Pedal Commander ? Do I need it ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have a 2019 2500 Tradesman 6.4 Hemi

Read a bunch of reviews on the Pedal Commander all over the web at different places, and it sounded like a good idea and fun for a mod that wasn't terribly expensive, fairly non-intrusive and easily installed/removed, etc...

So I just wanted to post some feedback for inquiring minds that are considering it.

First thing is this truck requires a PC31. I dealt with them directly and after much discussion and emails back and forth and checking at their end, they sent me the wrong unit ... a PC78. Figured out pretty quick the plugs didn't match up ... RMA and got the right unit ... but still had to run around town to UPS, wait for the new one, etc ...

Here is the bottom line ... I don't think you need it. The stock response is actually pretty good for my needs. Didn't realize how adequate stock was until I installed this thing. The default mode when you first fire it up is "City", which supposedly tries to imitate a 1 to 1 ratio that one would experience in a conventional throttle cable set up. I have found City to be very touchy ... often I'm getting much more throttle than I expected ... has drawn comments from the old lady like "why are you driving like a maniac" even though I'm not trying to really goose it that much. So it does work as advertised ... question is do you want it ... gas tank has had a hole in it since installed, hard not to get into the pedal right now, but that will probably wear off once I'm done exploring the 36 possible settings. When I'm being "good" on the City setting and trying to drive like a normal human being, I find myself being very shy and gentle with the pedal trying to make sure I don't cause it to drop down a gear or two and take off like a bat outta' ... well you get the picture.

If you want to drive a little squirrelly and gas is not an issue, it is a fun mod ... The higher settings like Sport + have it downshifting and up on its toes with almost no throttle input ... just putting the slightest touch on the accelerator has the engine racing. For road trips or long drives when I want to be more fuel conscious, I can see value in turning it down below stock , has eco mode that really calms everything down. I'll keep it ... but not sure why.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Sure makes it quicker to get on the highway to safely merge with traffic. Not to forget how much more fun it adds to driving our Ram trucks

Blue Mule

Last edited:

bobeast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2017
Engine
Hemi 6.4, 5.7
I love mine. One thing to note is that whatever setting you keep it on (assuming you aren't constantly changing it), your foot will eventually train itself to the setting. First impressions are often "holy crap" but after you live with it for a while, it makes other vehicles you drive feel sluggish.

OP
OP
Johnny Ram

Johnny Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love mine. One thing to note is that whatever setting you keep it on (assuming you aren't constantly changing it), your foot will eventually train itself to the setting. First impressions are often "holy crap" but after you live with it for a while, it makes other vehicles you drive feel sluggish.

I do not doubt this one bit ... probably why I'm keeping it ... I'm trying to dial into the setting I think is correct for me so I can "train my foot". Right now I'm on City +1 ... I think that's pretty close for me assuming I can learn to keep it chilled out when I want to.

What setting (s) are you using ?

bobeast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2017
Engine
Hemi 6.4, 5.7
I do not doubt this one bit ... probably why I'm keeping it ... I'm trying to dial into the setting I think is correct for me so I can "train my foot". Right now I'm on City +1 ... I think that's pretty close for me assuming I can learn to keep it chilled out when I want to.

What setting (s) are you using ?

Mine is on sport +2 which more closely matches the Tundra I replaced.

OP
OP
Johnny Ram

Johnny Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure makes it quicker to 3on the highway to safely merge with traffic. Not to forget how much more fun it adds to driving our Ram trucks

Blue Mule

Agree on both counts ... just makes her even more thirsty is the counterpoint ... but yes the driving experience is more interesting !

Semper Fi Devil Dog

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Ooorraaahhhh

Blue Mule

ToTheDarkSide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank you Johnny Ram for this write up. I’ve been watching every video and reading everything that I can find on the pedal commander For the 6.4. I’ll probably get one. I don’t know why haha maybe because tuning voids warranty and I can’t leave anything alone. Now Only if this could shut Off MDS

OP
OP
Johnny Ram

Johnny Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you Johnny Ram for this write up. I’ve been watching every video and reading everything that I can find on the pedal commander For the 6.4. I’ll probably get one. I don’t know why haha maybe because tuning voids warranty and I can’t leave anything alone. Now Only if this could shut Off MDS

Yeah the MDS is an issue ... love the concept but it just doesn't work properly ... I'm getting pretty good at putting it into 8th gear as soon as I start rolling, creating muscle memory as to where the gear limit controls are, ... won't have to look soon, ha ha. Let us know what you think of the Pedal Commander once you get it.

OP
OP
Johnny Ram

Johnny Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is on sport +2 which more closely matches the Tundra I replaced.

I put mine on "Sport" today and am going to leave it there and try training myself on that ... figure if you can run Sport +2 I should be able to adjust to Sport +/- 0 ... will let you know in a few weeks or something.

Hammer757

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you mount the pedal commander so you can access it or did you hide it and use the Bluetooth app?

bobeast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2017
Engine
Hemi 6.4, 5.7
Did you mount the pedal commander so you can access it or did you hide it and use the Bluetooth app?

The short answer is yes.

I mounted in an accessible location because the spousal unit likes it on City. I tend to use the BT app on my iPhone to change it. If only we could wire it into the Memory Seats :)

OP
OP
Johnny Ram

Johnny Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Have it temporary right now ... just hooked it up and the cable is zip ******* to keep it away from the gas pedal and my foot and the head unit is in the lowest tray below the radio ... I'm still deciding where to mount it. I did read somewhere that a guy was seeing error codes being thrown by the truck when using the blue tooth to change settings but no issues changing it manually ... but have not tested that myself. I may keep it semi-permanent in some way a little cleaner than the current install ... I think I'm just going to keep it on "Sport" +/- 0 and forget about it ... don't feel like switching it around anymore and already getting my foot trained to that setting, so maybe I will tuck it away hidden.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sport+ 0 was the perfect setting for me. Mine threw a code a few weeks ago so I disconnected it for a few days. I have to say it was horrible driving without it. Got it hooked back up now and it’s how the truck should have come from factory. I have mine mounted here
e36d499e6c7996bbfacf182e26e5b6b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Carl Grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought and install the PC on my 17. Best thing I ever did. I was tired of feeling the lag when giving it gas when passing people or going around them. There was like a 2 to 3 second delay in response. Now I don’t have a problem any more. City +2. I had a 09 Tundra for six years. That thing would always make your head hit the head rest when you hit the gas.

Rt71668

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love mine ! I gradually got it to a setting I’m comfortable with. ( Sport +3 ) Well that was until a month or so ago when all of a sudden my pedal was all the way to the floor and my truck was going 20mph !!! I got a error code on my dash about throttle response and I thought my truck was done for !!! Anyway pulled off the road disconnect PC and within a min the error was gone and truck was fine. I was upset thinking I couldn’t use PC anymore had it off for a month or so and then said F it put it back on and had been fine ever since ! My mechanic told me it’s not that uncommon and can be caused by keeping it in high setting and be hard on the throttle. Sounded possible so now I keep it in sport +2

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Judging by what I'm reading about pedal commander, can't you basically get the same effect by just stepping on the gas pedal a little more?

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Judging by what I'm reading about pedal commander, can't you basically get the same effect by just stepping on the gas pedal a little more?
Not really, there's always going to be a bit of digital lag. The PC takes that away.