Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lheckel2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 SLT 4WD 5.7 Hemi with 183,000 miles.

These are all the codes I have currently:
-P0301 cylinder 1 misfire
-P0456 evap system leak (I have a small exhaust leak so self explanatory)
-P0153 O2 sensor 2/1 slow response
-P0133 O2 sensor 1/1 slow response
-P0430 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 2)

These are the dash lights I have on:
-CEL
-ABS
-TCS
-Service 4WD

The ABS, TCS, and Service 4WD light I believe to be the ABS wheel speed sensor. It was damaged and I haven’t replaced it yet.
I need help with the cylinder 1 misfire. First the symptoms.

-The CEL will only come on/flash only at high speeds/RPMs or if I get on it.

-After the CEL comes on the engine will run rough, vibrate, acceleration will be poor, and when I go to accelerate it feels like the engine is bogged down and acceleration cuts in and out with steady pressure on the gas pedal.
-When coming to a stop the RPM’s will fall out and the truck will be on but my engine will be off. I’ll have to put it in neutral and start it again.

What I have done & had done:

I changed the spark plugs and ignition coil on Cylinder 1 and I did a compression test (normal results) I then took it to a shop to have it looked at they said my drivers side up stream O2 sensor wasn’t plugged in all the way and was flooding my engine. They plugged it back in and sent me on my way. The code came back and I called they said to replace that sensor. So I replaced both upstream O2 sensors just to be safe. However still throwing O2 codes. The truck ran good after doing this until I got on it and the misfire code came back along with the same symptoms. It hasn’t stalled yet but I’m sure it’ll happen eventually.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
First thought, battery due to the number of CEL. However, classic cam lob symptom is misfure under load, it happens like that first before lob is completely wiped.

OP
OP
L

lheckel2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll have the battery checked & I was leaning towards the Cam lob being the real issue but wanted to exhaust other options first if possible. Thank you!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How old is the battery? Sometimes getting it checked turns out to be a untrue result. Ram forum is full of guys with 5 year old batteries that say it "checked" out but when they get a new battery anyhow it fixes it. It is because there is a gap between a batteries capacity and it's life. It can take a full charge, but a full charge at a lower capacity, and since hemi's need a lot of amps to start correctly, this has been a known issue even after getting it checked. If the battery is over 5 years old, I'd consider replacing it anyhow. I believe that evap code isnt related to exhaust. In this case important because a lot of those can be related, and then you possibly have a second issue as in the cam, as far as codes go, but then you have that evap and if there isnt a legit reason for a third code, then it makes battery a real likely culprit as far as the CEL's.

OP
OP
L

lheckel2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced the battery and alternator in Nov of 2022. So it’s pretty new

OP
OP
L

lheckel2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s not to say there is a wiring issue somewhere causing the battery to drain. I do have the electronic throttle control system light when I turn my key to right before start. It goes away after I start the truck. Also feel it would be good to add that the truck hard starts.

OP
OP
L

lheckel2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s not to say there is a wiring issue somewhere causing the battery to drain. I do have the electronic throttle control system light when I turn my key to right before start. It goes away after I start the truck. Also feel it would be good to add that the truck hard starts.
Isn’t a wiring issue*

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517