P0308 cylinder 8 misfire with loud tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
It was a wrist pin on cylinder 6 only. They will only cover new piston and rod in that cylinder under the warranty unfortunately. I’m not going to foot the bill to replace the rest as I’m very close to a good lease deal on a new 2018 Lamarie 6.4 box with pretty much every option except for the 32 gallon tank. I’ve got a choice of Delmonico red or True Blue Pearlcoat. Wife likes the blue better. I like them both LOL. Need to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
go with the Delmonico red its nice especially in the sun.

OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And the saga continues...just spoke with the service advisor - they dropped the pan and pulled the piston and such, only to find out that it actually was not the wrist pin after all - everything was fine. Turns out the lifter in cylinder 6 - the brand new lifter mind you - was defective. They replaced the lifter again and got the engine back together and running just now, seems everything is quiet at least out of the gate. They still have a bit of work left to do to get everything complete and still want to put some miles on the vehicle so we are aiming for Monday morning now.

On a separate note, my case with RAMCare is awaiting a response as well, hoping to get some kind of discount on a new 2018 RAM out of all of this, I should hear back either later today or Monday on this item.

OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
go with the Delmonico red its nice especially in the sun.

Yeah, I'm torn. The dealer I'm working with has the same truck with the options I'm looking for in true blue, maximum steel, and delmonico red. I think they may have a granite crystal as well.

If I get my truck on Monday, along with whatever RAMCare ponies up, I'm most likely heading to get the new 2018 Monday night.

What I really want is the topline Tungsten model, but I can't get a good enough deal to swing it.

OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So...got the truck back this morning. Immediately notice an odd vibration at low RPMs when leaving the dealership - along with an odd almost what I would describe as a humming noise. As the truck warmed up, it seemed to dissipate for the most part though. Figured it might just have been wear in on new parts, but am skeptical to say the least. The gas was dead on empty, stopped at Wawa, filled up on 89, grabbed some lunch while there, which took 10 minutes total. Started up the truck again, same odd vibration, same weird humming noise accompanying it. Just left word with the dealer again. Ugh. Calling RAMCare now to update my case. Fun fun. The saga continues...

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Damn sorry to hear this. Hopefully this bs will end very soon for you.

You're extra nice to this truck filling it up with 89, especially that you're about to trade it in...

OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn sorry to hear this. Hopefully this bs will end very soon for you.

You're extra nice to this truck filling it up with 89, especially that you're about to trade it in...

The dealer I have been negotiating with is about 150 miles away and I have to get through the rest of this week as well, it’ll be approaching empty again by the time I get through the week.

I’m amazed at the collective incompetence of the dealers and FCA itself. Finally got the discount code, specifically asked if I could use that code at any dealer and share it with more than one dealer. Was told that’s not a problem as long as it’s a genuine FCA dealer. Had one dealer validate the code and attempt to gloss over the discount and cover it back up with fees. Going to take a pass on that dealer as a result. Next dealer then couldn’t use the code. Now I have to contact FCA again and get the code reset or get a new code. Not one set of instructions sent on how to use the codes, rules of engagement, etc. Bad business practices and lack of proper documentation abounds.

Called the dealer who did the work on my truck about all of the vibrations and noises after the repair that continue. They downplayed the whole thing and basically said if there are no CEL codes then probably not much they can do. I’m beginning to see why several folks on here are so suspect of FCA dealerships for any repair work. The lack of dedication to customer service and really caring about customers is palpable.

Really makes me think twice about buying another FCA product unfortunately.

On a positive note, I ran numbers based upon the code and if my calculations are correct and I can get a dealer transfer for the truck I’m after I may just be able to jump up to the Limited model that I really want. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
It's ironic how many FCA dealerships are running away each time from trying to repair their own trucks, and how we - owners have to chase them around and fight them every time to make them do their job and deliver on their warranty obligations, only to receive half-ass a jobs and incompleted quick fixes at the end.

Could you please share how much was the discount that fca provided?

OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Close to a new deal on a new Limited model now. Local dealer is playing ball and meeting my requirements on new truck numbers and my trade as of last night. Hoping to finalize everything tomorrow if all goes well.

9th

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also got a misfire code(PO307),
My truck 2012 1500 5.7Hemi(71k mileage).

Vibration and losing power happens when pressing the gas hard during cruising.
I even put the shift to Manual(MDS-Off), same issue.
I tried a jack rabbit start, the powerful engine runs normal, no vibration at all.

Last August 2017, I drive the truck in conservative manner to Indiana from Florida (Back and Forth), it's all runs smooth unless I floored the gas especially when passing other car, no code because I release the gas immediately when 1st vibration felt. Running @ 70~90mph all the way.

Two weeks ago, I did not use the truck for 10 days due to family vacation(I am using a rental car).
When I came back, cold temperature killed my battery, jump start and drive the truck for almost 2 hours in Interstate then vibration comes back twice during that time(I floored the gas twice), 2 code PO307 recorded. I erase the code right after I replaced the battery,
Yesterday I drive again the truck for more than 4 hours in Interstate, same driving style to Indiana, same situation.

Doesn't make sense at all why is it this problem take place while cruising.

Isn't it that this problem included in Powertrain warranty?

Last edited:

chrism1367

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believer powertrain is 5 year 100k whichever comes first so you are out of warranty

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
If you purchased as 2nd owner with extended warranty its 100k added on to existing mileage. That was the way with my 2014 with 32k on it.

Reactions: 9th

9th

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believer powertrain is 5 year 100k whichever comes first so you are out of warranty
Shame on me, I missed that 5 years :p

If you purchased as 2nd owner with extended warranty its 100k added on to existing mileage. That was the way with my 2014 with 32k on it.
Same here with extended warranty, I need to check 1st if they can provide a loaner car before leaving the truck for repair.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shame on me, I missed that 5 years :p

Same here with extended warranty, I need to check 1st if they can provide a loaner car before leaving the truck for repair.

So you're saying you purchased an extended warranty on your truck yes? If so, then depending on the type of warranty and coverage, you may or may not be covered for the repair, depending on what is actually wrong.

OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Providing an update on my situation. I've been making due with my current truck since last report. The engine definitely isn't the same to me, but still no codes to speak of and once the engine warms up most of the apparent vibration subsides. The one dealer I was attempting to dealer transfer from for the new truck I was after would not play ball with my local dealer, so had to look elsewhere. Took several days to track down another truck that met my requirements, but finally found one that was still in transit to the dealer in question from port. The new truck finally arrived at the dealer yesterday, and my local dealer is securing the invoice and facilitating transfer now. If all goes well I should be signing all required paperwork either today or tomorrow. It's a 2018 Delmonico Red, Limited Tungsten edition RAM 1500, 6.4 bed, with trailer/tow brake & mirrors package, sunroof, 3.92 gears, ramboxes, anti-spin differential rear axle. I will post up a new thread once I take ownership and snap some pics! :):cool:

The current dealer indicated 22k on trade-in when they test drove my current truck a few weeks ago, which is fine by me, all things considered. Gives me positive trade-in value on the new truck for sure. Unless something changes last minute, I should have my new ride by early next week at the latest. Can't wait! :D

OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gents,

Finally got the deal done on the new ride yesterday!!! [emoji1]

Snapped some quick pics below, will follow up with some better pics at a later time and on a new thread, been busy with other family events today.

1afdb8cbe82df3887854bc28e0120b92.jpg

31134a6a6af14d50531c7f29e85eabfa.jpg

c135dda98dde1ba6580cf5112aedca73.jpg

95da77d153ab501abf2ab70020648805.jpg

d61e1ec42684b7239ee6f59721085ecd.jpg

f95f28727cb7dcc5f88dd1ee3af2a5c1.jpg

e9a64ad8c84944e41741dc18cc023630.jpg

923db9725545bd195958d616783c7571.jpg

3b229d6d207becec95c18d7a3335b618.jpg

2aceca2f439f827939ec3b22128adf28.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Dude that thing is so sweet it makes me want to get a new hemi before they don't have them anymore. But I aint doing it, I am not taken another chance in this tick tarded ****.

But I gotta say that is a beautiful ride, keep good oil and synthetic filters on that puppy.

What was the damage out the door if you don't mind say'n?

Congrats, Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That's a quad cab, i tell you I don't know why the crew cabs are more popular, I like how much room the back seat gets. Or is it visa versa? I get the two mixed up, I usually get rc.

OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dude that thing is so sweet it makes me want to get a new hemi before they don't have them anymore. But I aint doing it, I am not taken another chance in this tick tarded ****.

But I gotta say that is a beautiful ride, keep good oil and synthetic filters on that puppy.

What was the damage out the door if you don't mind say'n?

Congrats, Burla

MSRP was 64k. With the special FCA CDI discounting and the lease rebates and trade-in value my payments are 450 per month for 39 months. I believe my residual value at that time is around 28k if I want to buy out the lease. CC lease factors are pretty low right now as well, equating to an interest rate under 1%. Lease rebates on 2018 models are also pretty good right now when compared to purchase rebates.

New 2019 RAM is debuting tomorrow so I will be very interested to see where the platform is headed. The new Silverado was just announced today and I must say GM is upping their game a good bit.

To answer your other question in your last post, it’s a crew cab with the 6.4 bed, so the largest 1500 platform you can order at present. I’ve had it one day and I’ve already taken advantage of the longer bed for hauling some stuff.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Those look like good terms, maybe I will have to look into the lease then buy option to keep payments down if I ever forgive Ram for that hemi tick.