Plenum Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TyRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hey everyone im new to the forum. I am going to fix my plenum gasket this weekend. i got the whole kit off of hughesengine website. I have a couple of questions.

First on is where do i apply the rtv sealer. I tried to search for it and everyone is saying something different like the four corners ect. Just want someone to clarify that for me.

Second is there any tips you guys can give me that will make the process of fixing it go smoother.

also do i have to take my injectors off or can i leave the bar on there and just disconnect the fuel line plus what size fuel line remover do i need?

Thanks

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Welcome!!! Great first set of questions. I'll try to clear them up the best that I can.

1:
The application of the RTV is just a useful aid and there really is no right or wrong way to apply it. Only thing that you want to make sure is that the RTV holds the gaskets and the rubber seals in place for when you go to place the intake back onto the motor. That is all it is really for.

2:
Really the only tips are label and organize everything!!! Can't stress that enough. Also I hope you got new intake bolts as those a TTY or torque to yield. They are a one use bolt. Also some people will remove the fan shroud for standing room. That is up to you. I didn't I just went for minimum removal.
Another thing that you will want to check is that there is a small prebent hose going from the top of the water pump to the intake that I found breaks easy. So for like an extra 5 bucks go ahead and replace it and all the clamps while you are in there.

3:
You don't have to remove the injectors but you will have to disconnect the fuel rail. You will need a fuel line removal tool to do that. You will also want to drain the fuel rail of pressure. I just started the truck and pulled the fuel pump relay. and let the truck die. It relieved the pressure with no mess.

There is a DIY in the DIY section and there there is the service manual also in there to help ya out!

OP
OP
T

TyRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
ok so the rtv is just really to hold the gaskets in place and do you do a thin layer around the whole gasket. also do you need to put it on the plenum plate or can i just bolt that down witht he rubber gasket with no rtv. i am pretty sure i got all the bolts and the bypass tube. here is the link of what i got Hughes Engines

and for depressurizing the fuel line all i need is to pull the relay for the fuel pump and let my truck die. is this the first thing i shuld do is to pull the relay and start the truck till it stops?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
That's what I did first when I did mine. As for the Plenum plate you can use the rtv if you want. I didnt and have had good results. A nice thin beas on the intake gaskets on the heads to hold it in place should be good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
sounds like your getting the info you need from one of our experienced 2nd genners :p

if your interested in performance...while you have the intake off check out the "kegger mod" thread/DIY.

Tapatalk Addict

OP
OP
T

TyRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
ok thanks for all the great advice. i appreciate it.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
No problem. Here to help. If ya got more questions just ask.

OP
OP
T

TyRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
so for the rtv i want to put a bead all around the side gaskets.

also when scraping the side gaskets off can i use degreaser on them or shuld i just scrape so i dont get the fluid in the engine bc a towel wont stop alot of liquid. if that makes sense.

and for the torque specs just follow the hughes instructions

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The hughes instructions i thought were kinda bland. I used the diy here. As for getting the old off. Lay a towel in the valley to cover the insides and scrape it off or use some gasket remover on a rag.
The bead is like a real small bead under the gasket. So its rtv then gasket then intake. Hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
T

TyRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
I no the instructions is bland but is the torque specs good to.go off of?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I dont recall sadly. I want to say 125 inch pounds. If that's whats in hughes kit then you should be good.

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The instructions said specifically to NOT use RTV. I didn't use any and it worked great. The torque specs and sequence comes with their instructions. Pretty simple to follow. Just take your time.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
^^^^I didn't either but I think they might have been referring to using only RTV. But I'm not sure I didn't write the instructions.

OP
OP
T

TyRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
If you go to hughes engine link I post u can then click on the instruction link. So benny how dod u keep the gaskets in place when installing the keg.