Pacbrake Oil Filter relocation kit /Oil pressure drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Oil pressure for a Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi should be around 42 pounds per square inch (psi). Most car manufacturers recommend that oil pressure should be around 30 psi when idling and about 60 psi when the engine is running at higher speeds. We have many threads that have identified 30 for the Ram is too low long

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BlackRam403

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Thanks yes the two pics were not intended to be direct comparisons. I was just trying to show another member the digital display I was referring to. Trust me I was very careful to compare pressures given the same temps and rpm’s etc because I did not want to uninstall the kit. I understand pressures drop with temperature but there is a huge difference between the pressures with the kit and without under similar rpm, load and temps. I should have taken pics of pressures with both setups but I didn’t. On another note Pacbrake is paying for the return shipping which I appreciate. Maybe they’ll make changes to the kit in the future?

Thanks for all the feedback. I just wanted to give people a heads up as to my experience.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a large difference in oil temp between those 2 shots. The one with colder oil is going to have higher PSI all else being the same. I don't think those 2 pics are proving the kit is dropping your PSI. You'd have to test the PSI at exactly the same oil temp (down to the degree as much as possible) and same RPM as well of course.
At the numbers (PSI) he provided, I'd think he's just fine.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
if the kit was restrictive, I'd sooner think the PSI would increase?

It depends where you read it. Upstream of the restriction the pressure will be higher and downstream it will be lower vs having a lesser restriction. Regular ol car engine oil pressure is generally measured in the oil gallery on the block which would be post-filter oil and read lower if filter restriction was higher. Pump discharge pressure goes up as system resistance goes up, until the bypass opens.

With big diesel engines, on cold startup oil pressure is what I use to determine if the engine is ready to take load or not. Too much pressure = oil still too cold = flow rate too low. That is main oil rifle pressure which is post filter.

stdyrln

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just do it with -6 an full flow fittings- no noticeable losses, just need the ability to make the hoses and use any adapter you like. The filter/ relocation unit can be anything since your just running lines you make to it. I used Russell fittings and the cheaper amazon ones and both work the same. No difference in stainless of cloth covered hoses either other than stainless covered are more difficult to cut and handle. The only investment is in the Koul fitting/set up tool. Once you do them a couple of times, -an fittings start showing up on other cars and projects like magic.

1716220661247.png

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the pac brake kit last year and didn't notice the pressure drop at any rpm. Everything was the same before and after installation. Also have done filter relocation on other non-ram vehicles and also never had an issue.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just do it with -6 an full flow fittings- no noticeable losses, just need the ability to make the hoses and use any adapter you like. The filter/ relocation unit can be anything since your just running lines you make to it. I used Russell fittings and the cheaper amazon ones and both work the same. No difference in stainless of cloth covered hoses either other than stainless covered are more difficult to cut and handle. The only investment is in the Koul fitting/set up tool. Once you do them a couple of times, -an fittings start showing up on other cars and projects like magic.

View attachment 543211
-6 AN is only 3/8",i did my relocation kit in full flow -10 (5/8") fittings and hoses

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
About an hour on highway, no load, full temp on everything. PacBrake kit with RP 20-820, PUP 5W20. 51 PSIView attachment 543232
That's okay,but not what i'd call great psi for that rpm. At 2500 rpm my truck is making 59/60 psi,and my totally stock 300C is making 58/59 psi using 5W-30 Redline in both.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's okay,but not what i'd call great psi for that rpm. At 2500 rpm my truck is making 59/60 psi,and my totally stock 300C is making 58/59 psi using 5W-30 Redline in both.
So, "more is better"? At some point, high oil pressure will wash out bearings due to that pressure overcoming the oil's ability to maintain a protective film. Volume is another parallel consideration. Why do you suppose the Hellcats have both enhanced volume AND pressure? High volume pump from Melling fixes the problematic Triton engine VVT issues on Fords as well as other issues in all brands of vehicles?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone installed this?:

Engine Oil Filter Adapter - Mopar (53011252AD)?​

It is apparently in the TRX but it shows it is compatible with the 5.7. It relocates the filter forward to a horizontal position and has a built in oil funnel splash diverter.
I have the one without the additional lines, much easier to do.
FYI the TRX plastic drain protector #11 under this won't bolt onto a 4th gen.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So, "more is better"? At some point, high oil pressure will wash out bearings due to that pressure overcoming the oil's ability to maintain a protective film. Volume is another parallel consideration. Why do you suppose the Hellcats have both enhanced volume AND pressure? High volume pump from Melling fixes the problematic Triton engine VVT issues on Fords as well as other issues in all brands of vehicles?
The Hellcats also employ 2 seperate stand alone oil coolers,which eats up alot of the oil pumps extra volumne and pressure. It's also going to take alot more then 60 psi to wash out the bearings on a stock bearing clearance hemi.You're also missing the fact that every sharp cornered 90 in the system is another shear point,and flow restriction.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The Hellcats also employ 2 seperate stand alone oil coolers,which eats up alot of the oil pumps extra volumne and pressure. It's also going to take alot more then 60 psi to wash out the bearings on a stock bearing clearance hemi.You're also missing the fact that every sharp cornered 90 in the system is another shear point,and flow restriction.

All hellcats also have piston coolers/oil jets IIRC, they need a bigger pump for that. The 5.7s don't need that volume.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
All hellcats also have piston coolers/oil jets IIRC, they need a bigger pump for that. The 5.7s don't need that volume.
The 6.4's also employ piston squirters,and use the same pump as the 5.7's do,also one of the reasons why the 6.4's usually run hotter oil temps then the 5.7's do.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Since I really never paid any attention to my oil pressure prior to this thread! My pressures really don't vary that much! 44psi hot idle, 49psi hot @ 1500rpm and 51psi hot @ 2500rpm. Will be interesting to see if it changes on next oil change when I switch to 5w30.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    945.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1 MB · Views: 7

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
do you have a link or part # for the one you have?
I am pretty sure it's this one. More of a 45 degree but brings the filter out where it is easy to do. I RTV'd some plastic from a jug on the cross member so I can just loosen the filter and it runs into a pan and doesn't get anywhere on the frame or anything.

Oil Filter Adapter - Mopar (4893402AB)​

or this is probably identical

OR if you have an oil cooler on your stock filter housing, there's also this one.

OP
OP
B

BlackRam403

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Pacofortacos can you describe briefly the installation process for the:

Oil Filter Adapter - Mopar (4893402AB)​

Does it bolt right up? Any difficulty with installation?

Thanks for any tips or advice. I’ll likely go this route at my next oil change. I like the mopar unit as it wouldn’t cause warranty concerns.