Please Help 5.7 misfire with Hemi Tick p0301

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2010 1500 5.7 I’m new to this forum

it has a rough idle and runs poor, when coming to a stop the rpms bog out like it wants to stall but corrects it self. It has a “tick” sound. It wasn’t throwing codes and just yesterday it did and got p0301 misfire cylinder 1

I went over it today and found 2 (so far) broken exhaust manifold bolts that hold the cover on. Doing a little research on here I see that could be the cause of the TIcking

My question is, with the 2 broken manifold bolts would that cause a rough idle and be the cause of p0301 misfire cylinder 1?

I’m fairly new to the hemis so any help would be appreciated

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Broken manifold bolts wont cause a misfire on 1 cylinder how many miles on it? replace coil they are cheap and check fuel injector if that doesn't solve it time for a camshaft unfortunately. Also a video of it running helps alot sometimes if you can get one.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
How many miles on it?

If it's an all original soon to be 12yr/old hemi, it's probably been through a few exhaust manifold bolts and like said above, is probably in need of a cam and lifters, or a whole new engine depending on overall condition.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Cam Lob is wiped, if you fix it come back and learn about lubrication strategies. If you work on your own vehicles we do have good dyi installs on cams, but it is no cake walk.

OP
OP
StephenM

StephenM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the helpful insight. It has a 159k on her. I will go ahead and swap coils and see if the misfire follows the swap and then do the fuel injector like you mention.

I did look into the cam and lifters and unfortunately that sounds very similar to what’s going on here. I’ll try and get a video and post as well

I will update then on what I find

OP
OP
StephenM

StephenM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Little Update. Misfire is still present

I changed the coil. Brand new injector. New plug. Compression was 205 across all cylinders

The ticking quiets while sitting and it’s just a faint tick after 20 minutes

driving it you can feel the small misfire and weird this is it won’t accelerate past 4000k driving

when you accelerate the CEL flashes then goes off

I haven’t an appt next week to take it to a shop. Most shops around me are booked out for weeks so this was the soonest

OP
OP
StephenM

StephenM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Not the best video but skip to around 46 seconds in to hear better

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a wiped out cam/lifter to me.

OP
OP
StephenM

StephenM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Akip
Sounds like a wiped out cam/lifter to me.
i was genuinely afraid of that. I’ll find out next week for sure.

would the wiped out cam cause the 4K rpm limitation while driving or would that be something else fuel related?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Akip

i was genuinely afraid of that. I’ll find out next week for sure.

would the wiped out cam cause the 4K rpm limitation while driving or would that be something else fuel related?

It will cause issues for sure replacing cam is not to big of a deal about $1000 in parts if you can do it yourself if you cant do not go to a dealer find a local shop with a good rep.

OP
OP
StephenM

StephenM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll have to start calling around and get some quotes and see then just in case. I hope that’s not what it is but it’s sure sounds like it could be

The strange thing is the Ticking or tapping goes away when I start driving it. I’m just left with the misfire and unable to drive past 4K Rpms

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just curious
When was the last time that the fuel system was given any kind of cleaning

OP
OP
StephenM

StephenM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious
When was the last time that the fuel system was given any kind of cleaning

I’m not sure, I just bought the truck about 2 weeks ago. Prior to that it sat for about 2 years with occasional start ups (which I didn’t know at the time).

There was about a 1/4 tank and when I bought it I put about half a tank in of new fuel. I took the injectors out and tested the spray pattern and if they worked with a 9v battery. I replaced the cylinder 1 injector with a new one. I added half a bottle of seafoam and injector cleaner to the tank as well.

it stalls on occasion while going up a hill or under load. I’ve parked it until next week when the mechanic can look at it.

Bdeere

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@StephenM

Did you find an answer to your problem? My 2011 5.7 just developed a cylinder 2 misfire. I changed plugs but that was not successful. I am a bit disheartened and am not sure where to go next.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
@StephenM

Did you find an answer to your problem? My 2011 5.7 just developed a cylinder 2 misfire. I changed plugs but that was not successful. I am a bit disheartened and am not sure where to go next.
Well, you have a few things to do still to verify that your misfire is fuel/ignition related or an engine mechanical issue.

Since changing spark plugs did not remedy the misfire I would get my hands on a compression gauge and a leakdown tester to verify cylinder/cylinder head integrity. You can rent these from your local O'Reilly's or other parts stores. You will need an air compressor to utilize the leakdown tester.

You can swap ignition coils from cylinder to cylinder and see if the misfire follows the ignition coil. If it does not then move to the next step. Only perform one step at a time so you know exactly what you did changed the misfire.

You can also swap fuel injectors from cylinder to cylinder and see if the misfire follows the fuel injector.

I would be leaning towards a wiped cam lobe and a seized lifter roller bearing at this time if you do not find a fuel or ignition related problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517