P0305...blown head gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Cylinder 5 misfire.

Had slosh sound in dash for a few days. Checked coolant it was low.
Other than a one time stumble/rough idle the other day that only lasted a few seconfs the truck was running perfect. Added a gallon and a half of coolant Friday. An hour later the check engine light comes on. Key dance and the code. Reset and it came back yesterday afternoon after a 40 mile round trip and driving it around locally rest of the day. Had a slight flutter at idle. Took it to work last night and again no problem. Go to start it after work and it was a little funky turning over and I think I heard a clunky clank sound for a split second as ut started. Proceeded to drive and I noticed the exhaust was a little foggier than usual as I was driving down the road. About a half mile down the road I had a sudden loss of power and rough run for about a minute then it cleared out and drove fine the rest of the way home.

Started it today and it runs a tad rough at idle and again with foggier exhaust.
Now I noticed some soot at the tailpipes which was never there before.
The foggy exhaust clears up once it's fully warmed up.

WTF.

In 2 months I've dumped almost 4k into this thing and seems like it's not gonna stop.
I'm thinking the head gasket blew out. No coolant at all in oil.

Any advice or oppinions before I bring it to shop AGAIN tomorrow?
I'm seriously thinking about throwing a ******* match to this thing at this point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Nevermind. Putting a new motor in. Dropped at my mechanic this morning. Said if it is head gasket, ehich it's 97% thst it does, it's a waste of money. Throw away motor is what he called it. Said he just gaskets recently on a Jeep 4.7 and 2 weeks later the bottom end dropped out and he warned the guy it was a waste of money but he opted to just do the gaskets anyway. Totally pissed away 2k.
He's gonna check it out anyway at the remote chance it's something silly but we both know it's a head gasket. What a ******* kick in the ass. If I had known then what I know now I would've just spent 10 or 15k on a newer one with a Hemi. ****.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Thanks, me too.
please send donations in lieu of flowers.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Thanks guys.
I might push this project a little. I'm crunching numbers right now.
I'm planning on building a better engine for durability and performance.
Anybody with the 4.7 might benefit from my loss(& hopefully, ultimately my gain).
I'll keep everyone posted as to the progress and how far I push the build.