift way too soon and I had to lay into it to get it to move.

First RAM I drove was a 2014 (new) Laramie 4X4 with 3.92 gears. What a beast--that's when I decided to look for that drivetrain, minus the 4X4. Interior was really nicely appointed and comfortable. Ride was smoother with the coils as well. Once I found the Sport for $9k off back in April it was a no brainer. $38,000 buys a lot of truck!

Archaic2021

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 6.2L is an awesome motor.

From a performance point of view the motor is stronger out of the box and way more aftermarket.

Then again. Single cab express plus a few g's and you have a nice hotrod pickup.

I think most options to get the 6.2L in the Silverado/Sierra go over at 45K plust for those trucks I believe.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 6.2L is an awesome motor.

From a performance point of view the motor is stronger out of the box and way more aftermarket.

Then again. Single cab express plus a few g's and you have a nice hotrod pickup.

I think most options to get the 6.2L in the Silverado/Sierra go over at 45K plust for those trucks I believe.

I believe you have to get an ltz/slt or higher to get the 6.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I didn't want to bring up brand rep (this post was really about Sierra compared to Ram) but GM does still concern me.

This Guy's 2015 GMC Canyon Caught Fire And He's Had No Luck With GM

Why Hasn't GM Recalled These Two Trucks With A Similar Fiery Issue?

Oh look more GM fires...:flipthebird:

I think I've said this about 10 times on here already, I used to be all GM. They have gotten better but they really haven't caught up to FCA or ford..

I really don't like there new trucks, just two square.. The 5.3 and 6L80 is a solid drive train but it's everything else that falls apart.

So unless it's a Vette , Caddy V's or maybe a SS. I will never set foot in one.

And yes I know my Gran Prix is a GM, but love this car and I love Pontiacs. It's a shame they are dead.

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Cool review and comparison!

All I have to say is square wheel wells... I just could not deal with those. Everything else I could get used to, lol.

I like the square wells....on a big lifted application (6"+). Stock or lowered, no thanks.

TheFactor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really loved the look of the GMC Sierra and it was the first truck I test drove. Things that stopped the deal were: 1) Vibration issues where the driveline didn't feel "bolted down", 2) Ride was a bit jiggly and unsettled over any discrepancies in the pavement (yes I know it's a truck), 3) Lack of power with the 5.3 and 6 speed. Always felt like it wanted to upshift way too soon and I had to lay into it to get it to move.

First RAM I drove was a 2014 (new) Laramie 4X4 with 3.92 gears. What a beast--that's when I decided to look for that drivetrain, minus the 4X4. Interior was really nicely appointed and comfortable. Ride was smoother with the coils as well. Once I found the Sport for $9k off back in April it was a no brainer. $38,000 buys a lot of truck!
Had a vibration issue with my 2014 Chevy Silverado exactly between 20 and 30 mph except when on the gas taking off .It was like driving on a rumble strip or very rough road . Dealer said it was normal . Had the truck for only 9 months 6400 miles . It was driving me nuts so traded it in and took a big hit on the trade in value but got a smoking deal on my 2015 ram hemi 4x4 quad cab . The vibration is well known but General Motors is ignoring it and doing very few buy backs from what I've read on other forums . Some have the vibration worse then others and at different speeds . Mine was just enough to annoy you and I'm so glad I made the switch . This ram drives so nice and seems to be a great truck .