Payload Rating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LossPrev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does everyone else have a massive discrepancy from what the Ram website says for your payload capacity to the door sticker? The website for my VIN says 1780lbs...door sticker says 1312lbs.

I realize options change the rating but shouldn't my VIN calculate that? This trucks payload is like 60lbs more than my 2015 and this was a major reason I wanted to move to the new truck.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
it was kinda depressing to find out the exact number. I traded my 2017 sierra 1500 to get more towing capability. while I got a more powerful motor and 3.92 gears and 33 gal. tank, which are all big improvements for me, I was thinking I was going to get more payload too. mine shows 1340# I think, which is about the same as my sierra. it is confusing because some sites say the cargo calculation is with 300# of driver/front seat passenger and full fuel and 70# trailer hitch...not bad but the yellow sticker says dont exceed for passengers and cargo. I am hoping it is referring to rear seat passengers and cargo. I wish I had looked closer at the truck before pulling the trigger and checked out the door sticker.

Tdecoursey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2500 longhorn mega cab and my payload is 1580. No figure but I pull 2547lbs of payload with no issues. I have The air suspension and has never alarmed. My investigations have turned up all kinds of data from rating of axle to the size of the tires and realistically I should have double what’s on the door. Not sure how or why they calculate so low but I am guessing taxes and liability.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Payload is what you are carrying which is part of the GVWR of your truck.

Towing capacity is what you are pulling (weight of trailer) which is part of the GCVWR calculation.

In other words, two different things.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
You can always buy after market springs to increase this rating. Though, I've seen plenty of people overload a truck, though you risk damage and death by doing so.