Picked Out New Wheels - Confused on TPMS (56029481AB?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I've picked out some new wheels, but I'm confused about TPMS.

I have a 2009 1500 4x2 SLT 5.7 Hemi with factory 20x9 wheels. Some are saying that in half of 2009 the sensors are a different frequency, but that its usually part # 56029481AB 433mhz. Is there any way to tell from the VIN?

Secondly, the pricing seems all over the place.

From tirerack, a mere single sensor is $40.

But then on Amazon or ebay, for $40 I can have four shipped to me in a couple days.

And alternatively there's an in-between cost option that is metal for $125 shipped, but again hard to tell what I'm paying for going for four going from $40 to $125 to $160.

Are the more expensive sensors really worth it? In a bit of a rush so have to get ordered tomorrow as I already bought some tires from costco and just now changed my mind on using this as an excuse to upgrade wheels to boot.

OceanRescue01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I’ve been told the cheaper sensors rarely “sync” properly and you end up having to go out and spend the 300 bucks for OEM ones anyway. I would just get what you know will work for sure rather than save a few bucks and deal withBS. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So for anyone reading this in the future, I found this online:

"315MHz and 433MHz sensor replacement
Starting mid-year 2009, RAM 1500 manufactured vehicles with 433MHz TPMS sensors. Therefore, it is very important to check the TPMS sensor information before replacing the sensor to make sure you are working with the correct frequency."

The truck is in the shop to have a malfunctioning doorlock replaced ($350, jesus), so when I have it back I'll probably swing by discount tire and see if they can confirm for me.

I also learned to avoid metal and stick with rubber stem, apparently less issues.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I bought the cheap $40 ones on Amazon and had them installed in my new wheels. They sync'd up immediately and have been flawless for 8 months. Somewhere I read that most all sensors are made by just a few companies so the expensive ones are probably the same as cheap ones. It's in a thread on this site somewhere.

OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to get it done, since TireRack was able to do 1-day delivery on the wheels and sensors (damn that's fast), I have these coming to me tomorrow along with what TireRack says are OEM Mopar sensors for $40 which is cheaper than elsewhere (and could be ********, won't know till I get them):

Moto Metal MO970 Black w/Spot Milling in 20x9x18mm

Total came out to under $1K shipped, and 5% cashback right now if you use chase w/ paypal for another fifty'ish back. Plus, hopefully I can sell my stockers w/ tires and stock sensors for a decent price to someone that likes chrome.

Excited!

wheels.PNG

OceanRescue01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gonna look awesome. Good luck with them! Make sure you post pics once it’s all done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Just to get it done, since TireRack was able to do 1-day delivery on the wheels and sensors (damn that's fast), I have these coming to me tomorrow along with what TireRack says are OEM Mopar sensors for $40 which is cheaper than elsewhere (and could be ********, won't know till I get them):

Moto Metal MO970 Black w/Spot Milling in 20x9x18mm

Total came out to under $1K shipped, and 5% cashback right now if you use chase w/ paypal for another fifty'ish back. Plus, hopefully I can sell my stockers w/ tires and stock sensors for a decent price to someone that likes chrome.

Excited!

View attachment 188552
great looking wheels, same ones I had on my 2015, but were black lip, Anthracite center, and on my 2019 below, have those in all gloss black.
easy to clean! :)