"PERFORM SERVICE" Light 1 hour after purchase.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clyness

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
I left the lot and on way home, about 1 hour after purchasing the "Perform Service" light came on.

2018 RAM 3500 6.7 HO Diesel
61000 miles

I've googled it and there's a long list of explanations... What's got me worried is that I texted the sales guy I dealt with and he's not responding.

Please tell me there is a simple explanation.

Thanks

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Start would be to pull codes. You don't mention if you have a warranty, but if you do take it back there so they can pull the codes. One of the best investments I've made was a scan tool. When a check engine light comes on for any of my cars I just plug it in and have a head start on what the issue is.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, good advice. I agree: go back right away and have them pull the codes. That'll alert them that something happened right away and put you in a 'slightly' better position (hopefully). It could be the previous owner didn't reset the oil light. A lot of people/oil change places forget to do it.

The sales guy probably didn't back to you right away bc he went down and bought that boat he'd had his eye on :laughing1:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Better to have the codes read at an independent shop with no vested interest. Any auto parts store will do it for free. Tell them DO NOT reset codes, just read them. Then you’ll have the facts. Take pictures of what is found.

If the selling dealer sold it with intent to deceive they’ll just reset it and send you on your way again, saying nothing was wrong.

I would certainly return to the seller, but with the codes known and documented.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Drive to your local auto parts store, ask them if they will use their scan tool to check for codes
They should give you a print out of any stored codes.

Then drive down to the dealership sales department & inquire about any known maintenance history. Especially the last Oil & oil filter change.

It will be rough, but listen to what he has to say & do NOT reveal what the auto parts store told you.
If they find the history & tell you what you already know ..

chances are they are being truthful, you will have to make that decision

They should see the Perform Service Message & if they reset the message without an explanation, question them

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Follow advice already given above, by others.
Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
60000miles is when the CCV filter needs changing. Preform Service is the message that pops up. Happened on the Cummins I had at that interval, too. It’s an easy, but not inexpensive filter, service to preform and the owners manual has the step and dance to erase the message.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had the same message on my 16 , 3500 . It the cover filter needs to be changed . Not a big job , get a new filter , remove a half dozen bolts pop of trim cover pull old filter out and replace .

Filter less than $100 and maybe 20 minutes . Pre def models were expensive because you had to clean the pvc valve and cooler . Go on utube and check out Motor city mechanic shows and explains the whole process .

The only thing is 60000 is a little early for that , 67500 is normal but mine didn't come on til 70000 so who knows . Goodluck

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Agree it most likely message is for the CCV filter and it needs changing, with only 61K it should not need the EGR cleaned, IIRC 2018 is the last year for EGR's needing to be cleaned...

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
I left the lot and on way home, about 1 hour after purchasing the "Perform Service" light came on.

2018 RAM 3500 6.7 HO Diesel
61000 miles

I've googled it and there's a long list of explanations... What's got me worried is that I texted the sales guy I dealt with and he's not responding.

Please tell me there is a simple explanation.

Thanks
Perfectly normal at 61K miles. As others have said it is your CCV filter needing changing.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From my understanding, the "perform service" light is simply a reminder that some routine maintenance is required such as a filter change. It is not a trouble light or check engine light saying something is wrong. I would look in the owner's manual and it will probably explain it.
Can't remember off hand on my '16 Hemi 2500, but is that the same light that comes on just remind you to change the oil?

Surge One

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The "Perform Service" notification does not come up on a reader. It comes on when the Crank Case Filter (CCF) needs to be changed. After changing the CCF you can delete the notification.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is it a Dealer lot or a used car sales lot, what is on the bill of sale?
Warranty, or as is where is? Could make a differences.

MJCs18Diesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Team, there are two FCA things (problems) I am not seeing in your replies.

When I purchased my 2018 Ram 2500 Diesel, I purchased a new Autel up-quality code reader and it will not read 2018 and newer codes because, according to Autel, FCA has refused to release code reader data. I'd love to hear the FCA Corporate reasons for this.

Second, I researched and found the 2018 and newer diesel Crank Case Filter changes are 67,000 miles. I changed mine at 60K, and I believe I am unable to reset the Service Required Light until the light actually comes on. I performed the light reset procedure after the CCF service, but have no idea if I actually reset the "timer" of this Crank Case Filter service as there was no light to"reset". mjc

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Team, there are two FCA things (problems) I am not seeing in your replies.

When I purchased my 2018 Ram 2500 Diesel, I purchased a new Autel up-quality code reader and it will not read 2018 and newer codes because, according to Autel, FCA has refused to release code reader data. I'd love to hear the FCA Corporate reasons for this.

Second, I researched and found the 2018 and newer diesel Crank Case Filter changes are 67,000 miles. I changed mine at 60K, and I believe I am unable to reset the Service Required Light until the light actually comes on. I performed the light reset procedure after the CCF service, but have no idea if I actually reset the "timer" of this Crank Case Filter service as there was no light to"reset". mjc
I find that very hard to believe that FCA is refusing to release the data. By law they have to make it available to outside vendors.

It is more likely that Autel isn't willing to pay FCA for the proprietary service information.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 87418 miles.